Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford looking to sell Jaguar and Land Rover (Chrysler Owner now interested ? )

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 08:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Ford looking to sell Jaguar and Land Rover (Chrysler Owner now interested ? )

Ford looking to sell Jaguar and Land Rover

June 11th, 2007

After the sale of Aston Martin, many analysts have been wondering what company Ford will sell next in order to recover from its $12.5 billion loss in 2006 and continuous slow sales. Well, according to Automotive News, Ford is now actively seeking buyers for Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover.

Back in May, it was reported that Ford was talking to BMW for a potential sale of its Volvo group. The report was later denied by Ford itself.

Current reports say that Ford was in talks with Fiat over a possible sale of Jaguar and Land Rover. The talks which started in February, ended late last month due to Fiat’s concern over its credit rating.

Sources now say that Ford has officially hired Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley to take the three premium companies off of its hands for cash payment.

Merrill Lynch analysts have previously said that Ford could possibly raise over $9 billion by selling its remaining luxury car brands.

Source: Automotive News
via egmcartech
Old 06-11-07, 09:28 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder who would buy those two.
Old 06-11-07, 09:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I think that Hyundai should buy Jaguar.
Old 06-11-07, 10:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jaguar and Land Rover need to be kept by European hands, that know a thing about history and prestige (moreso than Americans).
Old 06-11-07, 12:30 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

how ironic is this that FIAT once a bad name in itself is concerned about it's own credit rating if it bought the hurting Jaguar brand.

The talks which started in February, ended late last month due to Fiat’s concern over its credit rating.
Old 06-11-07, 01:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Aston should buy Jag.
Old 06-11-07, 01:42 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they could merge. After all they're both English?
Old 06-11-07, 02:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I think it would be a perfect buyout. Especially since both have the same recent roots. Jag is not an unsalvageable brand. There is a lot of things about them I like and a very few I do not like. The price would likely go up if Aston bought them, but the quality would also.

I'd love to see the old school companies return to their glory. Mercedes has already made the step forward in quality control and parts sourcing as of the last 2 or so yrs and this would be another huge return if Jag did.
Old 06-11-07, 06:04 PM
xioix
Racer

This is a year of auto company sales, and we still only half way there
Old 06-11-07, 09:31 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Would be interesting to see a British auto consortium: Lotus, Aston, Jag, Land Rover. Wonder how Ferrari would be as a parent co. of Jag and LR...
Old 06-12-07, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can see Ford getting rid of Aston Martin, a company with extremely low production and sales. Though we sometimes talk about them here on CAR CHAT, I've never known anyone, personally, who has ever actually bought or leased one, nor have I ever gone to an Aston dealer with someone who is actually seriously looking at one. The company, from what I can tell, is an unnecessary drag on Ford.

Land Rover: OK, maybe....maybe not. Their vehicles are pricey, have a lot of reliability problems, and have little popularity outside of the Country-Club set, though occasionally you will see rich soccer-moms driving them. But they are awesome in true off-road conditions, with the sure-footedness of a mountain goat, and they combine good off-road manners with good ON-road manners.....something few SUV's can do outside of the Range Rover, VW Touraeg, and Lexus LX470. Still, ilike so many other things in buisness, it may come down to a question of money...Land Rover, as a company, is not very profitable due to its limited sales appeal and low sales.

Jag? I'd really be sorry to see Ford dump them. Though it has dropped recently, not only did Jag's overall quality level go up in the 1990's under Ford ownership, but, for the first time in decades, there were AFFORDABLE Jags. I was not a big fan of the X-Class despite its standard AWD, but the S-Class was a NICE car, and didn't cost $80,000 like its larger XJ brother did. (too bad a door handle fell right off the one I first test-drove ). Ford was also able to do a Lincoln version of it...the LS, a car I also liked, though the Jag, IMO, was noticeably superior in styling, class, and hardware.
Well, anyhow, this is not a car review, so back to topic...selling Jaguar. I personally would not like to see that happen. Jaguar is generally more profitable than Land Rover, has a larger potential customer base, has a better, though not much better, reliability record overall, and from what I can see, has not as much of a drain on Ford that Land Rover and Aston-Martin have been.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-07 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 06:49 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can see Ford getting rid of Aston Martin, a company with extremely low production and sales. Though we sometimes talk about them here on CAR CHAT, I've never known anyone, personally, who has ever actually bought or leased one, nor have I ever gone to an Aston dealer with someone who is actually seriously looking at one. The company, from what I can tell, is an unnecessary drag on Ford.
Errr... Ford ALREADY sold Aston Martin for $925 million... Did you not
read the first line in the article?

As for Jaguar and Rover they need a miracle to survive.
Old 06-12-07, 07:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default UK Govt. contacts Ford about possible sale of Jaguar and Land Rover

Posted on Tuesday 12 June 2007

The UK government has contacted Ford because of concerns over the possible sale of the Jaguar and Land Rover brands. “We are in touch with the company. We still believe both Land Rover and Jaguar are highly successful companies and will have a highly successful future,” a spokesman for Tony Blair told reporters from Reuters.

It was revealed yesterday that Ford has hired investment banks Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley to oversee the sale of the Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo and had even conducted with talks with Fiat Group.

A union official has also expressed concerns about the sale that could potentially affect up to 10,000 employees at Jaguar and 9,000 staff at Land Rover. According to reports from the BBC, Ford is hoping to sell some assets in order to offset lagging sales and financial losses, and could even make an announcement within the next couple of days.

Business editor at the BBC Robert Peston has also mentioned that Ford is looking at all options, which may or may not include a sale, and has received strong interest from several equity groups.
via motorauthority
Old 06-12-07, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Errr... Ford ALREADY sold Aston Martin for $925 million... Did you not
read the first line in the article?

Yes, I was addessing what was, IMO, the rationale for it. It clearly was too much of a financial burden, and did not justify Aston's low sales.
Old 06-14-07, 02:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Chrysler owner shows interest in Jaguar and Land Rover bid

June 14th, 2007

As reported earlier this week, and confirmed by Ford, Ford has officially hired Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley to sell its Jaguar and Land Rover brand. Now, according to German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Cerberus, who recently bought Chrysler, is showing interest in Jaguar and Ford.

Citing London bank sources, the newspaper said that Cerberus, Blackstone and Cinven have shown interest in joining the auction for Ford’s luxury car brands.

It is not clear yet whether both brands will be sold as a package deal but an industry source has told Automotive News that Ford is favoring a package solution though it won’t mind selling the two brands separately.

Merrill Lynch analysts have previously said that Ford could possibly raise over $9 billion by selling its remaining luxury car brands.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
via egmcartech