Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Europe considering ban of cars capable of more than 101 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Just cause he can't afford a car that goes faster than 101mph. Or he's too ***** to drive over that.

Maybe he's just "p***y" enough to keep his drivers' license, keep his car in ONE piece.....and save his OWN life and that of others.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-07 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, technically this 101 mph limiter is not a bad idea at all. It doesn't mean that the car should be slow, just the top speed to be electronically governed at 101 mph. Theres really no good reason, even for police and other emergency services, to drive over 90mph.
Correct. Even with a woman in labor that has to get to the hospital as quickly as possible, that is what mobile emergency ambulances with paramedics are for.

And with the need for police to drive that fast, having 101 MPH limiters would cut down on the number of high-speed chases they have to do so start with....you wouldn't have many people going over 100 MPH.
Old 06-10-07, 02:11 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't live in Europe, so, of course, I have only heard of the 2" practice in the past , by ear, word of mouth, and occasional references on web sites. If it is incorrect today, I'll stand corrected.

Quite possibly the Scandanavian countries - might explain why Finland produces some of the best rally drivers. Even their grandmothers can do handbrake turns on ice.

Of course there's no real reason for any of us who don't track our cars to go over 100mph and it's rare I get up there even on empty roads - however this just strikes me as the thin end of the wedge - how long before the limit is reduced to 90mph, 80mph and then remotely governed by the authorities? If that happens I'm buying the oldest, baddest car I can find that'll do 150mph+.

Last edited by Big Andy; 06-10-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 03:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct. Even with a woman in labor that has to get to the hospital as quickly as possible, that is what mobile emergency ambulances with paramedics are for.
Even the paramedics shouldn't drive more than 90mph, no matter what the situation is. Yes, it might be an emergency, but at those high speeds there's a high change of accident, which will cause a major delay at best.

And with the need for police to drive that fast, having 101 MPH limiters would cut down on the number of high-speed chases they have to do so start with....you wouldn't have many people going over 100 MPH.
Agreed.
Old 06-10-07, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Even the paramedics shouldn't drive more than 90mph, no matter what the situation is. Yes, it might be an emergency, but at those high speeds there's a high change of accident, which will cause a major delay at best.

I fully agree with you, Och.....you misunderstood my post. When I said that that's what ambulances and paramedics were for, I meant that much of what was formerly done in hospitals can now be done in the back of ambulances on the way, thereby negating the need for the ambulance driver to drive like a maniac to get to the hospital as fast as possible.
Old 06-10-07, 10:36 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats retarded. They might as well ban runing. lol
Old 06-11-07, 12:26 AM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fully agree with you, Och.....you misunderstood my post. When I said that that's what ambulances and paramedics were for, I meant that much of what was formerly done in hospitals can now be done in the back of ambulances on the way, thereby negating the need for the ambulance driver to drive like a maniac to get to the hospital as fast as possible.
Not true for severe trauma. I was in an accident and the ambulance driver hauled *** bc i was bleeding very badly internally... Ambulancess can do the prep work, but for ER room stuff, you need an ER (stocked with blood, surgeons, etc)
Old 06-11-07, 09:21 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Except for the outrageous price of fuel and the excessively high speeds on the German Autobahn (to the point where it is dangerous), driving in Europe in many ways is better than it is here.
I would say that the main reasons why it is better, is because the roads are built and maintained better (like you mentioned), and drivers there are much more courteous and >>attentive<<. From what I've always heard, left-lane-lolly-gagging is almost non-existent. If you're not passing anyone, you're over in the right lanes.