Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus surpasses Benz in O.C. sales for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 09:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Lexus surpasses Benz in O.C. sales for the first time...

http://www.ocbj.com/industry_article...59&aID2=114066

In April, Toyota Motor Corp.’s luxury brand rose 0.5% from a year earlier to 813 new registrations, a barometer of sales. Mercedes came in at 798, down 12% from a year earlier. BMW, the No. 3 player in the luxury auto market here, came in at 700, down 16%.

The subtle gain for Lexus marks the first time the brand has surpassed Mercedes here amid a running battle. Lexus earlier surpassed Mercedes nationally. The dominance of Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport Beach has been a big challenge for Lexus here.

And the battle is far from decided: Lexus held a slim 15-auto lead over Mercedes here in April.

Newport Lexus, across the street from Fletcher Jones, has been a factor. So have rising sales at the county’s other Lexus dealerships.

Mercedes has its own firepower. Fletcher Jones’ sales were up 7% in April, though down 3% for the four months through April. Newly expanded Mercedes-Benz of Anaheim seems to be making its mark, with sales up 11% in April and 9% so far this year, according to the dealer.

The county’s two other Mercedes dealers aren’t faring as well. House of Imports in Buena Park was down 26% for April and is off 12% for the year. Mercedes-Benz of Laguna Niguel was down 21% for the month and down 2% through April.
Interesting result, as Orange County, CA has been a remaining Benz stronghold; Lexus is #1 in most other counties nationwide. When Newport Lexus opened there was talk of them taking the lead from Mercedes, and this month they have actually done it.
Old 06-03-07, 03:32 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Those are phenomenal numbers considering Fletcher Jones MBZ - Newport Beach is the #2 dealership in the country behind Longo Toyota according to Ward's 500 for 2006.

1 Longo Toyota Penske Automotive Group Inc. El Monte CA $661,321,700
2 Fletcher Jones Motorcars Fletcher Jones Automotive Group Newport Beach CA $529,308,296
3 Braman Motorcars Braman Automotive Group West Palm Beach FL $385,917,903
4 JM Lexus Patricia G. Moran Margate FL $385,479,904
5 Galpin Ford Galpin Motors, Inc. North Hills CA $381,796,306
6 Dave Smith Motors Dave Smith Auto Group Kellogg ID $379,651,050
7 Longo Lexus Penske Automotive Group Inc. El Monte CA $355,598,200
8 #1 Cochran #1 Cochran Automotive Group Monroeville PA $353,103,430
9 Crevier BMW Donald Crevier Santa Ana CA $301,996,026
10 Mercedes-Benz South Bay AutoNation Inc. Torrance $283,167,511

Newport Lexus (David Wilson Automotive Group) recently opened last year so they did not qualify for the 2006 report. It will be interesting to see how they rank for the year and the years to come.

http://wardsdealer.com/reports/2006/..._wards_dealer/
http://wardsdealer.com/reports/2006/...er500Chart.pdf
Ward's 2007 report should be coming up this month.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-03-07 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-03-07, 03:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

One thing i've noticed is that Lexus are somewhat cheaper out of the dealer, making them much more of a bargain than a comparable Mercedes. You can probably get an ES or and IS for about mid-$30k out the door, where as you have to bend over at the mercedes dealer just to save $10
Old 06-03-07, 06:11 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Lexus
Old 06-03-07, 07:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

That's great, good for you Lexus
Old 06-03-07, 07:32 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by GSteg
One thing i've noticed is that Lexus are somewhat cheaper out of the dealer, making them much more of a bargain than a comparable Mercedes. You can probably get an ES or and IS for about mid-$30k out the door, where as you have to bend over at the mercedes dealer just to save $10
Really? On the radio all I hear from FJ MB is how you can get a MB for the price of a Camry

Although the lease deal is absolutely terrible
Old 06-03-07, 11:28 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've also heard the "MB for the price of a Camry' ad on the radio, but I have not checked the latest Benz prices too deeply. It's probably true that the ES/IS have helped raise Lexus' numbers.
Old 06-03-07, 11:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Really? On the radio all I hear from FJ MB is how you can get a MB for the price of a Camry

Although the lease deal is absolutely terrible
Maybe the bare bones of all base models. I dont know the full details. All I know is that many people in my family that has bought a benz usually end up paying a lot more than the "sales" price. I've seen people ending up spending $60-70k on an E350 where as you can get a GS350 for at least $10k less!!
Old 06-03-07, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Hot Dayem (to borrow a phrase from 1SICK). So the reputation of new Mercedes-Benz products for unreliability is FINALLY starting to affect sales. Took long enough. They have been unreliable for years.....the slide actually started in the mid 90's and gradually got worse.

you have to bend over at the mercedes dealer
Bend over is EXACTLY what you will do at the Mercedes shop when you have a breakdown and it is not warranty or recall-covered. While Lexus service is not cheap, M-B, like Porsche, socks it to you BIG-time.
Old 06-03-07, 03:18 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Kudos to Lexus
Old 06-03-07, 03:23 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Bingo! Lexus is indeed the bargain leader compared to Mercedes, BMW, Audi thus the high sales numbers.. Gotta pay to play with the German automakers... In addition, Lexus cars ride softer than the aforementioned, thus gives the American consumer a viable alternative to the harsh riding German vehicles.. Those retiring babyboomers are not looking for early kidney failure by driving Mercs and Bimmers
Old 06-03-07, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

=DASHOCKER;2666838In addition, Lexus cars ride softer than the aforementioned, thus gives the American consumer a viable alternative to the harsh riding German vehicles.. Those retiring babyboomers are not looking for early kidney failure by driving Mercs and Bimmers
That is not the case with all premium German cars like it is with the BMW M-Cars and Mercedes AMG models....the Mercedes non-AMG S-Class, for instance, has a magic-carpet ride that is second to none. Consumer Reports said it was overall the best-riding car they ever tested (even beating the Lexus LS), and unlike some other soft-riding cars, had good handling besides.

It is no secret that the Germans can't make good electronics or hardware for their cars anymore, but it cannot be denied that they DO know how to design suspensions.
Old 06-03-07, 10:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice! i have been to both newport lexus and fletcher jones mb, i think lexus is at a better location on the intersaction, newer, more class, etc... maybe that's why a little shift?

but either way, i work in irvine / newport beach and i do see tons more mb. i see a lot lexus and bmw as well, but the number of mb just shoots up. it's crazy to know that lexus surpasses mb this time
Old 06-04-07, 07:39 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by texan629
So mercedes has slipped in sales for the whole month of april in california and you think it's over? Why not try global sales. I never see you complain about hyundai's dismal sales record.
MB in Europe isn't the same MB in the states
Old 06-04-07, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texan629
So mercedes has slipped in sales for the whole month of april in california and you think it's over? Why not try global sales. I never see you complain about hyundai's dismal sales record.
I'm neither complaining or celebrating, Tex. I only commented that maybe the poor reliability record of recent M-B products may finally be starting to catch up with them, that's all.

And, as for Hyundai's "dismal" sales record, in 10 years they have gone from being the butt of jokes and near-bankrupcy in the U.S. to the 6th largest automaker in the world.

Quick Reply: Lexus surpasses Benz in O.C. sales for the first time...