Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Cadillac CTS-V will/not have 600HP Blue Devil engine (Update: 505HP Z06 engine)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 12:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 2009 Cadillac CTS-V will/not have 600HP Blue Devil engine (Update: 505HP Z06 engine)

2009 Cadillac CTS-V will have 600HP Corvette Blue Devil engine !!

Posted Jun 4th 2007 2:45PM by John Neff

The new issue of Motor Trend arrived in the mail and our eyes were instantly attracted to this story that just went live on motortrend.com. The MT crew has learned that the supercharged V8 slated for use in the next-gen Cadillac CTS-V will be none other than a "detuned" version of the 7.0L LS7 powerplant debuting in the Corvette Blue Devil, or rather, Corvette Z07. The MT editors expect the version used in the CTS-V to produce about 600 horsepower, or around 100 horses short of what the Z07 will produce.

Pick any possible competitor for the next CTS-V and it's obvious that all will come up short to Caddy's new mega muscle sedan. The BMW M3 and Audi RS4 both produce only 420 horsepower, while the horsepower happy AMG team stuffed only 503 in the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Even the BMW M5, which is larger than the CTS, will come up short with an upcoming horsepower bump into the low-500 horsepower range. In short, the CTS-V will offer the same amount of horsepower as the 2008 Dodge Viper, which is pure insanity. GM's got stones, folks, and Cadillac is clearly the prime beneficiary of its newfound fortitude.
MORE : CLICK HERE
Old 06-04-07, 12:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

All the more insane is that those 100 detuned hps could be gotten back I imagine with just a little effort.
Old 06-04-07, 01:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

price???? Crazy
Old 06-04-07, 01:04 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lutz is a madman I love it!! 600hp is madness.
Old 06-04-07, 01:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that really necessary?
Old 06-04-07, 02:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it has been said for at least a year now, in the rumor mill, that the CTS-V would have an absolute minimum of 500hp, which would seem to suggest the LS7 found in the current Z06. If this is true about the LS9, then all the better.

Let's not forget it appears that the new '08 CTS has a truly killer interior layout as well! I think the CTS-V with all of that combined will be really amazing all around.

The best thing about GM's LSX V8s is that they tend to get really impressive mileage considering their power output. That and they're generally SUPER cheap/easy to work on.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Will you be saying that if and and when Lexus releases a car with similar power?
Old 06-04-07, 04:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Will you be saying that if and and when Lexus releases a car with similar power?
Yes.

I find absolutely no reason to drive a 600 hp vehicle for everyday use.

Ferraris, Lambos, Aston, and the such are not everyday driving vehicles. Hell, even Corvettes shouldn't be. They're for either track use or prestige.

Cadillac, especially the CTS, is not for track use nor prestige...
Old 06-04-07, 04:12 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably not ... but how many things do you do in every day life that are unnecessary?

is it necessary to buy/drive a lexus when some form of toyota would be just as practical?

i say ... who cares if its necessary, if you think its fun or it provides you with some form of personal benefit without large financial damage, do it
Old 06-04-07, 04:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'll believe it when I see it. Motortrend has been wrong in these instances plenty of times.
Old 06-04-07, 05:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn 600hp?! That's just crazy. Mercedes with their supercharged AMG's, BMW using twin turbo's on their new 3series, now Cadillac with this? Sigh when's it going to end? Looks like Toyota/Lexus is going to have to go FI in order to keep up with everyone else. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen though with toyota trying to be the leader in hybrid and pushing green power. To hell with green power! Revive the twin turbo supra and bring back the glory i say! grrrr
Old 06-04-07, 05:54 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Yes.

Ferraris, Lambos, Aston, and the such are not everyday driving vehicles. Hell, even Corvettes shouldn't be. They're for either track use or prestige.

I drive a Vette every day (it's my only car) and it's a great car to use as a daily driver. I'm assuming a Z06 wouldn't be as good on a daily basis though

But I agree, 600hp is too much to use on the road, especially in a sedan. The hp wars are getting ridiculous
Old 06-04-07, 06:13 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'll believe it when I see it. Motortrend has been wrong in these instances plenty of times.
Exactly!...
Plus, I am having trouble believing that CTS-V chassis can even handle that amount of horsepower.
Even E55 AMG has way too much for rear tires. Turning off traction control is a risky proposition.
May be with some major electronic assistance. But then, what's the point?
Old 06-04-07, 06:30 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow.....if you build it they will come.......
Old 06-04-07, 06:39 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes.

Yes, 380hp is overkill for the Lexus conservative crowd. Anything more could be dangerous..
Old 06-04-07, 07:54 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

sweetness!
I hope this prods the fires that be at Lexus to come with a GS-F variant, that would be a trick q-ship for more refined tastes.

However, there's no such thing as too much horsepower, that's a silly notion.
If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

As long as the caddy folks go with the supercharged blocks in any shape or form... it's gonna be a mad power making machine.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V will/not have 600HP Blue Devil engine (Update: 505HP Z06 engine)