Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help! can't fit in car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 06:44 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! can't fit in car

Well the M5 is out. Too many problems and I don't feel like dumping thousands into an M5 if something breaks even with warrenty. You should read some of those horror stories on the m5 board even with a CPO. Anyway I test drove an s2000 the other day and it was a really quick test drive. I couldn't get in the thing ! I'm 6'3 230. Please give me a list of coupes I can fit in. I don't want to embarrass myself again.
Old 06-05-07, 06:48 AM
LexFather

Funny a close but of mine just got a S2000 and I LOVE the car but I also can't fit in the drivers seat, no way I could drive it.
What are you looking for in a coupe? I can't recommend without you telling me what you are looking for.
RX-8
Mustang
G35 coupe
SC 300/400

Old 06-05-07, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What are you looking for in a coupe? I can't recommend without you telling me what you are looking for.
RX-8
Mustang
G35 coupe
SC 300/400
I'll go along with all of these except the Mustang. Yes, it has dynamite looks, but, except for the fairly durable engine and live rear axle, is built with some of the cheapest materials imaginable on a modern car. The sheet metal and trim are a joke. Of course, if that doesn't matter to you, go for it.

The RX-8 overall is well-built, handles like it's on rails, but the Rotary engine uses more than its share of both gas and oil, the roofline is a little low for tall drivers (I've driven it), and its "coupe" status is somewhat questionable with the 2 small rear doors. In spite of the car's good overall quality, those two small rear doors are potential rattle, squeak, and leak areas as well due to the absense of B-Pillars on both sides.

Check out the new Hyundai Tiburon. It is well-made, available for a good low price even brand-new, has a very long warranty, and drives pretty well, although even with the V6, it may not have the power you are looking for. I myself would buy one before a whole lot of other coupes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-07 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-05-07, 07:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any Porsche.

Well, not the Cayenne...
Old 06-05-07, 07:50 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Looking to spend no more than 24k for a used sports coupe.
Old 06-05-07, 08:26 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Just came from g35 forum. In love with g35 coupe! Wow had no idea they were that nice!
Old 06-05-07, 09:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

I feel your pain! Most imported coupes do not take the typical large American frame into consideration. Try a C5 'Vette on for size - you should be able to fine a nice one in your price range. Otherwise, you might consider an older classic - from the era when they built cars for most of the rest of us. With better nutrition producing larger people with every passing year - not to mention what steroids and growth hormones are capable of doing, it's a wonder that members of the NFL, NBA, and MLB aren't all on foot.

I recall almost striking a Faustian deal with a local Triumph dealer to re-engineer the tub of a TR-6 so that I could get under the wheel and still have clearance to put the top up. I once crawled into an Eclipse - and considered calling the rescue squad with the "jaws of life" to extricate me. It's not all related to the overall size of the car - I fit my '95 Civc EX commuter car very well. It actually had more room for me than the Accord because the console didn't interfere with my right knee.

Funny that my ultimate dream car, the Jaguar XK-150S fits my 6' 4", 300 lb frame well, but its successor, the XK-E would require me to lose about 200 pounds and a foot of height. The weight might be a stretch, but removing my head is not an option. With the top down, I can eventually get in the E-type, depress the clutch, start the engine, but that's it. I can't release the clutch because my left foot is pinned down by the dashboard. Of course that old-school driving position with the wheel in my chest doesn't help much, but on the older vehicle at least I had the requisite elbow room to twist the tiller.

Why is it that sporty cars are built for jockeys? Nobody out there makes a sports car in a 54-long? As I age, I find it more difficult to perform the personal origami required to get in and out of a sports car with any semblance of grace. Of course this happens just at the point in life where I have the disposable income to realistically consider purchasing an "entertaining" car. . . .
Old 06-05-07, 09:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I'm 6'3 230. Please give me a list of coupes I can fit in. I don't want to embarrass myself again.
I'm 6'3" 205 and I fit in my MX-5 fine. It's the most fun car I've ever owned by MILES, but also not impractical with a usable trunk, a roof that can be put up down one handed from within the car in 5 seconds, and many creature comforts. It's a bargain too.

You mentioned the G35 coupe (and upcoming G37 coupe I guess, but maybe a new one's out of your budget). Nice car, but HEAVY.
Old 06-05-07, 09:27 AM
calichris
Lead Lap

why not a 350z? or a srt6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-05-07, 09:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BMW 330I sport pack or ZHP. I am 6'4 225 and fit in it with room to spare.. A blast to drive
Old 06-05-07, 10:30 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just came from g35 forum. In love with g35 coupe! Wow had no idea they were that nice!
My aunt owns this, '04 G35C with Aero package. Gorgeous car inside and out, real head turner. Exhaust note is to die for in my opinion. I also think it fits into both luxury and sport categories better than a lot of cars out there, it may be a little heavier than a true "sports car" heavy but the 6MT feels so good and the engine has plenty of torque. Interior build-quality is very good, leather seats are soft and supportive and just overall beautiful.
Old 06-05-07, 10:51 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not many cars compare to the S2000. I wouldn't consider the G35, BMW 3 series, etc. in the same class.

If you are looking for a sportscar/roadster that you can fit in I'd think about a Boxster S/Cayman S. Although in your price range, a used G35 coupe/3 series would probably be your best bet.

Last edited by OC 335d; 06-05-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
BMW 330I sport pack or ZHP. I am 6'4 225 and fit in it with room to spare.. A blast to drive
Good suggestion as well and the overall best buy b/c its interior trumps the G35c.

ZHP pack is rarer and is a hit with the BMW crowd.

Old 06-05-07, 11:15 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by calichris
Chrysler-Crossfire-SRT-6 noooooooooooo way
Old 06-05-07, 11:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Chrysler-Crossfire-SRT-6 noooooooooooo way