Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pending car purchase/lease decision: '08 Vette vs '08 335i

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 07:36 PM
miky702
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like what driftnsc3 said, 335i can look bad *** w/ the right mods. Otherwise, it looks long and boatlike in stock form. I'm not arguing that.

Not a hard core vette fan, but I agree that vette is probably the best american car out there. Its power + its potential for more power can't be beat. I'd go for it if I don't need the 2 extra seats.
Old 05-30-07, 07:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Plus girls love this thing. What girls think about the car isn't really that important, but I'm 23 and single so it's definitely a plus. I've picked up so many girls simply because of the car its incredible. Last Friday I had to show my friend the power of the Vette and the car pulled a girl for him too
Heh, well I'm 'only' 25... but also married.

Though no kids, so 2 seats should be fine, especially since this will replace the audi, not the 4runner.
Old 05-30-07, 08:37 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not, I don't really have an opinion on this one, Threxx. Although BMW's leases are usually a pretty good value, and I'd be more apt to go that route in a time when the economy is less than stable.
Old 05-30-07, 10:12 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

I would go for Bimmer. My friend just bought a brand new Vette, he spilled liquid on his dashboard and it leaked through and lets just say the electronics went crazy.
Old 05-31-07, 11:28 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 2006 Vette so I might be biased, but the Vette is in an entirely different class. If you don't need the backseats ever (I've already had to fit 2 girls in the passenger seat on 3 different occasions, plus one girl on my friend's lap and one in the trunk 2 weeks ago), the Vette is the much better choice
You put someone in your trunk?

I didn't even consider a 335i when I was buying, the Vette is so much better looking and performs so much better (plus you can take the roof off of the Vette since it's a targa)a boring 3-Series wasn't even in contention. The other car I was considering was a Porsche Boxster/Cayman S.
Of course you didn't consider the 335i, it wasn't out yet.

I'd get the 335i based on the fact the C7 should be out when your lease expires.
Old 05-31-07, 11:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
What business is our buddy in?

Old 05-31-07, 11:47 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OC 335i

Of course you didn't consider the 335i, it wasn't out yet.

I'd get the 335i based on the fact the C7 should be out when your lease expires.
My buddy and I had picked up some girls that night (partly thanks to the car) and were on our way to a motel . The girls didn't have a ride so we had to do what we had to do

The 335i was either out, or just about to come out when I got my car back in late March/early April. I actually wanted to wait until the end of April or the beginning of May to buy the car since I didn't really want to drive through the snow. A local dealership had a car with all the options I wanted though, so I jumped on it at that time.

I don't really understand why people are saying don't get the C6 because the C7's coming out. Unless you always buy a car the first year it comes out, a new version of the car will always be a few years down the road. Plus the Corvette has one of the longest model cycles of any car period. It's been around since the 50s and is only on its 6th generation. The last one went from 1997-2004. I know there are rumors about a new one coming out in 2010, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a car in 2007.
Old 05-31-07, 11:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I don't really understand why people are saying don't get the C6 because the C7's coming out. Unless you always buy a car the first year it comes out, a new version of the car will always be a few years down the road. Plus the Corvette has one of the longest model cycles of any car period. It's been around since the 50s and is only on its 6th generation. The last one went from 1997-2004. I know there are rumors about a new one coming out in 2010, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a car in 2007.
I think because rumor has it that the 2010 C7 will be the first dramatic redesign of the Vette since the 1997 C5. If it was just a minor revision like it was from the C5 to the C6 then maybe it wouldn't be as tempting to wait.

Actually the biggest detractor for me would be that even though the new Vette would be out then - I REALLY doubt I could get it for anything close to invoice - even from Kerbeck.
Old 05-31-07, 11:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I haven't driven either car, but I would say get the Vette! 3-series are a dime a dozen on the road.
Old 05-31-07, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK...I'll chime in now.

