Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's wrong with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 08:30 PM
MB2006
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King7Two
I personally think the GS lost its visual appeal (to me that is).
I love the way the 1st and 2nd gen look. Its a visually appealing car. When I see the new GS's going down the street......they dont strike me with head turning appeal anymore. I find the other cars in that market to be more pleasing to the eye.

just my .02
+1 . .
Old 06-04-07, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The 3GS definitely has more capable handling stock than the 2GS did, but there's so little feedback from anything that it's just not exciting to drive. A very 'nice' car, just not a great one in any way.
Old 06-04-07, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I know that this is a Lexus forum, but seriously sometimes the time spent lapping up kool-aid is surprising to me.
How about I give you some kool-aid in person?

Contrary to what anyone on this forum believes, the 5 Series, E-Class, M, and A6 are all significantly better driving cars than the GS and if you didn't get that impression at the last Taste of Lexus event after driving them back to back, then I don't think there is really any hope for you. Hell, the Mazda 3 is a better driving car than the GS.
Incorrect, the E and A6 handle no better than the GS. PERIOD. Its just hard for some of you to accept that Lexus can produce a sporting car. Is it the sportiest? No. It is not the damn Caddy some of you are acting like it is.

Lexus has this terrible "dead" on-center feeling, turning at low speeds is numb and artificial, throttle response is not instant, and when you do try to get aggressive it's quite obvious that the chassis is unwilling. It's ready to hustle, but certainly not prepared to dance. They pumped a considerable amount of sport into the current generation IS and look how successful it has been. The GS is simply a half AS_SED effort on Lexus behalf. The car wasn't given the right engines, features, or hardware at launch, it has had its share of quality problems, it's only marginally larger than the IS inside, and it's more expensive than the larger ES350 and is shy only a few horsepower and has many of the same options. There isn't anything that is "standout" about the GS when considering its competition, even that of it's own brother- the ES. In all honesty, it drives nothing like the E Class, M, 5 Series, or A6 and if you think any differently you need to have your head examined.

Shame too, because the car is very good looking and the interior is beautiful.

All of that said, I do still hope to own a used GS 350 sometime in the next few years. I don't need the extra space and love the styling and engine, and could turn to the aftermarket for suspension parts. As a new car on the lot though, the GS is up against competition that is simply more compelling for similar or less money.
Drink up...........

Old 06-04-07, 10:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I was just beginning to like the looks of the GS...

But I somehow can't trust lexus when it comes to sportiness. You can have all the lateral Gs and accleration you want, but if I can't feel a damn thing, I wont be interested. My sister's 7th gen Accord feels quicker, even though my GS4 is quicker in reality. I did all the suspension mod I could to my car until I finally gave up and sold everything. I sure cornered faster with less body roll, but the damn steering is still the same!

The 3GS suffers from the same lack of sportiness. Yes it handles better than the 2GS did, but its far from a sporty sedan. It's just marketed as one. A 'sporty' vehicle is suppose to give you that adreneline rush. Numb cars just dont do that.

No one has to agree with me though...
Old 06-04-07, 10:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Mike, I have to tell you, you are in the minority here. Couple of quotes from Consumer Reports (where it placed last against the M35, A6, STS, and RL)

From Sept 2005
"The new GS300 is refined, but it's not the luxury sports sedan Lexus pitches; we didn't find it particularly exciting to drive. The Steering lacks feel and the car isn't agile"

"The GS is not very sporty, and has moderate body lean. The steering offers little feedback and feels numb at center. The Lexus reached its handling limits early, and the ESC intervened early to keep it on course."

From April 2006
"Lexus redesigned its GS sedan with the goal of making it sportier, but fell short"
"Although handling is secure, it isn't as engaging as its competitors"
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...17/015056.html
As mentioned, the GS 430 acquitted itself very well on the track, at a speed level higher than I'd drive on the street.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...lexus-gs_x.htm
•Handling. High-tech, anti-skid control and variable steering give the GS stunning precision during fast swerves or emergency maneuvers. The car goes where you want when other cars with stability systems might run wide at the same speed
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs430/review.html
Driven on back roads, the GS offers precise control with sharp turn-in and excellent overall balance. Although the GS 430's edgier Japanese and German rivals involve their drivers more directly, this midsize Lexus sedan can run with anything in its price range.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xus-gs430.html
Highs: Exquisitely smooth mechanical interface, refined operations, excellent performance.

I am not saying its the best handling in class, what I am saying it is more than capable to hold its own.

I am 100% positive it drives even better with the now optional AAAS, and no GS tested has been equipped with it.

Old 06-04-07, 10:16 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Well, If I remember correctly (and I do)......my 1GS couldnt even get out of its own damn way. But I LOVED that car.

