Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche says no to Detroit Auto Show (update, Ferrari and others and Nissan)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 04:34 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, i wonder if this had anything to do with porsche getting pissed off at the US gov for bailing out the big 3?
Old 11-14-08, 10:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
Hmmm, i wonder if this had anything to do with porsche getting pissed off at the US gov for bailing out the big 3?
well porsche said no long before any sign of bailout from US government

but i wonder other companies not going, maybe it has something to do with it
Old 11-14-08, 12:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Does this mean Porsche will unlock the doors of the cars at the SF and Sj auto shows now?
Old 11-14-08, 03:08 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Porsche decision came as a surprise to the executive director of the Detroit Auto Show, Robert Alberts. Alberts said that if Porsche decides to make a return to Detroit, it may end up in the basement for several years.
It is comments like this that makes me feel no sorrow for the big 3 going under in fact it makes want to laugh and point at their face about it. I can't believe their arrogance, actually more like ignorance to me, that they would put out a statement like this. Haven't they realize they are about to go extinct and they should be begging other manufactures to come and show at Detroit?

It wouldn't suprise me the none 3 auto makers that shows there gets the 3rd world treatment by having to park in the off lot area and other none sense like that.
Old 11-14-08, 04:10 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think LA should be the home of the NAIAS.

Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura), Hyundai are all HQed in the area, not to mention Lincoln Mercury as mmarshall pointed out, and next door--Mazda as well. All the design facilities are here, AND Socal has the greatest number of sales BY FAR.
Old 11-14-08, 05:20 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormwind
It is comments like this that makes me feel no sorrow for the big 3 going under in fact it makes want to laugh and point at their face about it. I can't believe their arrogance, actually more like ignorance to me, that they would put out a statement like this. Haven't they realize they are about to go extinct and they should be begging other manufactures to come and show at Detroit?

It wouldn't suprise me the none 3 auto makers that shows there gets the 3rd world treatment by having to park in the off lot area and other none sense like that.
Sorry but your comment is so off base. How exactly do you take a comment from Robert Alberts, the executive director of the Detroit Auto Show into animosity towards the Big Three?
Old 11-14-08, 10:59 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Sorry but your comment is so off base. How exactly do you take a comment from Robert Alberts, the executive director of the Detroit Auto Show into animosity towards the Big Three?
Ok maybe I am a bit off based, maybe the director of the Detroit auto show is not directly related to the big 3 but their ignorance are like two peas in a pod.
Old 11-15-08, 04:20 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Does this mean Porsche will unlock the doors of the cars at the SF and Sj auto shows now?
You wish. They will only do this in Chicago and only for a certain guy from Hyde Park...

j/k.....
Old 11-15-08, 02:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
You wish. They will only do this in Chicago and only for a certain guy from Hyde Park...

j/k.....
Wouldn't surprise me. It pays to be important.

When did you get the M body kit for the 528?
Old 11-24-08, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News | November 24, 2008 - 5:41 pm EST

Nissan North America has canceled plans to participate in the annual Detroit and Chicago auto shows, citing depressed economic conditions.

The decision puts Nissan and Infiniti brands onto a growing list of automakers that are skipping out on the major Detroit international marketing event in 2009. Also withdrawing from the January show are Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Land Rover, Rolls-Royce and Ferrari.

The Chicago auto show is scheduled for February.

Both shows draw media attention to new products from all over the world, in addition to displaying the product line-ups to local consumers.

Nissan corporate spokesman Alan Buddendeck said the decision reflects the current state of the industry and not the Detroit and Chicago shows themselves.

Buddedeck said Nissan believes it effectively got its new product messages for 2009 across at the Los Angeles auto show earlier this month. The company unveiled its new 370Z roadster and the upcoming Cube in Los Angeles.

'Not a small line item'

Automakers across the industry are tightening budgets to conserve cash as new vehicle sales plummet to recession levels.

