Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's wrong with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 10:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the interior of the 3rd gen GS, and I actually think the exterior design is not bad either. Nothing great, but still looks very nice and can be modded to look great. The problem for me personally is the new Infiniti M35/45, but more so the new G35 Sedan. After checking out the new 07 G35 Sedan with the new 3.5L engine, much improved interior and a really nice exterior design, my money in the $40-$50K range would not be a GS350 but a G35.
Old 06-03-07, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

3gs has been problem to me since day 1. i have no problem buying an IS or LS (money aside), but the gs i just can't see myself getting it. it looks way out of proportion in nature, just weird.

same with my wife, she doesn't like the 3gs at all, especially the rear / taillights
Old 06-04-07, 07:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its not a whole lot bigger inside than the IS, engine choices arent good until the 460 comes out. I also think the interior is better in the IS than the GS
Old 06-04-07, 07:52 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one don't have too much of an issue with the GS' looks. I will say it doesn't look too great on the outside, but my personal opinion is that holds true for almost ALL of Lexus' lineup. The GS doesn't look bad - it just looks boring. Same holds true for the ES, IS, LS, SC - I mean in some way or another it applies to the entire Lexus lineup... even now with "L-finese" which has managed to add some character to their lineup whilst at the same time making it almost impossible to distinguish some of their models from a distance.

I also think the interior is very nice - much much nicer than the 5-series, STS and Infiniti M. And a little better than the E-class and A6.

Places where I 'deduct' from the GS is its terrible road feel. That car is just NOT a sports luxury sedan, despite how its meant to be marketed. A Nissan Altima is more of a sports sedan than that car is, by a long shot.

I've also heard not so inspiring things about rattles being present in the GS. Now granted, it probably rattles less than several other vehicles in this class - but that's one thing that I like to think I'm paying extra to avoid by buying a Lexus - rattles and other quality glitches.

When I think of buying a 50k dollar German car I think 'damn this thing is going to brighten my day every time I drive it... it's going to be a beast on the road and push me every time to test the limits of driving. It may be somewhat problematic, but it's worth it to have that driving experience... plus I'll just make sure it's under warranty. I can overlook a few rattles'

When I think of buying a 50k dollar Lexus I think 'This is a really practical luxury purchase. This car is made in a top notch manner. Virtually nothing will ever go wrong with this car. I can depend on it to sooth me and relax me in a cocoon of silence. No road or wind noise, no harsh bumps, and no rattles. Just a rocketship of a motor and worry free comfortable safe and reliable driving. Sure it may be kinda boring to drive, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make'.

So you see - I can appreciate both the Lexus and the German approach to car building both in their own regards. But when I start hearing of quality glitches and rattles in the Lexus, I start thinking 'well hell, why not just buy the car that I already know will have rattles and glitches but will be a blast to drive?'

I'm unlikely to keep either one outside of the warranty anyway, so why bother with the 'likely more reliable' one?
Old 06-04-07, 08:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Compared to the competion, the 3rd gen GS is a turtle boat.. 300/306hp is not going to cut it in the mid-size luxury sedan segment. In addition, a true sport package is needed for the "Grand Sport" of the Lexus lineup. This car is ho-hum
Old 06-04-07, 11:12 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3rd Gen GS is very "Nissan Maxima" looking from the exterior for which I'm not a fan of the looks of the current Maxima. If I had to choose, the new LS would be the choice for me. I need a car that I can be proud of both inside and out.
Old 06-04-07, 11:39 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most everyone has hit the nail on the head (there are a multitude of reasons - even production was not mentioned). As a former 2GS owner, driving the 3rd Gen felt just like my current car at the time. I personally think the 3GS is one of the best looking cars on the road and probably one of the worst driving ones in its segment. It is meant to compete in the Sports/Luxury segment and unfortunately it does not do the Sports part very well.

I should also add that the LS is a very hot car right now and I expect sales to taper off after the first year (as they do with most new cars in this segment - check out the S-Class sales for comparison - or even the GS sales).

