Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota SARD Supra HV-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 10:45 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota SARD Supra HV-R

Last year, Toyota Team SARD fielded a race-prepped Lexus GS450h in the Tokachi 24-hour enduro. The Lexus went the distance, finishing 4th in its class and 17th overall. The 2007 edition of the contest is set for July 15th, and SARD will be back with another hybrid-powered machine. This year, however, it's going to be decidedly racier -- a Supra, to be exact. It would appear that the SARD folks are looking to possibly win it this time around. The newly-announced Denso SARD Supra HV-R began its life as a Supra GT racing car and will be powered by a hybridized Super GT-spec 3UZ-FE V8 displacing 4,480cc that dishes out 480 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque.

The hybrid system for the car will incorporate regenerative braking, a pair of 10kW in-wheel motors up front and a 150kW motor at the rear. It'll weigh in at a little over 2300 pounds. The provisional race livery was revealed in the artwork shown above, and we'll have more whenever SARD rolls out the finished car. Not a bad way to make use of a retired racer, eh? SARD currently runs the Denso Lexus SC430 in Japan's Super GT series, too.
Source: Autoblog
Old 06-18-07, 10:55 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

So essentially they are using the V8 from the LS600h to run a supra... that's freakin' SWEET! I hope they do better than they did last year!
Old 06-18-07, 11:12 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
So essentially they are using the V8 from the LS600h to run a supra... that's freakin' SWEET! I hope they do better than they did last year!
Not exactly. They are using a race-spec 3UZ-FE V8, which is the V8 from the late LS430 and GS430.

But still, pretty awesome news. A hybrid Supra being run at a 24hr race? Interesting to say the least. I also wonder if Toyota is teasing us or hinting at a possible new sports car to come in the future .

Also pay attention to the stated weight of the car; even though it's a race car, it's still a hybrid, and it weighing in a bit over 2300 lbs is nothing short of amazing. This makes one wonder about the potential of a hybrid system in the LF-A.
Old 06-18-07, 11:23 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good old UZ engine eh? Hopefully next year we'll see them putting the new UR engine to good use.

Still, good to see Supra coming back with a new hybrid life, definitely a much better base car to build a race car on than the GS.
Old 06-18-07, 11:24 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Not exactly. They are using a race-spec 3UZ-FE V8, which is the V8 from the late LS430 and GS430.

But still, pretty awesome news. A hybrid Supra being run at a 24hr race? Interesting to say the least. I also wonder if Toyota is teasing us or hinting at a possible new sports car to come in the future .

Also pay attention to the stated weight of the car; even though it's a race car, it's still a hybrid, and it weighing in a bit over 2300 lbs is nothing short of amazing. This makes one wonder about the potential of a hybrid system in the LF-A.

I was wondering the same damn thing. The Tokachi is for production based automobiles. The Supra hasn't been in production since 2002
Old 06-18-07, 11:26 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

when i saw the hv-r, i had a feeling that it was going to be a hybrid.
Old 06-18-07, 11:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I was wondering the same damn thing. The Tokachi is for production based automobiles. The Supra hasn't been in production since 2002
You never know what Toyota is up to. The car could be a test-bed for a production FT-HS and could be using some prototype parts. The GS450h in the race last year was used as a test-bed to further understand hybrid technology and gain insight into hybrid development.

The rumours of a new Toyota sports car just got stronger.
Old 06-18-07, 12:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ElitistK
when i saw the hv-r, i had a feeling that it was going to be a hybrid.
Yeah...the name is quite obvious isn't it? hv-r = Hybrid Vehicle for Racing.
Old 06-18-07, 01:31 PM
mr. haison
Pole Position

This makes me wonder if they are using the newer lithium ion batteries or the nickel hydide. If they are using the lithium ion batteries it would be a great place to test its reliability.
Old 06-18-07, 02:43 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mr. haison
This makes me wonder if they are using the newer lithium ion batteries or the nickel hydide. If they are using the lithium ion batteries it would be a great place to test its reliability.
Very true. And with a weight of 2300lbs...thats almost identical to a JGTC/Super GT spec supra, makes you wonder even more.

You never know what Toyota is up to. The car could be a test-bed for a production FT-HS and could be using some prototype parts. The GS450h in the race last year was used as a test-bed to further understand hybrid technology and gain insight into hybrid development.

The rumours of a new Toyota sports car just got stronger.

guess what else.....

next round of speculation is whether or not That car is actually a Nissan mule. Why? WTF is a Lexus LF-A doing following it around?
Old 06-18-07, 04:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

guess what else.....

next round of speculation is whether or not That car is actually a Nissan mule. Why? WTF is a Lexus LF-A doing following it around?
Whoa where did this pic pop out from? Very interesting indeed...
Old 06-18-07, 05:53 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

more speculation says its coincidence......

It was taken closeby to the ring.
Old 06-18-07, 06:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It could definitely be coincidence, or it could be there for other reasons. AS for the Supra, it's very likely that some prototype hybrid components are being tested including lithium ion batteries. It's also likely that Supra shell could be sitting on a new chassis design.
Old 06-18-07, 06:51 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

It could definitely be coincidence, or it could be there for other reasons. AS for the Supra, it's very likely that some prototype hybrid components are being tested including lithium ion batteries. It's also likely that Supra shell could be sitting on a new chassis design.
i dont see that as being likely......I believe it's the retired SARD from Super GT/JGTC... the run a Lexus SC now
Old 06-18-07, 06:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

i dont see that as being likely......I believe it's the retired SARD from Super GT/JGTC... the run a Lexus SC now
I agree with you...I could see a few ever so slight modifications here and there, but running a new chassis (and all that work that is required in constructing one) would be nice, but I just can't see it.

Quick Reply: Toyota SARD Supra HV-R