Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do you want Toyota to be the biggest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 09:34 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you want Toyota to be the biggest?

There has been all kinds of satisfaction and cheer-leading now that Toyota is on the verge of automotive world domination. But it is also becoming apparent that Toyota is reaching a volume threshold which is beginning to effect is vaunted quality and production capabilities.

Toyota is phenomenally successful, there is no doubt. But why do so many want them to become the biggest fish? Things happen to a company when it sits at the top of the heap for long... some of it good, some of it potentially not so good. Once Toyota reaches that level it will no doubt experience this.

Why do you want them to be supreme?
Old 06-12-07, 09:48 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The only reason why I would want Toyota to be on top, is to push Ford and GM into making more desireable product. And this is already happening on a large scale. It wouldn't surprise me to see GM retake the top position in the near future.

Beyond that, if I don't profit from Toyota's success, then I couldn't care less what position they are in. (I'm not a flag waiver in that sense)
Old 06-12-07, 10:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't really care. My Lexus is the first & only car I've bought from Toyota, I was an Acura & Honda owner before, & I grew up riding in German/British cars of my parents. But I will buy another Lexus, so all I care about is that it will be a top quality car that's worth every penny I will spend.

As for the company, I think it's of prime importance to be the #1 in net profits, which they already are by a wide margin since years ago, rather than being the #1 in world wide sales numbers. Keeping their profits & quality high should be their primary goal.
Old 06-12-07, 10:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care about biggest.

I care about best quality.

I would rather have Toyota be a bit more exclusive with great products for a little more $$, because great products have great resale values, so it balances in the end.

Toyota: sell less vehicles, up the quality (and only up the price with better quality), and always have more demand than supply...
Old 06-12-07, 10:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
There has been all kinds of satisfaction and cheer-leading now that Toyota is on the verge of automotive world domination. But it is also becoming apparent that Toyota is reaching a volume threshold which is beginning to effect is vaunted quality and production capabilities.

Toyota is phenomenally successful, there is no doubt. But why do so many want them to become the biggest fish? Things happen to a company when it sits at the top of the heap for long... some of it good, some of it potentially not so good. Once Toyota reaches that level it will no doubt experience this.

Why do you want them to be supreme?
People like being associated with successful things. Toyota is VERY VERY successful. Jaguar, Porsche, Lexus have all had executives saying "successful people want brand that are successful".

One of the reasons you won't find me and millions of others in some other brands, shaky past, track records and no vision.

Toyota is biggest by being what many OWNERS consider to be the best. THey didn't just become BIG like GM. They are considered by many in the industry to be the BEST, which is amazing.

No other automotive company has done what Toyota has done, so Toyota is paving its own road and will encounter bumps first. The amazing thing about them is with "KAIZEN" management, they evolve.

In JAPAN, Toyota has ALWAYS been #1, their market share is bigger than Honda and Nissan COMBINED.

I think other companies can learn their management techniques and vision. Porsche another very successful company acknowledges Toyota's production method saved the company in the early 1990s. BMW has acknowledged Lexus as a powerhouse to watch for.

Its very exciting and VERY VERY exciting for stockholders. I am one of them.

Old 06-12-07, 11:05 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I would rather have Toyota be a bit more exclusive with great products for a little more $$, because great products have great resale values, so it balances in the end.

Toyota: sell less vehicles, up the quality (and only up the price with better quality), and always have more demand than supply...
+1

We want quality. And that is why Toyota is where it is today. And they need to bring back the turbo MR-2 and something sporty oh.. say like the Supra!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-07, 11:53 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's simply natural to root for cars you like.

As for #1? I say competition is good.
Old 06-12-07, 03:12 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I care about quality as well. Doesn't matter if they are the biggest but but for better quality control, being smaller seems to work best.

Toyota cars may have quality compare it to most car companies, but if you compare it to the older Toyota's, it's slipping in some aspects. An example of this my 1995 Toyota Camry. The build quality is alot better than my 2005 Tundra DC. The new Camry interior does not compare to the mid 90's Camry. To tell you the truth, my Camry's interior is actually closer to my Lexus (GS) than my Tundra. Hopefully these new Camrys can go 300k miles and more just like the old ones.

I've had my Camry for a long time and although I probably should have gotten rid of it years ago, have kept it around as a daily driver.
Old 06-12-07, 03:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Don't want or need it to be the biggest. I don't own any Toyota stock (yet). I just want them to be the best.
Old 06-12-07, 03:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't care at all. If you look at most of the cars I've owned many of them were underdogs, but great cars IMHO. I want my favorite sports team to be #1, my favorite race team to be #1, but my cars manufacturer I don't care as long as I get a quality product and one that fits my style. Now, if someone can give me some Toyota stock I'll be the #1 cheerleader
Old 06-12-07, 03:46 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

b/c I'm Japanese

"We want to build reliable cars so people can focus on the important things in life, like a child's education" -Jim Press (not sure if those are the exact words but something along those lines)
Old 06-12-07, 03:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
. The new Camry interior does not compare to the mid 90's Camry. To tell you the truth, my Camry's interior is actually closer to my Lexus (GS) than my Tundra.

Exactly...
Old 06-12-07, 03:55 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I second that
Old 06-12-07, 04:07 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually don't want Toyota to be #1 lol. I'd rather they improve quality. While I applaud them for managing to make cars with more value (think about the price of a Camry or Corolla [I know I'm in a Lexus forum but I didn't keep track of Lexus prices back then] and then compare them to now. In Cdn dollars, they haven't budged much but the equipment level has improved significantly). However, there also has been some noticeable cost cutting.

I like Toyotas because they paid attention to detail. If I simply wanted a Japanese namebrand, Honda, Nissan, Suzuki or even Mazda would have been just as good. But Toyota knows how to include little touches in all their models that make it different to the rest of the class.

The 07 Camry XLE has reclining rear seats and a rear sunshade that's not available on the Accord, 6 or Altima. The 00 Corolla LE had illuminated ignition keyhole, fabric covered centre console, outside temp. gauge, CD player and soft-touch dashboard material. These kinda stuff couldn't be found in a Focus, Sentra, Protegé, Neon or Civic.