Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does owning a Lexus bring.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 10:02 AM
CWIS250AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does owning a Lexus bring.....

A level of, well, brand-ism???

I started out in my early life owning a barrage of domestic cars. None of them new until I married. That was a Chevy Beretta. After a host of disposable cars here was a new sweet looking 5 speed that was brand new.

That car gave us 115,000 miles with only a busted clutch cylinder. Not bad for a Chevy I thought. But every other GM made car I bought new gave me the flux north of 12,000 miles. I even had a Cadillac Cetera that stalled (died) in the garage after taking it home NEW from the dealer. With not even 120 miles on it that poor thing suffered automotive crib death. Sold it after 1 1/2 years after the rattles and electrical bugs seems to multiply with each 100 miles.

I even was sold on the Chevy Astro. The dreaded mama bear of mini vans. More like a large, barge that had a mind of its own at times. It would serge (rev the engine) for no known reason. The dealer almost told me it was an option.

Well the last 7 years has had nothing but Japanese makes in the family. And it seems like you get the ol' "why you driving that" look. Seems like most folks in my sub have GM, Ford and Chrysler in the driveway. Some have the tell-tell, dead ride, since I have not seen them move in 3 years in some cases. When you have longer grass growing under your car then on your lawn something is dead, right?!?

This is in a sub of 280,000 to 320,000 dollar homes mind you.

So I have a Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder and now a Lexus in the drive way. Maybe its me but I seem to be getting a lot of nasty looks now. And the level of road manors has dipped as well. Not like it was high to begin with but some folks are going out of their way to jump in front of me and slow down on purpose now, or so it seems like it.

Anyone else experiencing this type of automotive brand-ism?
Old 05-30-07, 10:16 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that living in Michigan is the crux of your issues. You're in the cradle of American Auto Manufacturing! Most residents don't think too highly of foreign Marques that they incorrectly perceive to be the root of the fall of the American auto.
Old 05-30-07, 10:36 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you go with they are jealous because their cars are crap and youre in a Lexus!
Old 05-30-07, 10:58 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I would think that living in Michigan is the crux of your issues. You're in the cradle of American Auto Manufacturing! Most residents don't think too highly of foreign Marques that they incorrectly perceive to be the root of the fall of the American auto.
I think we have an answer
Old 05-30-07, 11:09 AM
UNMENDIGO
Rookie

Default i AGREE

I Agree With The Previous Post About Your Current Geographical Location. I Live In Southern Cal Where My Neighborhood Homes Are A "modest" 600k+ And I Would Say Every One In My "hood" Has A Japanese Or Some Other Typr Of Foreign Automobile In Their Driveway. Domestic ?? Only Beer And V'8's.....but Even Then....

Im Sure You Have Chosen Your Fleet Of Vehicles Because Of Their Reliabilty And Styling. I Once Owned A Chevy Corsica, A 1990 Thanks Decided To Give Me The Finger At 85k....that Was Replaced By A 1991 Honda Accord That I Gave The Finger To At 256k....ive Moved On To Better Things Since Then But Will Never Forget My Experience With A Gm Product.

So As Far As "brand-ism"..maybe..but I Look At It From The Other Side Of The Glass....brand The Driver Of Our Domestic Product As Someone Who Only Buys Their Vehicle Because Of Low Apr's.....i Can't Find Anything Else Postive Unless Your Into Plastic Side Cladding
Old 05-30-07, 11:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

And it seems like you get the ol' "why you driving that" look.
After you said that, the first thing I looked at was your location.

That pretty much explains it all.
Old 05-30-07, 11:26 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Some people will assume you're a stuck up pompous a-hole because you drive a luxury brand car.

To an extent, their prejudgment, while still wrong for them to make, is not without merit... I sure see a lot more a-holes driving around in BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc than I do in Chevy, Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc...

My neighborhood is in the low 400s to low 500s range and most people here drive reasonably nice cars with no particular one brand or country of origin standing out. The older cars generally belong to their 16-18 year old kids.
Old 05-30-07, 02:31 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I agree that the above is 99% right.
Old 05-30-07, 02:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Does owning a Lexus bring.....
A level of, well, brand-ism???
Nope, buy a BMW, Mercedes or a Jag and watch the hate begin.

Lexus people are middle class church goers for the general owner. It's the "white collar cars" that catch the crap.

If I didn't like my Benz so much I'd have sold it the first week from all the haters. It's amazing what you go through.....
Old 05-30-07, 02:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Nope, buy a BMW, Mercedes or a Jag and watch the hate begin.

Lexus people are middle class church goers for the general owner. It's the "white collar cars" that catch the crap.

If I didn't like my Benz so much I'd have sold it the first week from all the haters. It's amazing what you go through.....
What is a Lexus, then? Blue collar?
Old 05-30-07, 02:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

......of course you realize there is someone out there on a Ferrari forum right now posting

"does owning a Ferarri bring a level of brand-ism? I was hated on by a guy in a Mercedes today"

Old 05-30-07, 02:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Threxx
What is a Lexus, then? Blue collar?
Upper blue collar. That has always been the brand image. Lexus appeals to (upper) middle class families. Key word families. Lexus was designed to step up Toyota owners that had families to the next level.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 05-30-07 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-30-07, 02:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Hmm... well my Audi doesn't get anymore negative attention than my Lexus did - both of them get just a little. I wonder if I end up going with a 335i, next, if I will notice any change in that?
Old 05-30-07, 02:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Most def, especially since you're in TN.

You'll just be another "***** in a BMW" God I love rednecks.......
Old 05-30-07, 03:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Most def, especially since you're in TN.

You'll just be another "***** in a BMW" God I love rednecks.......
Strangely there's actually very few in the Memphis area. Now travel about 50 miles north, south, east, or west of here and it's 97.79% redneck.

Quick Reply: Does owning a Lexus bring.....