Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda dropping the Accord Hybrid ( Next Accord to hit 60 MPG )

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07 | 05:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by mole
Screw putting it in the Accord, whats the point?
Originally Posted by mole
Reliable and fuel efficient in a mini-van that just about every other family owns!!!

A diesel van would be nice. it needs all the torque it can get to haul around a family. But I dont think the mass consumer is educated enough to know the benefits of a diesel engine. Most would reek when they see it requires diesel fuel, instead of the cheaper regular-grade gasoline.
Old 06-07-07 | 05:24 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg

A diesel van would be nice. it needs all the torque it can get to haul around a family. But I dont think the mass consumer is educated enough to know the benefits of a diesel engine. Most would reek when they see it requires diesel fuel, instead of the cheaper regular-grade gasoline.
I'd have to check again, but isn't diesel cheaper than regular gas now?
Old 06-07-07 | 05:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I'd have to check again, but isn't diesel cheaper than regular gas now?
It is here - cheaper than regular by about 5%.
Old 06-07-07 | 09:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

In socal, diesel is about the same as premium fuel
Old 06-07-07 | 11:27 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree.....if the only matter involved was easy, moderate-speed cruising on level roads, unloaded. But an EMPTY Suburban, even with a little mouse-motor instead of a big heavy V8 up front, is around two and a half tons. Then.......combine that with passengers, cargo, accessories, hilly terrrain, and the need to stop and start in traffic, and I think you see what I mean.
Exactly. That's what makes it more special. If I just told you about a Prius with a 500cc engine, you wouldn't say much. But a Suburban with a 1.0 litre engine, now that's something .

Remember, when cruising, you only need a small amout of hp to keep you going (I know since I've seen my cruise control shut off the engine and power via battery power on my Prius. That battery only puts out 28hp).

The idea of the Suburban project is to show that we can make the engine small enough for highway driving and let the battery do the rest in city mode. Oh, and of course it's pluggable to recharge at night.
Old 06-07-07 | 11:29 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Think what you will ... my original point still stands, and all this talk in the media about "60 mpg" is sensationalized.

We don't know what answer (if any) Toyota has to Honda's diesel Accord. It's too early (and ultimately futile) to speculate so far into the future.
I don't think you got his joke (hence the afterwards). You keep saying 60mph instead of 60mpg haha.