Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why I feel like it might be better to move the ES and RX to a Lexus dedicated chassis

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 08:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why I feel like it might be better to move the ES and RX to a Lexus dedicated chassis

It seems like the vehicles that have had the least amount of problems over time, are the Lexus-dedicated ones: SC, LS, GS, and IS. The two based off the Camry chassis- RX and ES, seem to really have their share of issues (mostly in the first two or three model years) morseo than the others. The GX and LX have had their share of troubles, but both have been pretty solid after their first model years and continue to be very reliable.

IS/GS/LS/SC cars seem to have rather insignificant problems for the most part and many go on with 200,000+ trouble free miles in their lifetimes. The Land Cruiser and 4Runner have traditionally been some of the best engineered and best built vehicles in the world, so being based off them does not seem to be a disadvantage for their Lexus equivalents. The only thing I can conclude is that the Lexus level of R&D, manufacturing, and their standard for quality is much higher than average Toyotas, and this difference shows through when you look at the lifespan of different model ranges. That said, I know that the current range of cars are the first dedicated Lexus models, but the manufacturing standard for Celsiors, Soarers, Aristos, and Altezzas must have been much higher than it was for Camrys, Harriers, Hilux Surf, Avalons, and others. Not saying that the RX and ES are bad cars, but they certainly do not adhere to the same standard that the rest of the range does.

With Toyota's continued growth has unfortunately come a slight dip in quality. The interiors on some of their new models are not as good as they once were or could have been, and certain aspects seem to have been overlooked, perhaps because of a rush to market or poor product planning. They have vowed to lengthen product development times and in turn improve quality, but it doesn't seem like we can believe them. The 6AT on the Camry and ES have been terrible, and yet, they refuse to acknowledge the problem and have finally diagnosed it as normal behavior for this transmission. Let's not forget the ever present acceleration lag that many people have dealt with either. Tundra camshafts are snapping now. There are more rattles in Toyota products than there have ever been before, and dealers seem uninterested in trying to fix them.

This sort of arrogance and this lower corporate standard is not going to bode well for the ES and RX, and judging by the new ES 350, I think we have a good idea of what to expect. Considering that these two vehicles are the closest related to Toyota products, it gives them the greatest chance for Toyota-type problems to spread across into our product line. Literally, the RX and ES are the "Camrys" of the Lexus line- the cars that they simply churn out 100,000 of a year and that bring in most of the profit. It might sound stupid, but I would venture to say that there is more passion and more effort put into LS, GS, IS, and SC models than there is into the others, and this zeal basically makes them the best engineered and best quality cars on the market. For other models, Toyota hands Lexus their chassis and hardware and they have to work around that, effectively eliminating some of the input that Lexus has into it's own products at the cost of operating profit.

When looking at the Lexus line, and considering overall quality and longevity, I see it like this:

LS/GS/IS/SC

GX/LX

RX/ES

On the flip side, is it a matter of you get what you pay for? I would think not since an IS250 can be had for $32,000, and the ES and RX both start above that and reach into the 40 and 50K price brackets.

Just my .02 on all of this.
Old 06-02-07, 08:35 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's 2001 Camry was more reliable than my 99 GS400, and when something did go wrong it was a lot cheaper to fix too
Old 06-02-07, 08:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
My mom's 2001 Camry was more reliable than my 99 GS400, and when something did go wrong it was a lot cheaper to fix too
x2

My 99 GS400 is also the most unreliable car in the household. My dad's 93 Camry V6 doesn't have a problem at all. I had to fix my car a few times and it left me stranded too
Old 06-02-07, 08:54 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Before the TOYOTA Prius came out the most reliable vehicle on the road was the Corolla. This was partly due to not having 2 many electrical interior functions that u find on more expensive cars, but the Corolla is a great design. Look @ the Chevy Cobalt, about the same interior amenities as the Corolla yet it has horrible reliability(actually 1 of the LEAST reliable vehicles on the road lol). The I4 Camry has been amazing as well. Lexus will continue to share the platforms to save $ and i think its a good idea. Toyota/ Lexus do need to work on some recent reliabilty issues though.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 06-02-07 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-02-07, 09:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

You guys raise a good point in the fact that cars are far more complex now than they have been in the past, but the problems that Toyota is having are not being caused my electronics. Faulty transmissions, rattles, and poor interior quality are unrelated to any sort of electronics, which is an area where our cars are still superior IMO.

