Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trend Growing for European Vehicle Owners to Buy Asian

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 02:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Trend Growing for European Vehicle Owners to Buy Asian

Trend Growing for European Vehicle Owners to Buy Asian

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. — The latest report issued by the Power Information Network noted that owners of vehicles from several European nameplates often are trading their units for ones made by Asian nameplates.

Report officials said owners of five European nameplates — Saab, Mini, Volkswagen, Volvo and Audi — trade those vehicles for one made by an Asian OEM at a rate of 40 percent or higher. That rate came from sales figures compiled by the network from the first quarter of this year.

A similar rate of trading was noted for owners of vehicles made by Saturn.

"This implies that while Saturn may be attracting import intenders to the General Motors family; a substantial number of these buyers are then returning to an Asian product," report officials explained.

Other nameplates that the reported noted as having a high trade rate for a unit made by an Asian OEM included Pontiac, Mercury and Chrysler.

PIN officials delved deeper into the trading trend toward Asian nameplates by specifically examining the luxury vehicle category. They highlighted that Toyota was the top brand that BMW owners defect to, followed by Lexus and Honda. They also noted that a portion of Mercedes-Benz owners defect to Toyota and Lexus, as well.

"Porsche is the lone luxury brand whose owners usually stay in the luxury arena. The top four brands Porsche owners defect to are all luxury nameplates," report executives pointed out.

Among domestic luxury vehicles, PIN noted that Cadillac owners often defect only to one other luxury nameplate, while Lincoln owners often switch out to only two other luxury brands. Officials also said Pontiac owners' propensity to trade for another Pontiac is just slightly above the likelihood that they will switch to a Chevrolet.

http://www.autoremarketing.com/ar/ne...y.html?id=6455
Old 06-12-07, 02:53 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW and Mercedes to a Toyota, who would've thought that would happen
Old 06-12-07, 02:58 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They highlighted that Toyota was the top brand that BMW owners defect to, followed by Lexus and Honda.
This doesn't make sense. I don't see very many BMW owners going to "Toyota" as they say. Lexus yes, Toyotas? Not really. (YES, I know Lexus is Toyota, but the writer is clearly making a distinction between Toyota and Lexus). With Lexus making more expensive and luxurious cars these days, it's natural we see more cross-shopping.
Old 06-12-07, 03:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, I can see peole from BMW and MB buying Lexus, but why Toyota?
I always thought about buying some toyotas but never did just stay with my Lexuses, recently just got a bimmer too... not try to be offensive but I just can't downgrade ...
Old 06-12-07, 03:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it's because when European-make owners have had their cars in a shop for so long, they consider Toyota's reputation...
Old 06-12-07, 03:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
yes, I can see peole from BMW and MB buying Lexus, but why Toyota?
I always thought about buying some toyotas but never did just stay with my Lexuses, recently just got a bimmer too... not try to be offensive but I just can't downgrade ...

maybe A-class, B-class, 1 series and x3 owners?
Old 06-12-07, 03:48 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by MR_F1
maybe A-class, B-class, 1 series and x3 owners?
But this is in the US
Old 06-12-07, 04:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not only that. There are quite a number members at PriusChat that owned luxury cars. The wildest trade so far was some guy from a Maserati Coupe GT to a Prius. Others owned various Porsches, Acuras, BMWs, Lexuses etc. (yeah I know I had some Japanese nameplates in there). Others from Jeeps, Dodges and Saturns.
Old 06-12-07, 04:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Make sense that some would trade for Toyota Prius, because they want an enviro friendly hybrid instead of a gas guzzling German luxury car . . . people like Di Caprio etc. . . .
Old 06-12-07, 04:20 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The wildest trade so far was some guy from a Maserati Coupe GT to a Prius.
I care about the environment (especially living in Tokyo), but wow, thats some tree-huggin-love.
Old 06-12-07, 04:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
But this is in the US
ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh
Old 06-12-07, 04:34 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, I got higher optioned models here...
Hope they offer A-class. I like that cute little thing..
Old 06-12-07, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Is this for vehicle owners in the American-market only? The article suggests this, but doesn't say so outright.

The reason I bring that point up is that when you are considering European defections to Toyota, you also have to consider that there are European nameplate vehicles on sale in Europe that are not (or no longer) available here in the U.S....brands like Fiat, Renault, Citroen, and Lancia....that are notorious for unreliability. Some of them would even make Mercedes products and the BMW 7-series look reliable in comparison. Little wonder that some of these owners would dump them at the first opportunity for a more reliable Japanese-designed vehicle, although the protectionist trade and economic policies of some European countries sometimes makes this difficult.
Old 06-12-07, 04:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not surprised by the switching to Prius cars....saw a few of them in Monaco of all places. Not to mention the Prius is itself a technological wonder, with SmartAccess/NAVI display etc. Interesting to see conquest buys of Toyota/Lexus vehicles from former BMW/Benz owners.
Old 06-12-07, 05:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Make sense that some would trade for Toyota Prius, because they want an enviro friendly hybrid instead of a gas guzzling German luxury car . . . people like Di Caprio etc. . . .
Ya, that's the only reason I can think of people moving from luxo brands to a Toyota rather than a Lexus. There's also the HiHy.

Some guy at the autoshow was looking at the HiHy. He currently has a BMW X5 4.4i and wanted something more environmentally friendly and uses less fuel. I told him why not try the RX400h since that's more on par with his X5 than a HiHy. Apparently, he didn't know it existed .

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I care about the environment (especially living in Tokyo), but wow, thats some tree-huggin-love.
haha I know. I was sceptical at first. Cdn$200k+ car to a $30k car?

Quick Reply: Trend Growing for European Vehicle Owners to Buy Asian