2GS was just a killer car.....3 or 4, beautiful car. Looks great inside and out and rides nice IMHO. Never owned one.....but Im looking.

3GS is just......well...it exists.

From a former 1GS owner.......I loved the 2 and was excited about the 3. I feel let down. I've never driven the 3......but I dont need to. I dont like it.

Last edited by King7Two; 06-04-07 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 11:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it drove fine. Obviously not better than the IS, but it was good enough for everyday driving. More of a touring sedan than sports sedan. I like the styling the most out of the current Lexus lineup and IMO doenst blend in as much like the bigger LS460.

But considering that us enthusiasts make up a small percentage of the buying public, I doubt most potential customers are putting handling at the top of the list for this class of car which seems to be the conclusion most here are coming up with.

I think its not selling up to its potential mainly because of lack of great deals, availability constraints, no features that set it apart from the cheaper IS/ES, and also because the ES is cheaper and is about the same size, not because of its average handling.

With that said, compared to the 2GS, the 3GS is still outselling that model.
Old 06-04-07, 11:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Dunno about everyone else, i've always been a fan of the GS. The 2nd Gen definitely set the benchmark. The Pace Cars have always kept it exciting for me...despite it's rare appearances at Toyota sponsored events...

1998 CART/PPG Lexus GS400 Pace Car

2006 Lexus GS Pace Car

Old 06-05-07, 05:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't doubt that looking at the numbers, the GS is a reasonably competent car, but when you can not feel what is happening where the rubber meets the road (at ALL) you have no desire to push it further. You wouldn't want to push a car into a realm where you can't control it, and the GS can feel significantly numb and uninspiring when you get reasonably ballsy with it.

Numbers are one thing, "feeling" is objective and completely different. The GS, despite the numbers, feels far less athletic and willing to be aggressive than the leading cars in it's segment and once again, if you believe otherwise, I'll be happy to sell you a bridge somewhere.
Old 06-05-07, 06:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Dunno about everyone else, i've always been a fan of the GS. The 2nd Gen definitely set the benchmark. The Pace Cars have always kept it exciting for me...despite it's rare appearances at Toyota sponsored events...

1998 CART/PPG Lexus GS400 Pace Car

2006 Lexus GS Pace Car

Stickers and PPG paint don't make this car any different. Underneath the makeup, we still have the same uninspiring GS. Same novocain induced steering, and subpar driving dynamics.
Old 06-05-07, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Stickers and PPG paint don't make this car any different. Underneath the makeup, we still have the same uninspiring GS. Same novocain induced steering, and subpar driving dynamics.
Clearly most in this thread simply have not driven this car HARD. It drives STOCK how the 2GS drives with TRD sways, which some of us know is a night and day difference.

The steering is not communicative, I do agree.

Too many people in this thread are basing thier opinion on the GS without putting it through its paces accusing others of sipping kool-aid but they are the ones serving it.

GO MAG/INTERNET RACERS!!!

Bottom line is a sportier GS is not the total solution, it is really only a small part of the overall challenges this car is facing. However, you kids only are posting the same redundant thoughts. "Lexus isn't sporty".

Do ya'll know why Benz and BMW sells so many 5s and E classes?
1. Lease deals
2. Many different configurations, including wagons
3. Established and still the benchmarks for this class. They have been around for DECADES..

Old 06-05-07, 07:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

After reading this entire thread I believe the answer about what's wrong with the GS is very apparent. Noone really cares about it. This car has elicited such lukewarm and ambivalent impressions that it's easy to see that it has no lust-factor. No real apeal. In one way or another most other cars in the segment elicit some genuine passion in people. The GS, as one previous poster put it, simply "exists".
Old 06-05-07, 07:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
After reading this entire thread I believe the answer about what's wrong with the GS is very apparent. Noone really cares about it. This car has elicited such lukewarm and ambivalent impressions that it's easy to see that it has no lust-factor. No real apeal. In one way or another most other cars in the segment elicit some genuine passion in people. The GS, as one previous poster put it, simply "exists".
Like many entire car brands.

Old 06-05-07, 07:34 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AWD 3GS is still the best handling car I've ever driven, and
as I've said before with the right tires it is a lot more fun than people
give it credit for.

Somebody mentioned that a Mazda 3 handles better than a GS...
I had a Mazda 3 for almost 3 weeks and it is zippy and goes, but at
the end of the day, I take my heavy GS300 over that anyday. It
is far more steady under all weather conditions and is a far more
substantial car than a Mazda 3.
Old 06-05-07, 07:37 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Maybe I am biased ....

... but I do not think that the GS is such a bad car. I think it looks good - except for the tail lights that look like droopy eyelids to me. Engine power/MPG are good --- there is even a hybrid version.

The GS outsells all in its class except the benchmark BMW & Mercedes ... that should say something.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the GS?