The Camrys and things that you all talk about, are far less complex and much less advanced than your GS's.
Old 06-02-07, 10:40 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
You guys raise a good point in the fact that cars are far more complex now than they have been in the past, but the problems that Toyota is having are not being caused my electronics. Faulty transmissions, rattles, and poor interior quality are unrelated to any sort of electronics, which is an area where our cars are still superior IMO.

The Camrys and things that you all talk about, are far less complex and much less advanced than your GS's.
There wasn't really that much about a 99GS that was more complicated than a Camry. All the parts on the GS that are known to go bad (shocks, starters, door actuators, ball joints, etc.) are on the Camry too

My mom's Camry has something like 260,000kms on it, my GS had 200,000kms when I got rid of it and the GS had more things wrong with it. That's not even the real problem though, the GS cost so much more to maintain it was ridiculous. Paying $1000 for a starter, $1000 for a timing belt/waterpump change, $200-300 for a single door actuator, etc. is ridiculous
Old 06-02-07, 10:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

My RX300 takes a lot more abuse than it would in the U.S. and I have had my share of broken shocks, suspension pieces damaged, squeaks, rattles, etc. The streets here are not the only culprit, and I take responsibility for my driving habits.

Camrys have been on the road officially here since 2002, when Toyota opened its doors, and I know of people who have encountered suspensions issues more, though not much more, than in the U.S.

Still, I would like to see a little more truck and less car in the newer RXs and leave more of the car part to vehicles like the RAV4.
Old 06-02-07, 10:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Still, I would like to see a little more truck and less car in the newer RXs and leave more of the car part to vehicles like the RAV4.
I wouldn't. If you need a truck-based SUV, you need to get the GX. I'm betting the GX or a 4runner would suit your driving habits and local far better - and with far fewer things broken or worn out.
Old 06-02-07, 11:12 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would like to see the ES moved off on to a separate platform if its mission profile can be resolved in a specific direction (RWD? competing with GS or what?). I think there is a definite valid point in that Lexus-only designs seem to have more attention lavished on them as Lexus models.

Next up is the new RX. Compared to the very Camry-similar ES 350 (under the skin), I've always felt the RX was more different, and more Lexus-like. Plus the segment that the RX created is now a lot more competitive, while the ES 350 has the 'comfort luxury' segment largely to itself now. Hopefully the RX will continue to set the standard when it comes out.
Old 06-02-07, 11:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure about the next RX, but the rumour is that the next ES will no longer be on the Camry platform, which could mean a dedicated platform.
Old 06-02-07, 11:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

RX should swap over to the IS chassis

306HP RX350?

Ok so thats only a dream...
Old 06-02-07, 12:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

306HP RX350?

I don't doubt that the next-gen RX that is soon to come out will have 300+ hp.

I'd think the IS/GS (same basic platform) chassis would be great for the RX, as well.

I think that would cause issues though because you know then they'd want the highlander to be on that same platform, too. Plus, they've already got the stretched Camry platform setup with the Highlander and Sienna - they would have to do extra work to get the IS/GS platform setup for the appropriate dimensions for the RX...
Old 06-02-07, 01:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. our 00 Corolla LE was very reliable. Our 02 Camry was good but not as solid as the Corolla. We had A/C issues (turned out to be a faulty wire), a squeaking moonroof, squeaking driver's seatbelt clip receiver, each of the rear taillight bulb + the CHMSL have blown out within the basic warranty period (with the left taillight blown twice) and of course the simple recall on early production 02s regarding the plastic washer fluid buoy (that tells the computer when the washer fluid level is low).

