Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Cadillac CTS-V will/not have 600HP Blue Devil engine (Update: 505HP Z06 engine)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 08:42 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM needs to figure out how to make the rearend hold up, they had trouble with CTS Vs' with the LS2 and they actually had some trouble with the LS1. Pinion bearings' and shims getting wear by 15000 miles, add another 200hp and you've got real trouble! But it's still gonna be a cool ****!!! As far as hp goes there's an old adage for some people,some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 06-04-07 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 09:36 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is that really necessary?
I am with you. When your company are healthy like Toyota then you can play around with these low sale volume model. Watch Toyota and learn.......make money first then play. Too much egos in Detroit. I don't like any of Toyota cars/trucks line-up for the last 10 yrs, but i do have to respect their business decision on making boring/bland cars/trucks to get where they are today.

Last edited by Nick2JZ; 06-05-07 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-04-07, 10:58 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

but does it turn?.
Old 06-04-07, 11:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Highly doubt it will have 600hp. If thats the case, this will be one expensive car (definitely over 80K). It could price itself right out of the market.

But then again, GM does want the CTS to move up to the 5/E/GS class.
Old 06-05-07, 03:54 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600hp is insane, I love it
Old 06-05-07, 07:05 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Highly doubt it will have 600hp. If thats the case, this will be one expensive car (definitely over 80K). It could price itself right out of the market.

if it has 600hp no doubt it's going to cost more than the current Z06.

GM never can grasp market trends, and there is little market for a rwd vehicle w/the levels of torque that the CTS-V will offer. It will end up doing little more than spinning it's tires all day.
Old 06-05-07, 07:44 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that really necessary?
That's an odd question... Are you kidding? To compete with BMW, Audi and Mercedes - absolutely..
Old 06-05-07, 07:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
That's an odd question... Are you kidding? To compete with BMW, Audi and Mercedes - absolutely..
But 600 hp?

M3 is expected to be at around 415 hp.
IS-F will be about 400.
RS4 is 420.
And the rumored C55AMG may have 408.

600 is overkill (for now ) ...
Old 06-05-07, 07:53 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The CTS-V won't top out, fully-loaded, at more than $65k. It'll be in the $60-$65k range.
Old 06-05-07, 07:55 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

The CTS-V won't top out, fully-loaded, at more than $65k. It'll be in the $60-$65k range.
keep dreaming, this car isn't aimed at the M3 or IS-f, its obviously targeted at the M5 and E63.

you're not getting that all that engine hardware for under $80k, the supercharged STS-V already starts at $80k
Old 06-05-07, 07:56 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think GM's cost on the LS9 is actually too high.

They could price it competitively if they WANT to, and I think they WANT to make this kind of impact. I say if they can keep it to 60k nicely equipped, they'd have a real hit on their hands.

Good old pushrod motors - much more fuel efficient, reliable, and power-capable than people ever imagined they could ever be 20 years ago when OHC was 'the future'.
Old 06-05-07, 07:56 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
if it has 600hp no doubt it's going to cost more than the current Z06.

GM never can grasp market trends, and there is little market for a rwd vehicle w/the levels of torque that the CTS-V will offer. It will end up doing little more than spinning it's tires all day.
I'm sure GM realized they're going to sell more regular CTSs than CTS-Vs. Just like BMW sells more regular 5-Series than M5s... And so on...

The fact is - people in America would LOVE to buy an American car with the capabilities - or more so - than cars made in Germany. Before the Cadillac V-Series - there was little choice. You bought German - or you bought nothing. Now, there's a choice. And with this new 600hp (easily upgradable to 700hp as it IS a downgraded engine) - the Better choice.. Is American...

How can anyone complain?
Old 06-05-07, 07:58 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Call it competitive planning.. BMW and Mercedes will have some 500+ horsepower offerings to compete with the CTS-V. Instead of "meeting" the horsepower of the "current" M5 (which last time backfired on Cadillac as the "new" M5 had much more power), Cadillac is thinking ahead...

But 600 hp?

M3 is expected to be at around 415 hp.
IS-F will be about 400.
RS4 is 420.
And the rumored C55AMG may have 408.

600 is overkill (for now ) ...
Old 06-05-07, 08:02 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The current STS-V starts at around $25k more than the current CTS-V. That's just the way it is. Why? Nobody knows. I've never even SEEN an STS-V. I see CTS-Vs all the time. The STS-V is way over-priced - like the XLR-V. There's no reason to over-price the CTS-V now...

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
keep dreaming, this car isn't aimed at the M3 or IS-f, its obviously targeted at the M5 and E63.

you're not getting that all that engine hardware for under $80k, the supercharged STS-V already starts at $80k
Old 06-05-07, 08:27 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

The current STS-V starts at around $25k more than the current CTS-V. That's just the way it is. Why? Nobody knows. I've never even SEEN an STS-V. I see CTS-Vs all the time. The STS-V is way over-priced - like the XLR-V. There's no reason to over-price the CTS-V now...
well then there will be two performance CTS's one w/the 430hp LS3 and the other w/the supercharged LS3 or LS7.

GM will lose big $$ if they try to sell a supercharged LS7 for $65k.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V will/not have 600HP Blue Devil engine (Update: 505HP Z06 engine)