Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Europe considering ban of cars capable of more than 101 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 05:07 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems odd that they'd go after the top speed, as an indicator of how much a car would/could pollute. That makes little sense (you could always put a speed limiter on the Veyron or Enzo). Why not go after gas mileage or emissions?
Old 06-08-07, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
All they have to do is build them the same way they have been doing, throw a limiter on them, and let the customer illegally hack the software. "don't look at us... we put a limiter on it".
No, customer hacking will not be an option....that would defeat the purpose of the law in the first place. The intention of the law seems to be that it will be illegal for anyone to hack it, period. Like with our own emissions tests here in the U.S. in the places that have them, European cars will probably have to be inspected at periodic intervals to ensure that the software is NOT hacked.....but just HOW this will be done, I don't know. They obviously can't take every car and personally test its top speed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-07 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-09-07, 12:07 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm glad I don't live in Europe...
Old 06-09-07, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm glad I don't live in Europe...
Except for the outrageous price of fuel and the excessively high speeds on the German Autobahn (to the point where it is dangerous), driving in Europe in many ways is better than it is here. You have a greater choice of vehicles and vehicle brands than in the U.S., they keep the highways in MUCH better condition and don't let potholes and pavement deterioration set in, and, in the winter, they don't fool around with pavement and vehicle-damaging sand, salt, and abrasives. They generally plow the roads down to two inches of snow and let them go...the reasoning being that it is your responsibility as a driver to either be able to handle two inches of snow or have an AWD vehicle that can...otherwise you should not have a drivers's license.

I especially like the European policy in the winter of not using sand and salt. We have an OBSESSION in this country will clearing all the snow off the roads the moment it starts and not requring people to KNOW how to drive in it.
Old 06-09-07, 03:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except for the outrageous price of fuel and the excessively high speeds on the German Autobahn (to the point where it is dangerous), driving in Europe in many ways is better than it is here. You have a greater choice of vehicles and vehicle brands than in the U.S., they keep the highways in MUCH better condition and don't let potholes and pavement deterioration set in, and, in the winter, they don't fool around with pavement and vehicle-damaging sand, salt, and abrasives. They generally plow the roads down to two inches of snow and let them go...the reasoning being that it is your responsibility as a driver to either be able to handle two inches of snow or have an AWD vehicle that can...otherwise you should not have a drivers's license.

I especially like the European policy in the winter of not using sand and salt. We have an OBSESSION in this country will clearing all the snow off the roads the moment it starts and not requring people to KNOW how to drive in it.
Well, I don't know about the entire Europe, but I can tell you that back in mother Russia, they used just as much, if not more salt and sand as they use here, as well as continuously plowing the roads. They even have a special vehicle that grabs the snow from the road, and sents it throught a pipe that throws it onto the sidewalk. To make matters worse, they don't clean the sidewalks at all, so if you're walking, you really need to wear knee hight boots, with a couple pairs of socks.

And from what I hear from people, the salt that they use is a lot more abrasive, so a lot of people actually park their cars in garages, and don't drive them in the winter at all.

Of course, like I said, I don't know if the same is true in the rest of the Europe, but I strongly believe it might be in certain countries, like Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and republics of the former Yugoslavia and Chechoslovakia. As far as United States is concerned, with the current boom of sports sedans with low profile summer rated tires, a lot of people wouldn't be able to drive at all if the roads weren't salted. I now my GS with 45 series tires isn't going nowhere, even when the roads are salted, but my LS with 65 series tires doesn't have too much trouble.
Old 06-09-07, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I don't know about the entire Europe, but I can tell you that back in mother Russia, they used just as much, if not more salt and sand as they use here, as well as continuously plowing the roads.
Russia's Arctic winters, of course, are not comparable to those of most of Europe, except in Northern Scandanavia)

. As far as United States is concerned, with the current boom of sports sedans with low profile summer rated tires, a lot of people wouldn't be able to drive at all if the roads weren't salted. I now my GS with 45 series tires isn't going nowhere, even when the roads are salted, but my LS with 65 series tires doesn't have too much trouble.
One more reason why, IMO, people who NEED to drive in snow should have AWD vehicles...or at least FWD with winter rubber. That would save a lot of the need to dump sand and salt. I know there are those who disagree with me, but that is the way I see it. My philosophy is that if you want to own a Corvette and burn up the road on dry pavement. don't expect to do it during a blizzard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-07 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-09-07, 09:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One more reason why, IMO, people who NEED to drive in snow should have AWD vehicles...or at least FWD with winter rubber. That would save a lot of the need to dump sand and salt. I know there are those who disagree with me, but that is the way I see it. My philosophy is that if you want to own a Corvette and burn up the road on dry pavement. don't expect to do it during a blizzard.

Well, the problem is, not too many cars are available with AWD. Even these all so popular SUV's and cute utes, for the most part are either RWD or FWD, with AWD being an expensive option. Sure, I would love me an AWD vehicle, but it must be a sedan, V8, and it can't be German. So whats available out there in this combo? The only thing that comes to mind is the new Volvo S80.
Old 06-09-07, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Lets just ban Europe! lol

Old 06-09-07, 10:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lets just ban Europe! lol
Not a bad idea... and its spelled "Yurope"
Old 06-10-07, 02:33 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-10-07, 02:52 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where in Europe they plow the roads down to 2" and let people get on with it. First sign of snow or ice here and the gritting trucks are out spreading a mixture of sand and salt. If it snows they clear it and then grit. My experience of the rest of Europe is the same and AWD drive vehicles are the exception not the rule - snow tyres are used throughout most of Germany, areas of France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy - though not the UK.
Old 06-10-07, 03:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't know where in Europe they plow the roads down to 2" and let people get on with it.
I don't live in Europe, so, of course, I have only heard of the 2" practice in the past , by ear, word of mouth, and occasional references on web sites. If it is incorrect today, I'll stand corrected.

Yes, I know.....I also got us off topic. We were originally talking about 101 MPH limiters.
Old 06-10-07, 08:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, technically this 101 mph limiter is not a bad idea at all. It doesn't mean that the car should be slow, just the top speed to be electronically governed at 101 mph. Theres really no good reason, even for police and other emergency services, to drive over 90mph.
Old 06-10-07, 10:28 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

This makes Richie cry............
Old 06-10-07, 01:22 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Just cause he can't afford a car that goes faster than 101mph. Or he's too ***** to drive over that.

Quick Reply: Europe considering ban of cars capable of more than 101 mph