In comments to reporters at the Los Angeles show, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said he is no longer interested, at the moment, in creating a new affiliation with a North American automaker, as he has been over the past two years. Instead, he said, he is focused on conserving cash.

Buddendeck declined to say how much a full-blown presence at the Detroit or Chicago show would cost Nissan.

He added: “It’s not a small line item on your marketing budget.”

Old 11-25-08, 11:19 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Default Detroit auto show suffering from depression

4 foreign automakers pull out of auto show
By Ryan Beene

Four foreign-owned automakers have pulled out of the 2009 North American International Auto Show in January.

Ultraluxury brands Rolls Royce and Land Rover, as well as Italian sports car maker Ferrari and economy-focused automaker Suzuki, have told show officials they will not have displays at the world’s pre-eminent car show this year.

NAIAS officials could not be reached for comment, but Sam Locricchio, a vice president at Troy-based John Bailey & Associates Inc., confirmed the automakers would not have a presence this year.

John Bailey & Associates is a public-relations firm that handles communications for the auto show.

As for other changes to the show this year, Locricchio said it was unclear exactly how the rest of the show’s attendees would tailor their displays to respond to the auto industry’s significant struggles.

“Here we are in mid-November and it’s a bit early to see how this is going to shake out,” he said.

In a move to cut costs, General Motors Corp. cancelled the planned world debuts for its 2010 Cadillac CTS Coupe and Buick LaCrosse at this month’s Los Angeles Auto Show and move the unveiling to the Detroit show.

Volkswagen AG also said it planned to debut a new concept roadster at the L.A. show on Nov. 19, but postponed it until the Detroit show.

Both GM and Volkswagen cited the Detroit show’s high profile and tremendous media presence as motivation to move the debuts to Cobo Center.

But if the net industry presence at the show slips, it will decrease revenues to Cobo Center and the region.

The auto show generated $476 million, or 80 percent, of Cobo Center’s $595 million contribution in to the region’s economy 2006, Crain’s reported in November 2007.

FLASH: Mitsubishi, Nissan and Infiniti will also be no-shows.

Nissan drops out of auto show
6 others will pass; economy cited

Detroit Free Press

November 25, 2008 -- Nissan Motor Co. said Monday that it has decided to pull out of the 2009 North American International Auto Show as well as the 2009 Chicago Motor Show.

With the Detroit automakers teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and pleading for loans from Congress, this year's auto show was already shaping up to be unusually subdued before news Friday that Mitsubishi Motors Corp. would withdraw.

Nissan's departure shakes the foundation of a show that is Detroit's signature annual event, generating tourism revenue estimated at nearly $500 million annually. The show was already suffering from the loss of five other luxury and niche automotive manufacturers.

Alan Buddendeck, spokesman for Nissan North America, said the decision was made after the company unveiled three new or redesigned cars at the Los Angeles auto show, and because of the need to review all marketing expenditures during the worst industry sales environment in 25 years.

"We had to ask ourselves, 'Is this the best use of our marketing dollars?' " Buddendeck said. "And it is not."

At the Los Angeles show, Nissan held news conferences for its redesigned 370Z Coupe, unveiled its Nissan Cube crossover and Infiniti G37 convertible. It also showed the low-priced version of its Versa subcompact car for the first time.

Nissan's decision caught Detroit show organizers by surprise. As of 5 p.m. Monday, Joe Serra, senior cochairman of the North American International Auto Show, said he thought Nissan was merely thinking about reducing its presence.

Serra said he would try to persuade Nissan to change its mind. "We will work with them and see if there is a way for them to have a presence," Serra said. "I think it's crucial for them ... to be here."

Mitsubishi said it decided to exit the auto show because it is able to reach more potential buyers at shows in Chicago and New York.

"Basically, looking at the economic realities of things, it just was our decision to redeploy those resources towards other things, particularly shows that are a little bit more consumer-oriented," said spokesman Dan Irvin. "This was not an easy decision. This is a one-year decision."