So my top 5 guesses in no particular order....
1. No new engines upon release
2. Lack of sporting intentions
3. Mail slot trunk
4. Lack of positive reviews by most rags (People purchasing cars in this category can and do read C&D, R&T, MT, Autoweek, etc.)
5. Production of current GS coupled with newness of LS
Old 06-04-07, 11:46 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
3. Mail slot trunk
This is my major dislike with the 3GS.
Old 06-04-07, 11:54 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

it's a shame really, because when i owned the car i liked the looks of it and, but i did always find myself driving around w/ the ECT button activated just so i felt the 'power'. and i would have loved it more had it had more of a sport feel to it out of the box.

what would have sold it for me was another option on the build list: Sport Package: ride height lowered, tuned shocks, perforated ALL leather steering wheel, brushed stainless steel/aluminum w/ rubber nubs gas/brake/dead rest, tuned exhaust for a more sporting growl, and 19" staggard wheels.

that package w/ the revised 306 hp motor would have been difficult for me to pass on.

but you're right w/ the trunk space: it's really tight...my E350 holds my child's stroller without any problem where as the GS we had to arrange it just so.
Old 06-04-07, 12:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by foofighter
Sport Package: ride height lowered, tuned shocks, perforated ALL leather steering wheel, brushed stainless steel/aluminum w/ rubber nubs gas/brake/dead rest, tuned exhaust for a more sporting growl, and 19" staggard wheels.
Note the above, especially the bolded comment - my thoughts exactly
Old 06-04-07, 12:24 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

HAHAH yes, as nice as it was, i thought it was a bit out of place for a sport sedan...oh and forgot one other thing maybe a darker headliner to match the darker sports contoured seats i can dream

oh and to further reinforce the topic of why the GS is having a difficult time in the market place:

Here's the review of the BMW 535 that's posted in this same forum...the GS has it's work cut out when vying for peoples hard earned money

Last edited by foofighter; 06-04-07 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 12:39 PM
Gotham
Rookie

The current GS doesn't have a "wow" feature. The second gen had the powerful V8 and green gauges.

The current GS is not ugly at all, but both the interior and exterior are somewhat bland.
Old 06-04-07, 01:08 PM
Auburnsky
Rookie

the 3gs are too plain looking, they really don't stand out to me at all
Old 06-04-07, 01:50 PM
LexFather

Here is why.
1. Knock-offs. What was once an original design, is no longer. Every got damn Nissan product including Infiniti took some styling cues from the 2GS. The 3GS came around and its no longer something special.
2. Marketing. The 2GS marketing was incredible. The 3GS marketing was forgetable.
3. Competition. The 2GS was the only serious contender from Japan. Now the Infiniti M35/45 (which is thousands cheaper) and Acura RL are good cars, where before they were hot garbage. The E/5/ heck Volvos, Caddys, everyone in this class has a very good car. Before most were rubbish and you had the GS, E and 5. Not anymore.
4. Awful lease deals. You can get in a BMW 5 or Infiniti M35/45 for the price of an IS 250 lease. GS leases are awful.
5. Size. Lexus barely increased the size of the 3GS. Everyone else has a car in this class that is as big as the old LS 400. Camry's are bigger than the 3GS. The Maxima is bigger than a 3GS. People do like a bigger car.
6. Engines. Lexus, while having a plan with updating engines, came out with average engines initially. I haven't seen a comparo with the GS 350 yet and the GS 460 can't come soon enough.
7. People saying its not sporty that have no idea. The 3GS is a sporting drive and if you don't think so, get your head examined. The Steering is not communicative but it is a good handling car. Not sure what the hell some of you expect, a got damn Porsche 911 with 4 doors???
8. ES/IS. The IS and ES have gotten so good, they are both heavily in GS territory, including base GS price when an IS/ES is loaded. The ES is bigger, the IS sportier and both blend luxury sport. Very tough for the GS.

Overall, while the 3GS has been a double, not a home run but it is producing. He is an earner While the magazines haven't had oral sex with the GS like some other cars, it more than holds its own. Edmunds for instance picked it over the RL and M45.

I just think while the 2GS was a success, Lexus really had to focus on making the 2IS outstanding and the 4LS outstanding and the GS kind of got lost in the shuffle.

I still plan to probably get one in the future.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-04-07 at 02:27 PM.

Old 06-04-07, 02:16 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I have driven both an 06 GS300 and an 07 GS350. I agree they do handle well, however I still think they need a sport package. Why? Looks can sell. When I see the mercedes C230 sedan and E350 with sport package... i just marvel at the beaty of the larger wheels, cross-drilled brakes, side skirts (at least on the C-class). Now I'm not gonna stereotype, but MOST of the people I see driving these Sport-equipped rides DO NOT seem like the type of people who even want to know what a lateral-g or skidpad is. The fact of the matter is, these cars look HOT. The GS could use some added sexiness... especially in flashy, image-oriented places of the county like South Florida.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the GS?