Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's wrong with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 02:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
7. People saying its not sporty that have no idea. The 3GS is a sporting drive and if you don't think so, get your head examined. The Steering is not communicative but it is a good handling car. Not sure what the hell some of you expect, a got damn Porsche 911 with 4 doors???
I owned a 2nd gen GS. I had a 3rd gen GS300 fully loaded up for a loaner car for 2 days. I think I even wrote a review about it here on the board.

It wasn't sporty. It certainly was no boat. But it was nowhere near the chassis, braking, and handling response and feel of most of the rest of the competition.

Hey, I mean maybe in magazine numbers if pulls the same or better skidpad, slalom, and braking numbers. But that's kinda like how my GS400 ran a 14.7 @ 97 in completely stock form and yet felt substantially slower than my Audi A4 does now (despite quite the opposite being true, in reality).
Old 06-04-07, 02:21 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a simple fact of the matter for the GS is that there is a little too much overlap in the middle of the Lexus sedan line. You have the less expensive but roomier ES hitting it from the bottom end and the much bigger and better LS hitting it from the top end. PLUS you can also get a crisp driving, better looking and slighly smaller IS if you really want a fun-to drive sedan. But the GS's biggest enemy seems to be its brother the ES.

Even within the Lexus line the GS's appeal seems somewhat vague, nevermind how it stacks up against the M35/45, E-class, STS and 5-series.
Old 06-04-07, 02:23 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BOTTOM LINE
It's all about the IS, right?...If Lexus never released a new model the GS sales would be up. The IS has taking the market by storm.
Old 06-04-07, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
I owned a 2nd gen GS. I had a 3rd gen GS300 fully loaded up for a loaner car for 2 days. I think I even wrote a review about it here on the board.

It wasn't sporty. It certainly was no boat. But it was nowhere near the chassis, braking, and handling response and feel of most of the rest of the competition.

Hey, I mean maybe in magazine numbers if pulls the same or better skidpad, slalom, and braking numbers. But that's kinda like how my GS400 ran a 14.7 @ 97 in completely stock form and yet felt substantially slower than my Audi A4 does now (despite quite the opposite being true, in reality).
Yes, b/c the majority of the cars sold in this class are sport equipped cars What have you driven in this class to come up to this conclusion? The GS is sporty, period. It is no sports car but its not that far behind the leaders in this class.

Never has any comparison said the GS is sloppy, the main complaints were VDIM and the engines were in need of some punch.

Both are now fixed but there hasn't been any recent reviews in this class.

Old 06-04-07, 02:34 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Yes, b/c the majority of the cars sold in this class are sport equipped cars What have you driven in this class to come up to this conclusion? The GS is sporty, period. It is no sports car but its not that far behind the leaders in this class.
I've driven the current gen 5-series and E-class. The 5-series stomps the GS in the aforementioned regards. The E-class... not as much so - still sportier but not by as much as the 5-series... though the E-class does have a nice 'vault' like quality to it that is not duplicated by either of the other two.

I was serious when I said the level of 'sport' of the 3rd gen GS is barely even on par with the current V6 Altima.

Of course that's just my opinion... but...
Old 06-04-07, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've driven the current gen 5-series and E-class. The 5-series stomps the GS in the aforementioned regards. The E-class... not as much so - still sportier but not by as much as the 5-series... though the E-class does have a nice 'vault' like quality to it that is not duplicated by either of the other two.

I was serious when I said the level of 'sport' of the 3rd gen GS is barely even on par with the current V6 Altima.

Of course that's just my opinion... but...
5 is sportier with the sport pack, without, I just find the steering better. THe E-class to me drives like a heavy tank, the GS is much sportier to me.

I have to chuckle at your comment the GS is barely sportier than an Altima as clearly, you have not driven an Altima. It "looks" sporty and handles like a Kia and if you read any review, you will see it handles barely average. I could not believe how bad this car drove.

You sure you don't mean the GS doesn't look much sportier than an Altima.

Old 06-04-07, 02:47 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i agree, the suspension feel on a stock GS vs a sport equipped E350 feels more floaty than the E class. I am convinced that if they just paid more attention and offered sport package they would be able to swoon some of the potential buyers of the same class
Old 06-04-07, 02:51 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I have to chuckle at your comment the GS is barely sportier than an Altima as clearly, you have not driven an Altima.
Well, I have - so clearly must not be clearly enough.