Get the 'Vette. I think, in the long run, you will be happier with it. I reviewed a standard C6 in December 2005 and was impressed with its overall driving ease......none of the left-knee-killing truck-like clutch and transmission linkage of past models. With 400 HP, a roughly comparable amount of torque and a lightweight fiberglass body, it will also handily outrun a 335, whether 0-60 or quarter mile. 'Vettes, as OLT pointed out, have always had reputations as rattle-and-squeak machines, but assembly quality on the (admittedly) new C6 I drove seemed much better than past models. The 'Vette will also be cheaper, in the long run, to service than a BMW (Bimmer shops are notoriously high-priced when the service is not free). The fiberglass body, of course, dismisses any worries about body rust, corrosion, door dings, dents, etc....., although the paint, of course, will scratch. Chevy dealerships are generally not as arrogant as some BMW shops are. And, last, of course, with Corvettes you don't have to put up with You-Know-What on the console between the seats and on the video screen.

Are there any advantages to the BMW over the 'Vette? Yes...of course. BMW's have a power steering system and road feel second to none. 'Vettes have only two seats and are extremely impractical...not so with most BMW sedans and coupes, outside of the Z-series. 335's in general, are not the cop magnets that 'Vettes are, especially if you drive a 335 sensibly. 'Vettes are also quite expensive to insure, especially for a younger male with a less-than-perfect driving record ( I don't know if this applies to you or not).

But, given the advantages and disadvantages of both cars, I think that overall the 'Vette is a better buy. Dollar for dollar, it has the performance of sports cars, like the Porsche Carrera, that run almost twice the price.....and noticeably better driving ease and build quality than in the past.

And all this, of course, assumes that you don't need a car that will handle slippery roads....neither of the two is a vehicle I would buy for winter driving. Here, though, the 335 has a slight edge.......'Vettes are almost worthless on snow and ice. In your TN location, though, severe winters aren't usually a problem unless you in the high elevations in the eastern part of the state.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-31-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 01:12 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
Heh, well I'm 'only' 25... but also married.

Though no kids, so 2 seats should be fine, especially since this will replace the audi, not the 4runner.
Dude, if you are single with no kiddies go for the vette. In a few years the wife might be lookin for some kids so the vette would be out, well at least less practical and like everyone else has said the new 3series are everywhere. IMO, Get yourself a real sports car now and settle for a bimmer later when u need the extra seats
Old 05-31-07, 01:40 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a BMW. You know you can easily get 335i upgraded under $1500 to be on par with Vette in performance. Just get Xede or Procede, and you'll be at around 400HP and 450TQ.
Old 06-01-07, 07:16 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texan629
get the vette. Can't beat the performance for the price.
I am in the exact same boat. I am looking at the C6 '07-'08 coupe, 335 coupe and the boxter/cayman (possibly S). I really like the twin turbo engines BMW has come out with and the potential to upgrade. The styling is much improved, however it is still too bland for me.

I have always loved Corvettes and would love to own one. I think the C6 is much improved over its predecessor inside/outside, the speed is intoxicating, the v8 rumbles, and you got a targa top. Not to mention, supercar looks. I regret test driving one as you can see. I also thought the handling was very nice compared to previous models.

The porsche boxtser/cayman are gr8, however might be out of my price range (since i want the '06 and up) and jst dont do it for me anymore.

Go with the Corvette.
Old 06-01-07, 07:56 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Get a BMW. You know you can easily get 335i upgraded under $1500 to be on par with Vette in performance. Just get Xede or Procede, and you'll be at around 400HP and 450TQ.
Well, for what it's worth, the best 1/4-mile time I've ever seen out of a Xede or Procede tuned 335i is a 12.8 @ 109 or so.

The LS2 Corvette in 100% stock form the best time I've seen was a 12.1 @ 117 and the absolute worst time I've seen is roughly on par as the aforementioned best time I've seen out of a 335i.

The LS3 will add 30 more horsepower and a substantial improvement to the power curve behind the peak, so I expect very high 11s @ 119-120 will be something we could see for the first time out of a stock non-Z06 Vette. A full second and 10mph difference is a massive difference in acceleration performance. So I would definitely not say "on par". The handling capabilities should also be far better on the Vette, though in my driving experience the 335i is definitely less dramatic about handling at the limits - it's more confidence inspiring... not as scary.
Old 06-01-07, 05:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I will be happy with either one... But my vote goes to Bimmer.

Quick Reply: Pending car purchase/lease decision: '08 Vette vs '08 335i