Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to purchase a Mercedes S55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 07:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
its ok the xb is very nice I love the car..

I'm a Toyota guy at heart but I also drive other car just liek JAC, lately i have been driving a modded 996TT... it sucks driving that thing in LA traffic.. seat is uncomfortable.. suspension is ultra stiff and low it is so hard to drive.. inside is so loud i can't hardly talk.. super thirsty..LA to OC back my full tank is gone I can't wait to go home and take the XB out tonight
ok, who here calls bs?

I do....
Old 06-16-07, 01:57 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
ok, who here calls bs?

I do....
bs?? I do have a 08 XB.. I know they are hot and hard to get, I don't drive it everyday so most people think that I bs when I told them I ACTUALLY have one.. well here is a pic to proof it.. 08 XB in white

sorry to go off topic..
Old 06-16-07, 07:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
ok, who here calls bs?

I do....
Guys, please get back on topic , about the the Mercedes . . .
Old 06-16-07, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Guys, please get back on topic , about the the Mercedes . . .
OK...I'll address the Mercedes issue, but I note that there has been a lot of talk in this thread about the cost of replacing automatic, non-conventional suspensions (and the post about having to do it at 6K miles, was, IMO, simply unacceptable for a new car...this is one reason why M-B has such a poor reputation, reliability-wise). It should also be noted that it is not easy or cheap to make repairs on ANY vehicle that has high-tech suspensions, not just the Mercedes S-Class....vehicles like the Magna-Ride Corvette, Cadillac XLR, air-suspension Lincoln Town car, adjustable-ride-height Lexus LX470, etc.....

In SOME cases (not all) high-tech struts and suspensions can be replaced with more conventional ones at lower cost, though of course the ride/handling characteristics will differ somewhat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-07 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 10:21 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Default Don't do it!!!

I purchased a 02MB500. STAY AWAY! If you enjoy taking it to the dealership for repairs, go for it mang. Let's reveiw:
1) Suspension air-matic went bad(replaced)
2) passenger side motor went in window
3) 2nd time suspension went out
4) Gas gauge sensor went bad & stuck on side of road!
5) Dash lights went out & swapped out by dealer(center relay burned up)
** The dealer now replaces this $2500 includes install by unlimited mile warranty **This goes out on all S-class up to 2005 every 40,000 miles. A kid in Florida started a business cus so many of them needed to be replaced- from MBWorld for $400. Send & Swap.
6) Engine belt & pulley broke- replaced
7) driver side HID ballast burned & bulb
8) ABC went out a 3rd friggin time (this time the dealer started to give me problems until I threated to sue them.
9) Sun-roof switch broke (close switch had to be used for down)
This car has too many problems for me to list. The funny thing is it was a great car. Drive & handles well for the size. IT JUST IS NOT RELIABLE!!!!
After having 2 generations of them I will not plan to S550.
I knew better but the price is what attracted to the car.I got it from auction with extended warranty. Not worth the discount! Never again!

Paul
Old 06-16-07, 11:55 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

^^wow...I know it's bad but man... I agree that no discount or warranty is worth the trouble and loss of precious time.
Old 06-16-07, 12:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It should also be noted that it is not easy or cheap to make repairs on ANY vehicle that has high-tech suspensions, not just the Mercedes S-Class....vehicles like the Magna-Ride Corvette, Cadillac XLR, air-suspension Lincoln Town car, adjustable-ride-height Lexus LX470, etc.....
It should be noted that the Mercedes is the only one suffering fatal collapse on a normal basis

(no mystery why I chose a Mercedes without air ride, no problems at all )
Old 06-16-07, 01:34 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
I purchased a 02MB500. STAY AWAY! If you enjoy taking it to the dealership for repairs, go for it mang. Let's reveiw:
1) Suspension air-matic went bad(replaced)
2) passenger side motor went in window
3) 2nd time suspension went out
4) Gas gauge sensor went bad & stuck on side of road!
5) Dash lights went out & swapped out by dealer(center relay burned up)
** The dealer now replaces this $2500 includes install by unlimited mile warranty **This goes out on all S-class up to 2005 every 40,000 miles. A kid in Florida started a business cus so many of them needed to be replaced- from MBWorld for $400. Send & Swap.
6) Engine belt & pulley broke- replaced
7) driver side HID ballast burned & bulb
8) ABC went out a 3rd friggin time (this time the dealer started to give me problems until I threated to sue them.
9) Sun-roof switch broke (close switch had to be used for down)
This car has too many problems for me to list. The funny thing is it was a great car. Drive & handles well for the size. IT JUST IS NOT RELIABLE!!!!
After having 2 generations of them I will not plan to S550.
I knew better but the price is what attracted to the car.I got it from auction with extended warranty. Not worth the discount! Never again!

Paul

I had simlar expericace and I always tell other people to think twice before getting into a W220... I don't want to sound rude but to me personally the W220 is a piece of garbage that MB should not offer as a flagship sedan.. it is so unreliable problems just never ends... BUT W221 is another story...

this is my post on MB world on the same subject

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showpo...8&postcount=56
Old 06-17-07, 07:38 PM
kazam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The S class has a lot of panache, so I can understand why folks would flock to it. The E55 AMG is just to darn good to pass over. Less problematic, Vette performance, tighter platform, just a timeless executive rocket. Renntech has some serious performance parts for it as well. E55 AMG!!

I truly do not like the body style of the E55. Especially the newer ones. The round back end resembles the most of the smaller benz models.