Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ebay?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 09:06 AM
Red@8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay?!?!

Anyone ever bought a car on ebay before? I am thinking about it, but i have never done it before and as usual the car is too far for me to go look at. I have a had a few friends by cars in the states while they were at home (canada) and they all had good experiences. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions.

Experiences!?!?!

Comments!?!?!
Old 06-06-07, 09:13 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha I was wondering the same thing, Iv seen some pretty good deals on ebay
Old 06-06-07, 09:18 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I would never buy a car without test driving it first. So no I would never purchase a car through ebay. To many scammers on there.
Old 06-06-07, 09:24 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have sold several cars, as a seller the sale is rather cumbersome. It really depends on how reputable the seller is.
my suggestion is have them take it to a third party for an inspection, i had a buyer do that and i worked out fine.
Just be carefull, i would recomend it for older cars like muscle cars and such but more hesitant for a newer car out of state etc. if its in state its worth going to look at it.

I sold my denali, a 79 bronco and tahoe all on ebay. The tahoe was a ***** because thier bank wanted all sorts of paper work done by the seller to prove to them what it was...i charged him extra for the leg work.

If its from a dealer they are real slick about how they list cars, be real carefull and read the listing very closely. Avoid cars that say "no damage visable" or any type of vague language. same for private party. people can be really slick and if you have learned anything from buying cars in person dealers should not be trusted, so dont trust the dealer any more then you would in person. In this case i would be extra cautious, maybe do a BBB inquiry, or even call lexus corporate and see if they have any complaints..... do your research, what may seem like a smoking deal could cost you thousands in the end.

buy local
Old 06-06-07, 09:29 AM
Red@8
Rookie

It is a private seller. So far he has seemed descent but that is over the internet and contact has been very minimal.

I have posted asking anyone on the forum if they live close by to go check it out for me. I think that is the only way i will end up buying it.

As for buying local - that is my number one option. With that said the selection of vehicles so far has been VERY minimal and ZERO spec'd the way i want. Add to that dismal service and buying local is looking like less of a reality every day.
Old 06-06-07, 09:31 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am worried about buying used cars in person as it is, ebay really isn't something I'd consider. If it's a rare car that's hard to find, I can possibly understand it. But for a mass production car that is readily available, why ebay when you can inspect and find cars in your area.
Old 06-06-07, 09:36 AM
Red@8
Rookie

Originally Posted by OC 335i
If it's a rare car that's hard to find, I can possibly understand it. But for a mass production car that is readily available, why ebay when you can inspect and find cars in your area.
Not to be rude but the post i made right above yours states that it is NOT readily available in my area and therefore I CANT inspect and find cars in my area.

Not trying to be a jackass or anything but if i could find the car local i would buy it in a second. Buying out of state, appears to be the only option i have at this point in time.
Old 06-06-07, 09:38 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

what vehicle are you looking for?
Old 06-06-07, 09:40 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red@8
Not to be rude but the post i made right above yours states that it is NOT readily available in my area and therefore I CANT inspect and find cars in my area.

Not trying to be a jackass or anything but if i could find the car local i would buy it in a second. Buying out of state, appears to be the only option i have at this point in time.
Red, no problem. Please be aware that my post was only 2 minutes after yours and ponder the possible notion that I had not refreshed the page when I first started typing. Opinions always differ and they are subjective to ones experiences and environment (location in this case). It is a bit difficult to guess what you are trying to buy with such vague details.
Old 06-06-07, 09:42 AM
Red@8
Rookie

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Red, no problem. Please be aware that my post was only 2 minutes after yours and ponder the possible notion that I had not refreshed the page when I first started typing. Opinions always differ and they are subjective to ones experiences and environment (location in this case). It is a bit difficult to guess what you are trying to buy with such vague details.
Sorry I didnt notice the time on the previous post. My fault.
Old 06-06-07, 09:45 AM
Red@8
Rookie

Originally Posted by iasc300
what vehicle are you looking for?
It is an 06 IS350. I want one with either the lux pack or the sport pack and the levinson with the nav. It also has to have the black interior. Those are the things i am not willing to flex on.

Exterior color i can be flexible on. I would really like a white on black car.

The car I am thinking about on ebay is a white on black car, spec'd exactly the way i want it with not bad miles. The price is undetermined right now.

Edit: The car is in Agoura Hills as I posted in the IS forum. If anyone lives close to there and wouldnt mind taking a look at the car for me that would be great.
Old 06-06-07, 09:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I just found out the other day that my neighbor bought his mercury sable off of ebay.. He bought it with 20-30k miles and now it has 130k.. He says it was a good buy and would do it again.. I would to but would have to visually look at the car and drive it and do the necesary background checks.. GL..
Old 06-06-07, 10:50 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

I've bought 3 cars off of eBay, & all with good results, first 1 from CT Mecury Mystique, very good condition, but ended up getting totalled, 2nd 96 Volvo 850R loved it, got a real good deal that I couldnt pass up & excellent condition & located here in Mass, 3rd my lil play toy a 98 Eclipse GST, was in good condition & only needed like $300 worth of work 2 get it the way I wanted it, & it was located in NJ but the guy met me in NY, & I sold that for my 00 Range Rover 4.6HSE that I bought off of Craigslist in Long Island NY!!! As far as the distance goes, make sure that they swear in writting that nothing is wrong with it, or what they say about it, is what it is, & if you feel comfortable go for it, its mostly all on how much u want the car & how u feel about the condition of the vehicle!!!! Good Luck Partner!!!