Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trend Growing for European Vehicle Owners to Buy Asian

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
I'm not surprised by the switching to Prius cars....saw a few of them in Monaco of all places.
Nor am I. European fuel prices are a powerful incentive for cars like the Prius, although unlike here in America, small, light conventional gas and diesel-powered cars are available in Europe that get even better mileage than the Prius does. A prime example is the Volkswagen Lupo (not available in the U.S.) with its 1.2L diesel engine. Drive it sensibly, on a level road, lightly loaded, in good weather, and you can get 80 MPG.
Old 06-12-07, 05:38 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They highlighted that Toyota was the top brand that BMW owners defect to, followed by Lexus and Honda. They also noted that a portion of Mercedes-Benz owners defect to Toyota and Lexus, as well."
ROFL this is just too funny.......
Old 06-12-07, 06:04 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nor am I. European fuel prices are a powerful incentive for cars like the Prius, although unlike here in America, small, light conventional gas and diesel-powered cars are available in Europe that get even better mileage than the Prius does. A prime example is the Volkswagen Lupo (not available in the U.S.) with its 1.2L diesel engine. Drive it sensibly, on a level road, lightly loaded, in good weather, and you can get 80 MPG.
But as a car for someone to put a family in, it is not a smart choice as it is a very tiny car, a Prius can fit more people in comfortably.
Old 06-12-07, 10:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I don't know about switching from BMW/MB to a Toyota, really. Yeah, a lot of Toyotas are superior to base model 3/5 series and MB C class, but the dealership experience is different. For instance a local Toyota dealership here is basically a zoo, its disgusting, I would never want to step my foot in it. Of course, in big cities all dealerships suck, but still, the dealerships for premium makes are generally better.

That being said, someone who suffered with a 3 year lease on a previous gen 323 or 325, would be delighted to get a fully loaded V6 Camry for less money.

Last edited by Och; 06-12-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 10:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Indeed, there are tons of 1.0-1.3 litre cars with exceptional fuel economy. Of course they all take 10-20 seconds to 60 which is taboo in US.

The Prius to Europeans is what the Avalon is to Americans. Crazy, huh?
Old 06-12-07, 10:58 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Indeed, there are tons of 1.0-1.3 litre cars with exceptional fuel economy. Of course they all take 10-20 seconds to 60 which is taboo in US.

The Prius to Europeans is what the Avalon is to Americans. Crazy, huh?
Isn't 10 secs fast for that class?
Old 06-13-07, 02:17 PM
LexFather

I've said this 4-5 years ago. A growing trend in Europe is people buying their first Lexus but 2nd or 3rd hand and gloating at how reliable they are and all they have to do is put in oil.

The gospel spreads...

As for Lexus here, many members here have jumped ship or now keep a Lexus in the garage with a German car.

Old 06-13-07, 02:30 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

As for Lexus here, many members here have jumped ship or now keep a Lexus in the garage with a German car.
Stop peeking in my garage man!
Old 06-13-07, 09:37 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Isn't 10 secs fast for that class?
I guess I should've said 15-20 lol. Yeah 10 secs would be fast.

But anything over 10 seconds in the US is pretty much shunned. I've had my fair share of jeering about how slow my car is. I dunno... 110hp + 1330kg + 10 secs is impressive but some people just look at hard numbers and nothing else.