Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series vs. 2007 BMW M6 (Edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 02:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Why does this have to turn into a Lexus vs. BMW thread again?

Forget I even said anything about Lexus. Let's keep this strictly a Benz vs BMW thread. Regardless, my points still stand.
Old 06-19-07, 02:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Why does this have to turn into a Lexus vs. BMW thread again?
It isn't going to.

The BENZ and the BMW are both excellent cars, but hands down the BENZ brings something to the table the BMW just doesn't have both inside and out.
Old 06-19-07, 03:23 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It isn't going to.

The BENZ and the BMW are both excellent cars, but hands down the BENZ brings something to the table the BMW just doesn't have both inside and out.
I havent driven a car yet that beats the steering feeling of a BMW. Mercedes is getting more agile, but just doesn't cut it like a BMW. It does feel more safe, but more boring (for the lack of better word, sorry).
Old 06-19-07, 03:25 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Holy cow. I didn't realize the price is $137k!!!
me neither. jeez....137k...my GS400 has about that much miles haha.
man, I could buy an Aston Martin V8 Vantage for that price.
Old 06-19-07, 04:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just watch and listen to the BMW M6 on its playground...... The Nurburgring

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IDwbcCWgUk
Old 06-19-07, 04:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I havent driven a car yet that beats the steering feeling of a BMW. Mercedes is getting more agile, but just doesn't cut it like a BMW. It does feel more safe, but more boring (for the lack of better word, sorry).
Doesn't mean it's not out there. Edmunds says the Benz here has better steering feel, handling ... better everything basically compared to the BMW. I have not driven the M6 nor have I driven the CLK Black Series, but even if the Benz has the better steering feel, why is it such a big surprise?
Old 06-19-07, 04:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Just watch and listen to the BMW M6 on its playground...... The Nurburgring

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IDwbcCWgUk

That vid is crazy.. the car sound unbelievably fast.. The car looks like it handles on rails unlike most cars out there.. No understeer IMO..
Old 06-19-07, 06:41 PM
genearch
Driver

BMW still is the "Ultimate Driving Machine." There's nothing wrong with being bested by such a capable cars. You seem to have left out that the BMW got beat by a car with less options and 30k more. Looks like you are twisting things against BMW again and always bringing the Lexus discussion into the mix.

The Black Series is a cut above your average AMG car, it is a track ready car! The M6 isn't built to compete with such a car, it is more of a luxo-GT-cruiser.
Exactly... Damn that M6 does sound sweet! If I could only get one of those someday! One can only dream.

I inquired about the CLK63 with a rather large MB dealer here in So.Cal (ya know.. I was just dreaming) and I was told.. nowhere less than $60K over sticker. This dealer expects 2-3 total.

Keeping it real... this is a street version of a very high performance track car. Nothing wrong with that at all, but lets be practical.
Old 06-19-07, 07:08 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another good review worth watching. http://youtube.com/watch?v=cILugf4-6Jw
Old 06-19-07, 07:43 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

As has been stated the Black Series AMGs are a cut above regular AMGs, kinda like Audi's RS vs. S, or Porsche's GT3 RS vs. regular GT3.

Also, the 6-series is a luxo-barge GT coupe. I would think the M3 coupe would handle and track better, despite having less power. Esp. if you're talking M3 CSL.

Lastly, the CLK doesn't really compare to the 6-series, being in different classes. It may be the closest competitor M-B has to BMW, but really it's more comparable to the Audi RS5, I'd think (between C/A4 and E/A6 in size/price).

Anyway, just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth (two cents).
Old 06-19-07, 09:18 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
There is no twisting going on here. The M6 is the most track-oriented and highest performing coupe BMW has, based on a luxo-cruiser. The CLK Black Series is the most track-oriented car Benz has to offer, also based on a luxo-cruiser. If BMW offered something more sportier than an M6, you can be sure that it would have been in this comparo.
What about M Coupe or M3?
Old 06-19-07, 09:39 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Doesn't mean it's not out there. Edmunds says the Benz here has better steering feel, handling ... better everything basically compared to the BMW. I have not driven the M6 nor have I driven the CLK Black Series, but even if the Benz has the better steering feel, why is it such a big surprise?
I dunno, I guess I'm just stuck with my stereotype (which is probably not a good thing to do) that BMW=razor sharp handling w/ awesome feedback whereas Mercedes is more on the safer side. Then again, I've never driven a M6 or a black series...the 645Ci impressed me, and the latest Mercedes I've driven was a CLS55 and those surprised me even more (in a good way).

Too bad I'll probably never get to drive a M6 or a black series.
Old 06-19-07, 10:12 PM
genearch
Driver

A valid point raised in another forum...

"Tires make a HUGE difference......shame on Mercedes putting R Compounds on a streetcar......the customers aren't going to be happy replacing them every 3,000 miles."

Curious how the M6 would do with the R's?
Old 06-19-07, 10:42 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch

"Tires make a HUGE difference......shame on Mercedes putting R Compounds on a streetcar......the customers aren't going to be happy replacing them every 3,000 miles."

One way to find out... put some on yours and let us know.
Old 06-20-07, 11:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch

I don't see how that's even an issue. When you buy a Black Series, you're buying a street legal track car basically. I would expect nothing less than R compound tires. If you're buying a Black Series in the first place, chances are you can probably afford to maintain it as well.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series vs. 2007 BMW M6 (Edmunds)