Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus remove the word "Lexus" from their vehicles?
Yes - I would like to see the word "Lexus" removed from their vehicles.
36.89%
No - I don't want to see the word "Lexus" removed from their vehicles.
63.11%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus remove the word "Lexus" from their vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 02:41 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX_330
My confusion was the location of the Kompressor badge, not if it existed. We're past that now, but thanks anyway.
The comment wasn't directed towards you, but thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by ff_
They could just do "Mercedes". What looks silly is when they put "Kompressor" on the trunk lid. Just a little too busy.
Originally Posted by Koma
Most people don't even know what Kompressor stands for, so I agree. The Kompressor label should go.
Old 06-14-07, 04:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

The reason Mercedes doesn't put their name on their cars is because they were the first car, everyone else is just tagging along in the game

EDIT: too bad they didn't keep that quality control thing going...... it was working for them.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 06-14-07 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 04:52 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honest;y, I don;t care, but removing it is a good idea..
evryone know what the symble stands for.
Old 06-14-07, 06:12 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face I Said Take it Off

I think the emblem, on any car not just Lexus, is enough ... especially since the emblems are getting so large.

The main reason I say take em off automobiles is to make waxing easier.
Old 06-14-07, 06:34 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
I think the emblem, on any car not just Lexus, is enough ... especially since the emblems are getting so large.

The main reason I say take em off automobiles is to make waxing easier.
It is getting kind of ridiculous. Have you seen the new CL and C-Class lately?

I think Lexus has it perfectly fine right now with the badge size, especially for the grilles.
Old 06-14-07, 09:22 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After wiping down my windows daily, I also shine my Thundercloud grill, all the rear emblems and exhaust tip. Keep it on! There is nothing better looking than shiny chrome.

I think it will throw off the balance of how the rear looks. It's balanced with "Lexus" on the left, "L" centered and model on the right.
Old 06-15-07, 01:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They day I can buy a car off the showroom and not have any badging on the car (Exception could be the symbol emblem) is the day I'll be happy. I like to debadge my cars because it looks cleaner and I really don't care to have all that plastic lettering on my car. I also don't really care to be a rolling advertisment if I don't have to. I say all cars should at most only have the company symbol and the model name.

I've never called my cars by the manufacturer name unless I wanted to be vague. I've always called them by their model name.
Old 06-15-07, 06:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually like the "Lexus" name plate to remain. The design of the name plate flows with their vehicles, and looks great.
Old 06-15-07, 06:34 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed

I've never called my cars by the manufacturer name unless I wanted to be vague. I've always called them by their model name.
I've had problems of people not knowing what the model is, they just go "huh?"
Old 06-15-07, 07:33 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, the L-badge speaks for itself but why copy? Seems people like the Lexus name, it sound luxurious, people gravitate to it. I think its great they have the Lexus name and symbol on their cars.

Well, because Toyota does the same thing on their models and I would think Lexus might want to separate themselves a bit further from what Toyota does. I'm still on the fence with this idea myself, but I've actually come across some people who have said to me "why do they need to put Lexus on their cars when MB doesn't need to?" Of course these people tend to not really like Lexus anyway, so maybe they're just coming up with anything to bash it. But I dunno, I can kinda see their point. I can also see how keeping the Lexus name on them balances out the badge and the model distinction (left, center, right), and of course the perfectionist in me prefers a more balanced look

One of the reasons why I started this thread though was because I was looking at the LF-A pics and thinking to myself "where are they going to put the word 'Lexus' on that model?" As it stands right now, there's really no place for it without ruining the design of the car. So it got me thinking how maybe Lexus should just remove the name from their entire lineup, as it may become an issue further down the road with newer designs and newer models in the future.

I think other companies are far worse to the point of being tasteless, trying their best to advertise their brand. Here are 3 examples
Here are some examples
1. If you look closely, Acura is STAMPED in the front bumper of every TL!!

I would put Acura in the same category as Lexus in this regard. Same placement for everything. Yes, if you look closely, you can see the Acura stamp up front, but it's tastefully done, IMO.

2. Cadillac Escalade
Giant 8x10 size badge with huge "Escalade" on the rear

Well, the Escalade is a big truck. What do you want the badge to look like? No, I actually think that size looks OK on the Escalade. It's not as if on the opposite side a big "Cadillac" sign is tacked on to it as well.

3. Infiniti G35s, this is ridiculous, giant I N F I N I T I on the rear.

It's not that giant
But I actually think Infiniti should probably remove their name from their models and just leave the badge. It would look much cleaner and classier, IMO. But I don't think it looks bad as is either.
Old 06-15-07, 04:34 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
I've had problems of people not knowing what the model is, they just go "huh?"
That is the way I like it If they know, they know. If they don't. I don't care. This way for me it tells me if people really know good cars or just name brands. I had an insurance agent tell me how nice my Acura NSX was, but when I brought the BMW 325 in she was more impressed because it was a BMW
Old 06-15-07, 04:55 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally like the Lexus lettering on the cars.

On a side note, I've been thinking lately that Lexus especially the new LS600hL should have a hood ornament. I love the luxury cars with hood ornaments like RR, MB, Jag, Maybach, etc. The hell with BMW, Lexus is obviously going for the luxury market and not the sporting market. A cool L hood ornament would looks classy on the top of the line Lexus.
Old 06-15-07, 05:59 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say keep the Lexus name on the cars. I like the stylized look of the letters as much as the name itself. And I don't know exactly what it is about the word "Lexus" but for me it conjures up a very regal image. I flows off the tongue effortlessly like "caviar". In my opinion, it is the perfect name for the brand. Amazing how an "invented" word can produce such a distinct image. I know Toyota spent a lot of time and money deciding on it, and the end product was well worth the investment, IMHO.
Old 06-15-07, 06:31 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

I like it...not because it says lexus and thats supposed to be prestigious but because it gives a better balance to the rear of the car. I tried debadging my sc400 ( took off "lexus" and "sc400", left the "L") but it didnt give the car a smooth look in the rear imo
Old 06-16-07, 10:50 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Defenately not, otherwise LS460 and ES350 will be often mistaken for a Camry.
I agree with the above.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus remove the word "Lexus" from their vehicles?