Don't get me wrong - the Altima is FAR from an ideal model of ride comfort and handling - but it DOES have the right chassis balance and steering response IMO, especially for this price range of car. I didn't get much of a chance to test out the brakes, though. One of my best friends had the model prior to the new one that just came out with the VQ V6.

I liked everything about that car except for the high interior noise levels and the horrible build quality all around. Two very big problems, for me.
Old 06-04-07, 03:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, I make a distinction between handling and sporty. Many cars have good handling and very respectable performance numbers, but are not sporty. The GS is one of them. It doesn't matter if the car puts down the numbers if the drive doesn't feel sporty. My perspective is the road communication plays a large role. This is the suspension feel, and most importantly the steering feedback.

For me, it really doesn't matter if a GS430/350 can out perform a BMW 525 in every performance category. The BMW 525 would still be a more sporty car in my opinion. I wouldn't buy one over the GS though. My old stock suspension BMW felt more sporty than any modified suspension car I've owned except for the NSX. That doesn't mean my 325 handled better than my modified Integra or even my modified Legend Coupe, but the driving feel and feedback you got from even that stock suspension 325 made you come away with a more sporty feeling. The GS just doesn't have that feeling no matter what performance numbers it puts down.
Old 06-04-07, 03:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

7. People saying its not sporty that have no idea. The 3GS is a sporting drive and if you don't think so, get your head examined. The Steering is not communicative but it is a good handling car. Not sure what the hell some of you expect, a got damn Porsche 911 with 4 doors???
Oh its sporty allright, and I'm sure it can handle quite well, but the got damn VSC, artificial steering, and throttle by wire completely spoil the experience. Let's put it this way, I drive my LS400 boat more agressively than my GS, take corners faster, change lanes at high speed with more confedence. I'm not saying that LS handles better than GS, that would be a silly claim, however with LS I know exactly how it will react to my input, it just provides great feedback, despite being a boat. With the GS, I simply don't feel confident, I get zero feedback from the steering wheel, and I'm afraid to trigger VSC.
Old 06-04-07, 04:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Here is why.
1. Knock-offs. What was once an original design, is no longer. Every got damn Nissan product including Infiniti took some styling cues from the 2GS. The 3GS came around and its no longer something special.
2. Marketing. The 2GS marketing was incredible. The 3GS marketing was forgetable.
3. Competition. The 2GS was the only serious contender from Japan. Now the Infiniti M35/45 (which is thousands cheaper) and Acura RL are good cars, where before they were hot garbage. The E/5/ heck Volvos, Caddys, everyone in this class has a very good car. Before most were rubbish and you had the GS, E and 5. Not anymore.
4. Awful lease deals. You can get in a BMW 5 or Infiniti M35/45 for the price of an IS 250 lease. GS leases are awful.
5. Size. Lexus barely increased the size of the 3GS. Everyone else has a car in this class that is as big as the old LS 400. Camry's are bigger than the 3GS. The Maxima is bigger than a 3GS. People do like a bigger car.
6. Engines. Lexus, while having a plan with updating engines, came out with average engines initially. I haven't seen a comparo with the GS 350 yet and the GS 460 can't come soon enough.
8. ES/IS. The IS and ES have gotten so good, they are both heavily in GS territory, including base GS price when an IS/ES is loaded. The ES is bigger, the IS sportier and both blend luxury sport. Very tough for the GS.

Overall, while the 3GS has been a double, not a home run but it is producing. He is an earner While the magazines haven't had oral sex with the GS like some other cars, it more than holds its own. Edmunds for instance picked it over the RL and M45.

I just think while the 2GS was a success, Lexus really had to focus on making the 2IS outstanding and the 4LS outstanding and the GS kind of got lost in the shuffle.

I still plan to probably get one in the future.
Hit the nail on the head. All of those reasons combined together is why GS sales are not that great, and why not a lot of people talk about the GS.

A GS redesign was overdue, and at the time Lexus was in a state of change with them becoming organizationally separate from Toyota, getting their own design studio, and introducing L-Finesse. Toyota rushed out the 3GS to market because it was overdue, and because the 3GS is the first L-Finesse car, it understandably looks somewhat bland.

The 3GS was released as more of a transitional model than anything else. New engines for the 3GS were not ready, the new gen Nav unit was not ready ... a lot of things were not ready.

Now here is the interesting thing: the GS hybrid sells very well considering it's production numbers ... and the GS hybrid is achieving high conquest rates from BMW and Mercedes buyers. The reason is that the GS hybrid is unique in the marketplace.

