Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

mark levinson v. buying aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 12:18 PM
freddymoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mark levinson v. buying aftermarket

what's the diff between buying a lexus with the ML package v. buying without and then go to circuit city or best buy and installing system like alpine head unit, amps, and speakers for $1k?

which has better sound quality?
Old 06-11-07, 12:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ML will be warrantied by the dealer is a big thing. Depending on the lexus model can you even get a 14 comparable quality speakers, head unit, amp, all installed for $1k?

14 speaker for the IS ML
19 speaker for an LS ML
Old 06-11-07, 12:45 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theoretically you can always do better with an aftermarket setup, but you will most certainly pay much more than $1k for it.
Old 06-11-07, 12:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ML system: made specifically for the car's interior, looks "invisible" and clean, and will have other bells and whistles integrated such as DVD capability with Nav, Auto-Leveling Sound when windows are down, and you'll get some $$ back with resale value.

Old 06-12-07, 04:25 PM
flblue
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at late model LS400's and 01 430's. I'm amazed at how many do NOT have the upgraded stereo. I don't like the idea of butchering the centre console up either. The ML must have been a big $ upgrade I'm guessing.
Old 06-12-07, 04:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man - there's just no way you can touch the sound quality of the ML system with a 1k dollar aftermarket system NO way.

Granted if you left the non-ML speakers in and just added a sub with a 1k budget, you could get much louder and probably cleaner sub bass... but a lot of people don't realize that most subs aren't meant to go much if any above the 80Hz mark or so without sounding unnatural... and there's a LOT more to bass in music than just the 15-80Hz range.

I'd without a doubt go with the ML system unless you otherwise intend to spend at least 4k+ on an aftermarket system.
Old 06-12-07, 04:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flblue
I'm looking at late model LS400's and 01 430's. I'm amazed at how many do NOT have the upgraded stereo. I don't like the idea of butchering the centre console up either. The ML must have been a big $ upgrade I'm guessing.

I thought older Lexus models had Nakamichi systems?
Old 06-12-07, 05:09 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

You CAN beat the sound of a ML system with a 1k budget... you dont need a new HU, but 15+ speakers is overkill.

Components up front, quality coaxial in the rear. High end amp to push them. CD audio is recorded in 2 channels, so i'm not sure the benefit of dozens of speakers outside of movies in a car. You can do tis especially easily if you shop around online... something like Focal speakers, MMats/used Zapco amps, etc.

I've got a $4k system, but I could make a stock lexus system sound better than a ML system with $1k.
Old 06-12-07, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys.....after my reviewing and driving the new 2007 Lexus LS460 and its Mark Levinson unit, I've got one thing to say:

If you don't remember ANY other thing I have ever said about a car in 17,000 posts and all the time I've been with CL, remember this:

Though, admittedly, I have not heard the stereo in the new Rolls or Maybach and cannot comment on them, there is nothing.....repeat, NOTHING I myself have ever heard in an automobile that can compare to the LS460's Mark Levinson. That unit is beyond superb...it is INSANE.

( I had only one disappointment with the ML unit in the LS460.....I forgot to bring my Judas Priest, AC/DC, and Motley Crue CD's with me)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-07 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 05:15 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

If you like it, thats all that matters, isn't it?

NOTHING beats first hand experience for subjective things like this
Old 06-12-07, 10:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, it's not even about beating the ML system, its certainly possible to get better speakers, amps, and HU, but there's no way to beat ML quality with 1K budget. Maybe with 5-6K, and even then it's unlikely. It's just the whole setup, the way its integrated with the car, the way the sound is staged, etc. Plus, you start taking apart the panel to replaced stock components, and you will have a bunch of rattles, etc. In any case, if you wanna match ML quality with the generic crap found in Best Buy and Circuit City.. don't even bother, just get yourself an i-Pod and decent headphones.
Old 06-12-07, 11:41 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well, it's not even about beating the ML system, its certainly possible to get better speakers, amps, and HU, but there's no way to beat ML quality with 1K budget. Maybe with 5-6K, and even then it's unlikely. It's just the whole setup, the way its integrated with the car, the way the sound is staged, etc. Plus, you start taking apart the panel to replaced stock components, and you will have a bunch of rattles, etc. In any case, if you wanna match ML quality with the generic crap found in Best Buy and Circuit City.. don't even bother, just get yourself an i-Pod and decent headphones.

I could build you a competition level system for that much that would destroy a ML system, are you sure you're not thinking of BB/CC over priced crap?

Eclipse/Alpine/Nak head unit $1000
2x Zapco 2ch amp $1k
2 sets Focal 3way components $1k (OR 1set ID horn components + focal 3ways)
Wires, sound deadening, harnesses, misc. etc $500 (generous)
zapco 1100 watt mono amp $800
IDMAX sub + custom sealed enclosure $500
Audio control EQ (for the heck of it) $500

~$5500 And you have a system worthy of SQ competition.

Once again, i'm not arguing you that ML doesn't sound far and away better than any other dealer installed stereo... but it really depends on the person listening. The only limiting factor is the level of integration of the stock stereo with the cars computer systems.

$1k could get you 2 sets of mid level focal speakers, and an amp with the juice to drive them. But i'm used to a system with 1500 watts going to my subs, and 125watts going to each of my speakers... i like high quality music played LOUD.

Last edited by jdoggg1; 06-12-07 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 12:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about multi channel playback, then I would say you'd have a hard time matching the ML with after market units for $1000. However, if we are talking about simple stereo playback, by far after market can yield much better results even with $1000. It may be hard to do, but it can be done. The only time I'm in favor of a lot of speakers to reproduce sound is for multi channel playback. Even at that, my ultimate would be 6 speakers. Front left, center, right, rear left and right, and sub. Since most car audio spealers can't reproduce full range, I'd settle for 8 speakers with the front and left being a 2 way component.
Old 06-13-07, 05:57 AM
flblue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I thought older Lexus models had Nakamichi systems?

Either way, I'm looking at GS models also. If its a Nak or ML system it should be printed on the unit, I'm just surprised at the amount that "just" have the Premium Sound System and not the upgraded units whether its Nak or ML.
Old 06-13-07, 06:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

most people dont know how to appreciate good sound systems and therefore dont wwant to get the ML system over stock when deciding to buy a car. Lot of people think the stock is "good enough" Plus maybe it was a rarely allocated option like ML is on many current lexus vehicles.

Quick Reply: mark levinson v. buying aftermarket