Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's wrong with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 09:01 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fan of the current GS along with the "classic" 2GS, I must admit it is missing a few things. All of which have been mentioned in this thread. Hopefully a German like refresh is next now that the much needed engine upgrades have finally fallen into place. A few subtle touches would be nice. Overall the GS is a beautiful car especially in certain colors, it just needs a little more flair. Great thread guys!! The tastiest one that I've seen in a while. I love the drama. All of this back and forth makes for good theater and exemplifies what CL and more specifically CAR CHAT is supposed to be.
Old 06-05-07, 10:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GS has taken back the #3 position in monthly sales recently.
Old 06-05-07, 11:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
The GS has taken back the #3 position in monthly sales recently.
If you mean April & May 2007, yes. The M35/45 had a big month in March though & leading ytd . . .
Old 06-06-07, 02:37 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

The 3rd Generation GS isn't actually a bad car, but it just lacked the buzz and ohh's, ahh's of the 2nd Generation GS.

A sport package and even a GS-F could breathe some life into this car.
Old 06-06-07, 09:50 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rsantiago
The 3rd Generation GS isn't actually a bad car, but it just lacked the buzz and ohh's, ahh's of the 2nd Generation GS.

A sport package and even a GS-F could breathe some life into this car.
Most definitely. A GS-F is a no brainer! The car looks damn good, just a little Vanilla compared to 2GS. That's why a mid life face lift is a must. Look at how they did previous LS430.
Old 06-06-07, 01:22 PM
JDZ25
Driver

Another thing I think that is hurting GS sales (that is somewhat related to the bad lease rates), are the Lexus sales reps.

I recently came off a lease of my 04 GS300. I wanted to get into an 07 GS350. When I started speaking to some of the local dealers they all started to sell me on the ES and away from the GS.

Granted, this might be relative to me and my price point and where I wanted to stay with my lease payment, but all 3 of the Lexus dealerships I spoke to were trying to steer me towards the ES BEFORE I even started talking numbers with them about the 07 GS.

So, I think returning GS Lessees who are on the fence about what to get next are basically being diverted towards the ES and away from the lease sticker shock of the 3rd gen GS.
Old 06-06-07, 02:08 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was not a fan of the 3GS when it first bowed. I hated the headlights and thought Lexus could have done more with the evolution of the overall design. My wife wanted one, we argued and she won.
I have come to love the car...obviously since I now have 2 of them. My thoughts:

It is an elegant design with a hint of sportiness. From the rear, the haunches look muscular. From the front, it looks unique. From the side, it's sylishly unstated with lots of curves. I thinks it more attractive than the 2GS except for the front end...it's sleeker.

The interior was nicer in the 2GS but 3GS is still nice. If it has enough room for my big butt it must be okay. I like luxury interiors so this is right up my alley. I'm not very picky in this regard.

Handling is no where near sports car levels but once the wheels and drop were done, the sportness showed itself. Plus, it is way cool. Cool factor is off the chain with this car. 245 and 300 hp is enough for me. I'm not a racer but this car goes if you learn it's mannerisms.

Overall, Lexus could have done better with this and all their recent products. Seems the LS is the only one that makes me swoon, and even that is a mild swoon. Nothing like what I feel when I see a nice S-Class or CLS. Since I mod, it's all moot. Once modded, the 3GS takes on a higher level of satisfaction for me. I dig it and that's all that matters. I hope sales stay luke warm, less will be on the road. I hate seeing 300C's everywhere I turn. Same with Chargers...everywhere. I don't want my GS to be that popular.
Old 06-06-07, 02:13 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

To me the Es isn't even comparable to the GS.
1. The GS is rear drive
2. The Int. in the GS is a thing of beauty
3. Imo the GS looks like the Bad Azz of the Lexus family.
Old 06-06-07, 02:34 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the "attack" from both sides of ES and LS is a huge factor. Many people have mentioned this as well. The bigger room and few grand cheaper for the ES and not so much more to go up to the LS... The only reason I didn't pick either was due to the AWD available with the GS.

