Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VIPER burned to the ground because plates read '666'

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 06:18 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Jesus Freakin Christ
Is that necessary?

That's worse than any possible swear you could think of and this is a PG site.
Old 06-09-07, 06:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
And yet you can say it as much as you want in a PG-rated movie or on TV, home of the "seven words you can't say".

I'm willing to bet very few people find what Vladi said to be more offensive than any of the "seven words".
Old 06-09-07, 07:00 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
And yet you can say it as much as you want in a PG-rated movie or on TV, home of the "seven words you can't say".
No you can't. You absolutely can not say the Lord's name in vain on TV. And only in PG-13/R movies.

Unless you mean the word "freakin" by itself. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm willing to bet very few people find what Vladi said to be more offensive than any of the "seven words".
Any believer in Jesus will tell you that His name in vain is more offensive than any swear.
Old 06-09-07, 08:01 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I once saw a '64 Impala lowrider with a glittery flame paint job and an artistic front plate that read"burn baby burn" burn to the ground.
Old 06-09-07, 09:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

No you can't. You absolutely can not say the Lord's name in vain on TV. And only in PG-13/R movies.
You most certainly can. And not only can you use his name AS a curse word, you can curse AT god as well:

You're a son of a *****, you know that?...What did I ever do to your [son] but praise his glory and praise his name?...Have I displeased you, you feckless thug?...To hell with your punishments and to hell with you!
This was on a TV-PG show, mind you. For movies, search www.kids-in-mind.com for PG movies with "profanity" ratings of 2 or above. You'll find dozens--if not hundreds--with "religious profanity".

Any believer in Jesus will tell you that His name in vain is more offensive than any swear.
Not ANY. My parents wouldn't, for example. They wouldn't say it themselves because it's a sin, but they don't berate others who do. And somehow I have a feeling that my uncle the preacher would be more offended if I dropped the c-bomb on him than if I used christ's name in vain.

But all that is beside the point. Vladi was poking fun at the overreaction of christians when seeing something (intentional or not) that they consider an affront to their god, as illustrated in the OP. You fell into the trap.
Old 06-09-07, 11:18 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that necessary?

Sorry, I didn't want to offend you or anyone else. It was just sarcastic remark on title of the thread, nothing to be taken seriously.
Old 06-09-07, 11:22 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

OK, topic is VIPER on fire.

Old 06-09-07, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What a hypocrite! Does the guy that destroyed the Viper thing he is the "good" guy for taking a stand against "666"? To bad he doesn't know yet that he is the one going to hell.
Let's let God decide that. Heaven and hell is SERIOUS buisness....let Him decide who ends up where. I do partly agree with you, though. 666 is in fact the Devil's number, but this Viper owner may not have had much choice in the matter if the European DMV assigned him that number.....and that, IMO, certainly is no excuse for torching an $80,000 car (in Amercian dollars....that is a European version and we don't know what it actually cost).

On the other hand, though, I would not have accepted that plate number. I would have torn up the application and re-submitted it for a whole new plate. If you display a Satanic number, in my book, that is just asking for trouble. If you play with fire, some of it is going to burn....in this case, literally.
Old 06-10-07, 04:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoGoGadget
That's bull ****, the car in the second pic isn't even in the same location as the first one.
Well, O.L.T. felt it was real enough to do a thread on it; and as a senior moderator, I don't think he would waste his time with bull-******.
Old 06-10-07, 05:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

This probably has nothing to do with religious fanatics but rather with mob. Driving a Viper in Russia most likely means that you got your money real "fast".
Of course there are people who made lots of money in every honest way but they are minority and among them there are very few that would go on and blow off money on a Viper.

Anyway I love the 666 spin of the situation.
Old 06-10-07, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
This probably has nothing to do with religious fanatics but rather with mob. Driving a Viper in Russia most likely means that you got your money real "fast".
Of course there are people who made lots of money in every honest way but they are minority and among them there are very few that would go on and blow off money on a Viper.

I agree. Russia, despite the benefits is having dumped Communism, still has one of the world's most corrupt economies. There are a lot of ways to make a dishonest dollar in Russia.....almost as many as honest ones.

(I see your screen name is Vladi. That suggests a Russian background yourself...maybe from Vladivostok? My response is not meant as an insult to you, but just, like yours, to show how easy it is to get corrupt dollars there)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 03:07 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. Russia, despite the benefits is having dumped Communism, still has one of the world's most corrupt economies. There are a lot of ways to make a dishonest dollar in Russia.....almost as many as honest ones.

(I see your screen name is Vladi. That suggests a Russian background yourself...maybe from Vladivostok? My response is not meant as an insult to you, but just, like yours, to show how easy it is to get corrupt dollars there)
I just have Russian name, Vladimir. But people call me either Vlad or Vladi, much shorter

Like you I don't want to insult our Russian friends on CL but Russia is in very bad shape when it comes to corruption and organized crime.
Old 06-10-07, 03:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, O.L.T. felt it was real enough to do a thread on it; and as a senior moderator, I don't think he would waste his time with bull-******.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=980#more-980

This was a Dodge Viper in Russian city Kostroma. And it carried plates with “666″ number. Some may not liked it too much considering it to be devil’s breed

Last edited by O. L. T.; 06-10-07 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 04:03 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We have an accountant that comes into our work occasionally and he has a registration number with his initials and "666" - as does my wife's dentist (I'd torch his car because of his bills not the numberplate). Maybe their professions have something to do with it! These are plates they have purchased so they obviously have no problems with it - neither do I actually - I certainly don't consider it "the devil's number"
Old 06-10-07, 11:08 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) used to have the vanity place "6SIX6" on his pink Bronco he dubbed "Pink Death."