Out of warranty issues, well it might be due to age since the Camry was the car we've put the most mileage on ever (106,000kms before a taxi took its life). The power driver's seat developed some "give" so I could sorta "rock" the seat.

Despite that, I thought the 02 Camry was awesome. All the luxuries you could ask for (we had the XLE model) but at a reasonable price.
Old 06-02-07, 04:10 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

306HP RX350?

rx350, rx450h
Old 06-03-07, 10:04 AM
LexFather

It seems like the vehicles that have had the least amount of problems over time, are the Lexus-dedicated ones: SC, LS, GS, and IS. The two based off the Camry chassis- RX and ES, seem to really have their share of issues (mostly in the first two or three model years) morseo than the others. The GX and LX have had their share of troubles, but both have been pretty solid after their first model years and continue to be very reliable.

IS/GS/LS/SC cars seem to have rather insignificant problems for the most part and many go on with 200,000+ trouble free miles in their lifetimes. The Land Cruiser and 4Runner have traditionally been some of the best engineered and best built vehicles in the world, so being based off them does not seem to be a disadvantage for their Lexus equivalents. The only thing I can conclude is that the Lexus level of R&D, manufacturing, and their standard for quality is much higher than average Toyotas, and this difference shows through when you look at the lifespan of different model ranges. That said, I know that the current range of cars are the first dedicated Lexus models, but the manufacturing standard for Celsiors, Soarers, Aristos, and Altezzas must have been much higher than it was for Camrys, Harriers, Hilux Surf, Avalons, and others. Not saying that the RX and ES are bad cars, but they certainly do not adhere to the same standard that the rest of the range does.

With Toyota's continued growth has unfortunately come a slight dip in quality. The interiors on some of their new models are not as good as they once were or could have been, and certain aspects seem to have been overlooked, perhaps because of a rush to market or poor product planning. They have vowed to lengthen product development times and in turn improve quality, but it doesn't seem like we can believe them. The 6AT on the Camry and ES have been terrible, and yet, they refuse to acknowledge the problem and have finally diagnosed it as normal behavior for this transmission. Let's not forget the ever present acceleration lag that many people have dealt with either. Tundra camshafts are snapping now. There are more rattles in Toyota products than there have ever been before, and dealers seem uninterested in trying to fix them.

This sort of arrogance and this lower corporate standard is not going to bode well for the ES and RX, and judging by the new ES 350, I think we have a good idea of what to expect. Considering that these two vehicles are the closest related to Toyota products, it gives them the greatest chance for Toyota-type problems to spread across into our product line. Literally, the RX and ES are the "Camrys" of the Lexus line- the cars that they simply churn out 100,000 of a year and that bring in most of the profit. It might sound stupid, but I would venture to say that there is more passion and more effort put into LS, GS, IS, and SC models than there is into the others, and this zeal basically makes them the best engineered and best quality cars on the market. For other models, Toyota hands Lexus their chassis and hardware and they have to work around that, effectively eliminating some of the input that Lexus has into it's own products at the cost of operating profit.

When looking at the Lexus line, and considering overall quality and longevity, I see it like this:

LS/GS/IS/SC

GX/LX

RX/ES

On the flip side, is it a matter of you get what you pay for? I would think not since an IS250 can be had for $32,000, and the ES and RX both start above that and reach into the 40 and 50K price brackets.

Just my .02 on all of this.
Umm, but the RX and ES also continue and have always won awards for quality.
If Lexus is selling 110k RXs and 70k ESs off a Camry platform and the majority of people are happy, well, I don't see why spin off another platform.

No car's quality will be perfect, not even Lexus. The ES and RX I had were just as reliable as the SC and GS, the only difference is build quality, you can tell the ES and RX are simply not as expensive vehicles.

Reliability of them all were equal to one another.

Quick Reply: Why I feel like it might be better to move the ES and RX to a Lexus dedicated chassis