Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should I ride?
Ride the Duc and stand out.
83.93%
Rent a Harley and blend in.
16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Harley or Ducati?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07 | 01:17 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think Harleys are overpriced, under-powered, obnoxiously loud, and for the most part ugly. That and the jackasses who ride most of them and I think I would rather have my ********* severed with a fork than go anywhere near a Harley rally

In short - Ride the Duc somewhere with your boys and forget the rally,

Jonny
Old 06-12-07 | 01:51 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Get a Duc 1098
Old 06-12-07 | 03:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mavericck
Get a Duc 1098
My cousin and my neighbor have it.

And I hate it...

It's just not comfortable, not practical, and definately not my cup of tea.
Old 06-12-07 | 03:47 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
I personally think Harleys are overpriced, under-powered, obnoxiously loud, and for the most part ugly. That and the jackasses who ride most of them and I think I would rather have my ********* severed with a fork than go anywhere near a Harley rally

In short - Ride the Duc somewhere with your boys and forget the rally,

Jonny
What's a Harley? The most efficient way to turn gasonline into noise without all the horsepower byproduct

Old 06-12-07 | 06:15 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

As much as I dislike Harleys, I say rent the Harley and get see what it's like to be like "one of them".

You can secretly know that you have a superior bike once you get home and have better appreciation for your Italian bike.

Harley guys are very snobbish about their bikes and if you are there to go and have a good time, better just go and have a good time rather than try to "defend" your choice for taking a better bike.
Old 06-13-07 | 07:53 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bruce van
As much as I dislike Harleys, I say rent the Harley and get see what it's like to be like "one of them".

You can secretly know that you have a superior bike once you get home and have better appreciation for your Italian bike.

Harley guys are very snobbish about their bikes and if you are there to go and have a good time, better just go and have a good time rather than try to "defend" your choice for taking a better bike.
Exactly! Well said! This is not the same as a Lexus vs. BMW car meet.
Old 06-13-07 | 02:12 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Phillip,

I know several folks here in Norcal who have "hogs" and a few H.A. members. I'm very familiar w/ the Hollister/Salinas area and have seen this type of annual event that's been going on for years.

It will be mainly "hogs" and choppers but there'll be a small percentage of mixed bikes also. Law enforcement will be on the up and up there during the rally. But LE will usually keep the peace and avoid rival "gangs" to clash.

I would take what you have and enjoy the experience of this event.
Not all "hog" owners are loud, obnoxious and player haters.
They're there for the experience and just like my "hog" friend was telling me when I mentioned this to him, "you will be welcomed to the event" regardless of what type of bike you ride on.

If fact, you may be the envy of most "hog" riders there since your bike is unique and a totally different category compared to theirs.

Just be yourself, stay cool and watch the posted traffic signs entering Hollister/Salinas and surrounding areas.

good luck.
Old 06-13-07 | 02:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by teeman3
"you will be welcomed to the event" regardless of what type of bike you ride on...
Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't afraid of being "unwelcome." My main concern was more about common camaraderie with all the fellow hog bikers. I could stand out with a Duc, but I'd make more of a connection if I rode a Harley.

I'm pretty sure I'll have fun no matter what bike I ride. I guess I was more concerned about image more than anything else...
Old 06-13-07 | 05:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

You may enjoy renting the Harley for the contrast in ride. So I say

Snap a pic of yourself in Harley drag if you do it up that way. My buddies wore Hawaiian print shirts since their bikes were pretty colorful.
Old 06-13-07 | 09:06 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

People ride Stradas on Europe like Harleys out here. They are pretty nice to cruise, not like my old 749 that would make my back hurt after 20 min.

Take the Duc!
Old 06-14-07 | 03:58 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
You may enjoy renting the Harley for the contrast in ride. So I say
I thought the same thing. It'll be a different feel and new riding experience. Not all Harley owners are a-holes (but a lot are...ha ha) and not all sportbike riders are squids (but a lot are... ha ha).
But, taking a Duc to a Harley/cruiser event will be sure to raise a few eyebrows.
Old 06-15-07 | 09:38 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

What's the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

Placement of the dirt bag!

I can't stand the stigma associated with Harleys...
"Bad a$$ Orthodontist..."

I'd roll the Duc.
Old 06-15-07 | 11:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Life is a cumulation of experiences...here the chance at another. Maybe Leno will participate so bring the little digital to snap a pic.
Old 06-24-07 | 11:23 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Take the duc man!!!
Old 07-05-07 | 06:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default UPDATE: The ride is tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for all of your opinions!

I will be riding my Duc this weekend. We start riding tomorrow at 6AM (to avoid L.A. traffic and the afternoon heat). 350 miles from La Habra to Hollister!!! Another 80 miles to visit a friend in San Jose.

Any CL members wanna meet up?

I just got the bike pampered today: serviced at Ducati and gave it a new sprocket for faster acceleration (because it's always nicer to be faster...).

I'll post pics when I get back!

RIDE ON!!!

Quick Reply: Harley or Ducati?