In addition to Nissan and Mitsubishi, four other automotive manufacturers have decided against participating in this year's Detroit show: Rolls-Royce, Land Rover, Ferrari and Suzuki. Porsche Cars North America Inc. was not part of 2008 show and is not returning for '09.

"I think, without a doubt, for us to think it will be business as usual would be foolish," Serra said. "We have to be aware of the economic conditions that we are in."

Still, Serra said he anticipates that this year's event will feature about 45 product introductions from manufacturers around the globe and that demand for space at Cobo Center remains high. Last year, economist David Sowerby studied Cobo and the auto show and concluded that the event pumps about $472 million into the regional economy.

Earlier this month, the auto show announced that at least two Chinese automakers are to be at the 2009 show. BYD will return, while Brilliance Auto, BMW's partner, will make its first appearance.

"No doubt, this show will have a different feel about it," Serra said. "But that being said, we are the show in North America and it's a wonderful event that allows the manufacturers to showcase their products."
Old 11-25-08, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The heck with Detroit....let that show fail. That area is no longer America's true automotive center anyway. The D.C. area I live in sells six times the number of new cars that the Detroit area does (more than New York City, in fact). The SoCal/L.A. area sells even more.....ten times as much as Detroit, although L.A. has been hit harder by the recession than the D.C. area, which is almost always prosperous because of the Federal Government. Years ago, the North American International Show should have been moved from Detroit to either the L.A. or D.C. area. To keep it in Detroit is ridiculous, and just tries to prolong a dying region and tradition....but the show's sponsors just can't see reality.

It's not that I don't have any compassion or concern for the Detroit area and its vast economic problems, but when you are talking about the world's premier-class auto show, you have to take into account the automotive importance of the area you have it. Though, on paper, a few corporate headquarters are still there, most of the money, jobs, investment, assembly-plants, and, yes, new-car sales, have gone South and West....or overseas. Lincoln-Mercury's corporate HQ moved out of Detroit to L.A. years ago and VW of America corporate HQ to the D.C. area (Herndon, VA), just a few miles from my home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-08 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-25-08, 11:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Mike, thanks for saying it.

It does need to change. Detroit is not what it used to be. L.A.'s car culture dominates the current automotive market's perception and interests.

L.A. offers what the World wants to see. Detroit offers what Detroit wants to see.

Huge difference...
Old 11-25-08, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^

Mike, thanks for saying it.

It does need to change. Detroit is not what it used to be. L.A.'s car culture dominates the current automotive market's perception and interests.

L.A. offers what the World wants to see. Detroit offers what Detroit wants to see.

Huge difference...
It's not that I don't have any concern for the Detroit area, but you have to face reality. See the rest of my post:

It's not that I don't have any compassion or concern for the Detroit area and its vast economic problems, but when you are talking about the world's premier-class auto show, you have to take into account the automotive importance of the area you have it. Though, on paper, a few corporate headquarters are still there, most of the money, jobs, investment, assembly-plants, and, yes, new-car sales, have gone South and West....or overseas. Lincoln-Mercury's corporate HQ moved out of Detroit to L.A. years ago and VW of America corporate HQ to the D.C. area (Herndon, VA), just a few miles from my home.

There is indeed a good case for the NAIAS to be moved to L.A., with its enormous population, traffic, and the acknowledged center of the country's car culture. Many future auto trends are started there.

There is an equally good case for the D.C. area (where I live), where the central governmnent is located and many of the auto-industry laws and regulations are made. The sprawl and number of cars and traffic here is huge, though not quite as big as L.A. Car sales are always strong here, too, because of this area's reputation for being recession-resistant.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-08 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-25-08, 01:29 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

There is a good case to move it but I am a fan of tradition. Otherwise there wouldn't be much reason to have an auto show in Geneva, right?

If the companies want to select another show as their main show then by all means they should go do that. Nobody is forcing anyone to do otherwise.

Quick Reply: Porsche says no to Detroit Auto Show (update, Ferrari and others and Nissan)