I also considered the RL and M35x and ALMOST went with an M35x... However, COMPARABLY EQUIPPED (Advanced Technology for M35x), the M35x costs a little over a thousand more. And there are just subtle details not even found on the M35x. i.e. automatic windshield wipers, rear sunshade, 3 sets memory for both driver and passenger seat, more power, and the biggest one of all, fuel efficiency. The 06/07 M owners have been complaining about the lack of the 6th gear which makes the engine stays around 3,000RPM while cruising at 70MPH. This was a big turn-off for me. However, the handling on the M is more sporty, which I don't really care for. I also believe the interior/trunk is bigger on the M but then again, I think the GS is big enough.

Bottom line, we obviously made the decision best for ourselves. As much as I'd to think that the number of units sold has any correlation to how great a car is, I don't. There are many extrinsic factors in play here, i.e. Lexus marketing direction (seems like they're pushing the ES more?) which affects the financing and lease rates, availability (which affects negotiation price), etc.

Maybe it's just me, I don't mind owning a car that's not as popular as some others, i.e. 3 series, G35...
Old 06-06-07, 02:52 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
I was not a fan of the 3GS when it first bowed. I hated the headlights and thought Lexus could have done more with the evolution of the overall design. My wife wanted one, we argued and she won.
I have come to love the car...obviously since I now have 2 of them. My thoughts:

It is an elegant design with a hint of sportiness. From the rear, the haunches look muscular. From the front, it looks unique. From the side, it's sylishly unstated with lots of curves. I thinks it more attractive than the 2GS except for the front end...it's sleeker.

The interior was nicer in the 2GS but 3GS is still nice. If it has enough room for my big butt it must be okay. I like luxury interiors so this is right up my alley. I'm not very picky in this regard.

Handling is no where near sports car levels but once the wheels and drop were done, the sportness showed itself. Plus, it is way cool. Cool factor is off the chain with this car. 245 and 300 hp is enough for me. I'm not a racer but this car goes if you learn it's mannerisms.

Overall, Lexus could have done better with this and all their recent products. Seems the LS is the only one that makes me swoon, and even that is a mild swoon. Nothing like what I feel when I see a nice S-Class or CLS. Since I mod, it's all moot. Once modded, the 3GS takes on a higher level of satisfaction for me. I dig it and that's all that matters. I hope sales stay luke warm, less will be on the road. I hate seeing 300C's everywhere I turn. Same with Chargers...everywhere. I don't want my GS to be that popular.
You make quite a few valid points especially from an owner's standpoint. You really sold me on your last couple of sentences. That's exactly how I feel about cars that I own. It sucks seeing a hundred of your car in the same day
Old 06-07-07, 07:24 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, the biggest thing was the interior space. Where did it all go from the 2GS? I was/am in the market for a AWD vehicle and the first car I looked at was the 3GS AWD version. I passed on the IS because I knew it would be cramped for me (6'2", 220lbs). I was surprised when in the 3GS I really couldn't adjust the seat enough that I was comfortable... this is coming from a SC. I took a test drive and always felt I was sitting too high, my head hit the roof and my vision was hampered. The 2GS my friend has is wonderfully comfortable and has great visibility and seat adjustability to my liking. I've decided to get a crossover or SUV instead. Too bad, I had my heart set on the 3GS. Fix the interior room and I may take a look at it again. Unless they make a coupe AWD...
Old 06-07-07, 08:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the interior space im guessing is the big killer, ES probably has more space, 270 hp is fast enough for most people most of which dont care for RWD in the first place. GS also needs the 460 engine soon or people will just hop to the LS
Old 06-07-07, 10:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea the interior space im guessing is the big killer, ES probably has more space, 270 hp is fast enough for most people most of which dont care for RWD in the first place. GS also needs the 460 engine soon or people will just hop to the LS
I don't know where you guys are getting this from. I have driven every ES generation and none have the legroom of the GS. Is you're talking about rear seat room, who cares about that. I don't ride back there and no one will either...except on very short trips.
Old 06-07-07, 02:24 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know where you guys are getting this from. I have driven every ES generation and none have the legroom of the GS. Is you're talking about rear seat room, who cares about that. I don't ride back there and no one will either...except on very short trips.
Never have driven the ES and I don't plan on it. It's AWD or RWD or bust. I've only driven the 3GS and the 2GS for comparison and I can adjust the seats to fit me way more comfortably in the 2GS. Only talking about driver's seat. Don't care about anything else. I was really looking forward to purchasing a 3GS until this.
Old 06-07-07, 03:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Front seat legroom: GS = 43.5" ES = 42.2"
Rear seat legroom: GS = 36.4" ES = 35.9"