Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW and Mercedes sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 08:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default BMW and Mercedes sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ??

BMW and Mercedes sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Posted Jun 11th 2007 9:28PM

Right now luxury carmakers are doing booming business, and rivals BMW and Mercedes are faring better than ever. Both auto manufacturers produce in excess of one million vehicles annually, and profits are coming in by the fistful. At the same time, Audi is growing faster than both luxury stalwarts, and with 22 models coming in the next couple years, the gap may between No. 3 and the perennial Big 2 German luxury autoamakers may shrink even faster. One reason for Audi's pace is that the folks from Ingolstadt can pool engineering and parts resources with VW, Porsche, and even Lamborghini, giving the luxury maker flexibility to produce more products using less money.

A very competitive market is pushing Mercedes and BMW to work together to find those same synergies, and plenty exist. BMW sales and marketing chief Michael Ganal points out that both companies are premium car makers with a lot of money vested in high tech, and combining resources on some projects will help both companies ultimately remain independent. The two are already working with GM and Chrysler on hybrid powertrains, for instance. Automotive News reports that Ganal didn't go into details concerning any partnerships, but we're hoping they do work together to find a new supplier for their unintuitive navigation systems.

[Source: Automotive News -sub. required]
via autoblog
Old 06-11-07, 08:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, is it for real???
never thought about it...
Old 06-11-07, 08:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

The perfect combination. There's one buyout I'd support either way.
Old 06-11-07, 09:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It may work: blend MB's higher level of luxury with BMW's higher level of sport.

I don't think BMW will ever do it though. They're far too independent, and they flaunt their independence. BMW knows that MB has failed with previous alliances, and BMW may look somewhere else.
Old 06-11-07, 09:42 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are people talking merger here? The article just mentions alliances in certain areas...

I would definitely not want to see MB and BMW merge.
Old 06-11-07, 10:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

there are 2 things that bimmer likes to emphasize about themselves and those are: 1) 'ultimate driving machine', they have a better driving experience than anyone else out there ... and 2) they are completely independant ... with those 2 things in mind, any form of alliance seems very unlikely
Old 06-11-07, 10:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Good job Toyo/Lex.
Old 06-12-07, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Based on my experiences with both nameplates, a vehicle with BMW steering gear and Mercedes suspension engineering would be quite a machine. Each company, IMO, excels in this respective area. BMW steering is famous for its telepathic road feel (I myself look forward to BMW reviews just to sample it), and Mercedes vehicles, at least the non-AMG ones, despite their well-known unreliability, seem to have an almost magical combination of ride smoothness and handling that is hard to beat. Mercedes vehicles, like Volvos, also excel in crash safety and the integrity of their cabin-protection and body-crumple systems.

It will be interesting, however, to see if both companies can feasibly work together. Both, being classic German companies, have been stuck with high costs (and M-B, of course, until recently, had Chrysler to run, too).......this, of course, has shown in the relatively high costs of their vehicles compared to the competition.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-07 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 06:39 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Good job Toyo/Lex.
Desperate?
Old 06-25-07, 06:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Mercedes: we don’t want to work with BMW

Mercedes: we don’t want to work with BMW

Monday 25 June 2007

Mercedes-Benz has rejected a proposal from BMW that the two luxury carmakers should work more closely in the future, as revealed by DaimlerChrysler’s head of marketing for Mercedes, Klaus Maier. Last month, BMW director Michael Ganal told reporters that BMW execs were hoping for a tie-up with Mercedes, as both labels are focused on similar objectives, that is, building highly advanced cars with impeccable quality.

Maier, who was interviewed by Handelsblatt, acknowledged that the two had worked together in the past, commenting “we cooperate naturally with BMW in a few technical areas, like development of hybrid engines.” However, the consensus in the Mercedes boardroom is that there are no plans to work together beyond the current co-development of hybrid drivetrains.

When BMW’s Ganal was questioned about what developments the two firms could undertake together, he only mentioned that there are several possibilities but wasn’t willing to give any details.
via motorauthority
Old 06-25-07, 10:35 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rejected!!!