Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoPacific 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 02:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If it is BMW-type driving dynamics you want, then my advice is to forget the ES and first go check out the new IS......it is a purpose-designed sports sedan to start with. The ES350, though distinctly more sports-sedan-like than the ES330, is still not a true BMW-fighter....but is just stiff enough to be annoying to those who liked the superb ES330.

However, of course, at the Lexus dealer, you can test-drive both the ES and the various IS250/350 models and decide which one fits your needs best......only you can determine that. I have posted, on CL, formal reviews of both the ES350 and the IS250AWD, if it will help any.

If traction is an issue, the IS comes in an AWD 250 form, though its power level, with the smaller engine and weight/drag of AWD will be MUCH lower than the RWD IS350. The AWD IS250 (and all second-generation IS models) has 45-series rubber, though, which will give you the handling you want, but will also compromise the AWD traction on slippery surfaces...in general, the lower the profile and the wider the tires, all other things equal, the poorer the traction on slippery surfaces. That's why the Subaru WRX/STi and Mitsubishi Evo, with their stock dry-pavement high-performance tires, are not as good in snow as other AWD Subaru and Mitsubishi products unless you put all-season or winter rubber on them.

I agree and great reviews those were

Old 06-12-07, 06:41 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
ff, if you do take a test drive, let us know your thoughts afterwards. I'd be interested in hearing what you think.
(will do )