I fully expect the 4GS (and the 3GS in the next two years) to be more competitive.
Old 06-04-07, 05:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that this is a Lexus forum, but seriously sometimes the time spent lapping up kool-aid is surprising to me.

Contrary to what anyone on this forum believes, the 5 Series, E-Class, M, and A6 are all significantly better driving cars than the GS and if you didn't get that impression at the last Taste of Lexus event after driving them back to back, then I don't think there is really any hope for you. Hell, the Mazda 3 is a better driving car than the GS.

Lexus has this terrible "dead" on-center feeling, turning at low speeds is numb and artificial, throttle response is not instant, and when you do try to get aggressive it's quite obvious that the chassis is unwilling. It's ready to hustle, but certainly not prepared to dance. They pumped a considerable amount of sport into the current generation IS and look how successful it has been. The GS is simply a half AS_SED effort on Lexus behalf. The car wasn't given the right engines, features, or hardware at launch, it has had its share of quality problems, it's only marginally larger than the IS inside, and it's more expensive than the larger ES350 and is shy only a few horsepower and has many of the same options. There isn't anything that is "standout" about the GS when considering its competition, even that of it's own brother- the ES. In all honesty, it drives nothing like the E Class, M, 5 Series, or A6 and if you think any differently you need to have your head examined.

Shame too, because the car is very good looking and the interior is beautiful.

All of that said, I do still hope to own a used GS 350 sometime in the next few years. I don't need the extra space and love the styling and engine, and could turn to the aftermarket for suspension parts. As a new car on the lot though, the GS is up against competition that is simply more compelling for similar or less money.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-04-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 07:16 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just adding 19x8.5 wheels with ultra high performance tires has
made my GS handle MUCH better than stock. It has literally
transformed the car. That is why Lexus needs a sports package
with wider wheels and summer tires in addition to a stiffer
suspension.

Other than that I've always thought the GS was built so that it
would not cannibalize LS sales. Hence the dimensions. I also
agree it looks kinda funny stock. I definitely had to add mods to
this car for it to grow on me. Who knows, maybe the 2008 refresh
may help a bit...
Old 06-04-07, 07:33 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Mike, I have to tell you, you are in the minority here. Couple of quotes from Consumer Reports (where it placed last against the M35, A6, STS, and RL)

From Sept 2005
"The new GS300 is refined, but it's not the luxury sports sedan Lexus pitches; we didn't find it particularly exciting to drive. The Steering lacks feel and the car isn't agile"

"The GS is not very sporty, and has moderate body lean. The steering offers little feedback and feels numb at center. The Lexus reached its handling limits early, and the ESC intervened early to keep it on course."

From April 2006
"Lexus redesigned its GS sedan with the goal of making it sportier, but fell short"
"Although handling is secure, it isn't as engaging as its competitors"
Old 06-04-07, 08:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I know that this is a Lexus forum, but seriously sometimes the time spent lapping up kool-aid is surprising to me.

Contrary to what anyone on this forum believes, the 5 Series, E-Class, M, and A6 are all significantly better driving cars than the GS and if you didn't get that impression at the last Taste of Lexus event after driving them back to back, then I don't think there is really any hope for you. Hell, the Mazda 3 is a better driving car than the GS.

Lexus has this terrible "dead" on-center feeling, turning at low speeds is numb and artificial, throttle response is not instant, and when you do try to get aggressive it's quite obvious that the chassis is unwilling. It's ready to hustle, but certainly not prepared to dance. They pumped a considerable amount of sport into the current generation IS and look how successful it has been. The GS is simply a half AS_SED effort on Lexus behalf. The car wasn't given the right engines, features, or hardware at launch, it has had its share of quality problems, it's only marginally larger than the IS inside, and it's more expensive than the larger ES350 and is shy only a few horsepower and has many of the same options. There isn't anything that is "standout" about the GS when considering its competition, even that of it's own brother- the ES. In all honesty, it drives nothing like the E Class, M, 5 Series, or A6 and if you think any differently you need to have your head examined.

Shame too, because the car is very good looking and the interior is beautiful.

All of that said, I do still hope to own a used GS 350 sometime in the next few years. I don't need the extra space and love the styling and engine, and could turn to the aftermarket for suspension parts. As a new car on the lot though, the GS is up against competition that is simply more compelling for similar or less money.
I agree with everything you've said, besides the E class. I dont know about AMG or sports models of E class, but a regular E320/350 is very lackluster in every way.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the GS?