Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Develops Next-generation Engine Valve Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 12:20 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Develops Next-generation Engine Valve Mechanism

Can't wait to see this implemented on future production cars.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/07/0612.html

Toyota Develops Next-generation Engine Valve Mechanism
— 'Valvematic' Achieves High Fuel Efficiency and Dynamic Performance —

June 12, 2007

Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that it has developed Valvematic*, a variable valve lift mechanism created through combining VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent), which continuously controls intake valve opening/closing timing, with a new mechanism that continuously controls the intake valve lift volume.

While conventional engines control air intake using a throttle valve, Valvematic adjusts the volume of air taken in by continuously controlling the intake valve lift volume and timing of valve opening and closing. This ensures optimal performance based on the engine's operational condition, thus helping vehicles achieve both high fuel efficiency and dynamic performance.

In the case of a new 2.0-liter engine developed by Toyota, Valvematic—which further evolves the gasoline engine—improves fuel efficiency by 5% to 10% (depending on driving conditions), reduces CO2 emissions, boosts output by at least 10% and enhances acceleration responsiveness. TMC plans to introduce Valvematic shortly, starting with a new vehicle model featuring a 2.0-liter engine.

TMC positions global environmental preservation and initiatives toward energy diversification as a priority management issue in terms of its corporate social responsibility. As a part of its efforts to reduce CO2 emissions through high fuel efficiency and to achieve cleaner exhaust emissions, TMC plans to completely revamp its gasoline engine and transmission lineup by 2010.
Old 06-12-07, 12:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The concept of virtually infinite valve timing profiles instead of just 2 or 3 is pretty neat. Kinda like CVT transmissions. Instead of having a few cam profiles, there's virtually an unlimited number.

But at the same time, this is not a new idea or benefit. It may be a new way of going about it - kinda like how VVT-i and VTEC and so on all accomplish very similar things but in slightly different ways.

I still think the ultimate would be electromagnetically actuated valves.
Old 06-12-07, 01:01 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I still think the ultimate would be electromagnetically actuated valves.
You beat me to it. Until they figure out a way to make this work, all the other VVT news is pretty unremarkable (basically, just a small advance on a technology that's now 19+ years old). As far as I know, the only thing keeping mfg's from developing electronical valves, is figuring out how to generate enough electrical power to actuate them. disclaimer: I won't pretend to really know what I'm talking about there, so I'm just regurgitating what I've heard before.
Old 06-12-07, 01:24 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Will we see this technology in Lexus' F-division engines?

also, this part got me..
In the case of a new 2.0-liter engine developed by Toyota, Valvematic—which further evolves the gasoline engine—improves fuel efficiency by 5% to 10% (depending on driving conditions), reduces CO2 emissions, boosts output by at least 10% and enhances acceleration responsiveness. TMC plans to introduce Valvematic shortly, starting with a new vehicle model featuring a 2.0-liter engine.
Hachiroku?
Old 06-12-07, 01:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
You beat me to it. Until they figure out a way to make this work, all the other VVT news is pretty unremarkable (basically, just a small advance on a technology that's now 19+ years old). As far as I know, the only thing keeping mfg's from developing electronical valves, is figuring out how to generate enough electrical power to actuate them. disclaimer: I won't pretend to really know what I'm talking about there, so I'm just regurgitating what I've heard before.
I believe it has been said that the hop to a 48 volt automotive electrical system will be necessary before full blown electromagnetically actuated valves can be used. I'm already amazed that adaptive variable suspension systems and all of these other technogadgets haven't forced them to move past standard 12-14 volt systems.

The thought of a manufacturer redesigning its entire parts bin of electronics to run reliably and durably on 48 volts is pretty daunting.
Old 06-12-07, 02:26 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I believe it has been said that the hop to a 48 volt automotive electrical system will be necessary before full blown electromagnetically actuated valves can be used. I'm already amazed that adaptive variable suspension systems and all of these other technogadgets haven't forced them to move past standard 12-14 volt systems.

The thought of a manufacturer redesigning its entire parts bin of electronics to run reliably and durably on 48 volts is pretty daunting.
couldn't an efficient transformer solve that problem?
Old 06-12-07, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
couldn't an efficient transformer solve that problem?
It might be a supplier issue, not a technology issue.

Old 06-12-07, 03:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

You guys missed it. There's no throttle body either. NO ONE has done that yet. Don't want the motor to breath? Well close the valves. This is far more precise than using one single drive-by-wire throttle body. Its even better than individual throttle bodies. I suspect, we're going to see some big power come out of the Toyota camp

I'm betting this might be in the LFA engine too (and was created in-part during the R&D phase for that particular motor)

Last edited by Bean; 06-12-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 03:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bean
You guys missed it. There's no throttle body either. NO ONE has done that yet. Don't want the motor to breath? Well close the valves. This is far more precise than using one single drive-by-wire throttle body. Its even better than individual throttle bodies. I suspect, we're going to see some big power come out of the Toyota camp

I'm betting this might be in the LFA engine too (and was created in-part during the R&D phase for that particular motor)
Wow, great point!! This is big news!

Old 06-12-07, 03:28 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure, but I believe that this is how BMW's Valvetronic works.. I stand to be corrected.

As for if the LF-A engine uses this, maybe not. Now that you brought it to my attention that it does not use throttle bodies, I rmember seeing a pic of the LF-A engine and it has 10 individual throttle bodies.

Maybe Yahmaha will integate it into the 2UR-GSE ?
Old 06-12-07, 04:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Perhaps a hybrid will work? The **** is only on the LS600h L and GS450h because it needs the HV battery to supply the power.

If so, Toyota can use the HV battery to supply power to that electromagnetic thing you guys are talking about.
Old 06-12-07, 04:16 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait, whats different from BMW's valvetronic?
Old 06-12-07, 04:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

BMW Valvetronic uses the valves to actuate as the throttle, rather than a traditional throttle body/butterfly valve.

It has been around for quite some time now, too. 6 years available to the public.
Old 06-12-07, 05:04 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The **** is only on the LS600h L and GS450h because it needs the HV battery to supply the power.
Not really. The **** is an option available to the GS430 as well.
Old 06-12-07, 05:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Not really. The **** is an option available to the GS430 as well.
They should make it available for at least the LS460L Touring model . . .

Quick Reply: Toyota Develops Next-generation Engine Valve Mechanism