Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: ultimate japanese sports car?
350Z/300ZX
2.46%
last gen. supra
28.69%
rx-7/rx-8
3.28%
nsx
40.16%
sti
0%
evo
3.28%
others(list them)
8.20%
Skyline GT-R
13.93%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

ultimate japanese sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 07:02 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NSX. Hands down. Sure it wasn't terribly powerful, but I liked its shape and sound. Heard one accelerate full throttle and I fell in love with it. It's great fun to toss around in GT3/GT4 too!
Old 06-19-07, 07:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I voted for the Supra because I am an owner since 1994. But the NSX (IMHO) is by far the sexiest of all the Japanese sports cars and has the most impressive pedigree of any Japanese car. Few machines had the late, great, Ayrton Senna on their development teams. The NSX stands alone in the crowd. And the fact it is as reliable as a Civic set altogether new standards for exotics.
Old 06-19-07, 08:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Gordon Murry has nothing but praise for the NSX and owns/owned one as well.
Here is a few things that's interesting about Murray and the NSX:
Murray didn’t know how much longitudinal wheel compliance to provide. In racing cars every effort is made to eliminate compliance to maximise wheel control. So McLaren bought a Honda NSX and put it on the electro-hydraulic kinematics and compliance rig at Anthony Best Dynamics. A Porsche 928S and Jaguar XL16 were also measured.

when he started to design the McLaren F1, Gordon Murray used [the NSX] as the benchmark for shifter feel. The car that, more than ten years on from its introduction, is still one of the closest things you can get to driving an F1 car on the road. Without actually driving an F1 car on the road.

For those unaware, the NSX even managed to make an impression on “McLaren F1” creator Gordon Murray, who stated he wanted the “F1” to have the usability and drivability of a Honda NSX. Apparently Mr. Murray also said something along the lines of: “I want the F1’s transmission to feel just like the NSX’s” (which he believed to be the best on the market at the time).
Old 06-19-07, 08:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

NSX-R >> everything else
Old 06-19-07, 08:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heh... Well, comparing NSX to a Supra-TT is kind of like comparing a Z06 to a Viper SRT10. I'd have all four
Old 06-19-07, 08:43 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting how very few of us put down 2000GT, the car that started it all, in japan that is. Sure by todays standards its a dino but it is, imo that wish car, 'if could have one car, any car what would you have', yes i'd choose it even over one of the 39 remaining ferrari 250 GTO's.
Old 06-19-07, 09:14 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I like the Supra a LOT, but I can't believe it's even close to the NSX
in this poll.
Old 06-19-07, 10:05 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I like the Supra a LOT, but I can't believe it's even close to the NSX
in this poll.
Lexus board, a lot of Toyota fans However, the NSX is still winning, that tells you something. If we had this same poll on s2ki.com the NSX would win by miles. I think the NSX would win on neutral forums as well. While the Supra is a beast and a legend, it's a totally different car and not in the same league. Most people voting for the Supra are probably thinking about modified single turbo Supras. Stock Supra vs. Stock NSX? The NSX wins in just about every category, including the CL favorite, refinement.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-20-07 at 07:23 AM. Reason: fan "boys" not needed
Old 06-19-07, 10:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Supra is winning in the same poll in my350Z forum(The Lounge) . . .
Old 06-19-07, 10:23 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Lexus board, a lot of Toyota fan boys..... ..... Stock Supra vs. Stock NSX? The NSX wins in just about every category, including the CL favorite, refinement.
Yes.

Marshmallo, i am an toyboy from the days of building your own T-3 w/18G-R head/dual sidedraft 44 webber IDA's (48's were too big unless it was DCOE) in your garage to drop in a '72 SR-5 coupe, build your own TRD trans, shortend chevy 10bolt/ford 8" rear ends cuz the stock toy axels would snap. To the lovely days of the 20R/22R motors that would run forever with minimal care. We called them shoyu then not rice. No one is saying the MKIV supra is bad. Its not and we all know this, i myself have owned a MKIII and longed for a MKIV. Why do you think i bought a IS350? Finally a RWD toyota sports (sporty) car with power BECAUSE there is no new MKIV at the stealership...

The NSX-R thou... its the stuff of legends...
Old 06-19-07, 11:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Lexus board, a lot of Toyota fan boys. However, the NSX is still winning, that tells you something. If we had this same poll on s2ki.com the NSX would win by miles. I think the NSX would win on neutral forums as well. While the Supra is a beast and a legend, it's a totally different car and not in the same league. Most people voting for the Supra are probably thinking about modified single turbo Supras. Stock Supra vs. Stock NSX? The NSX wins in just about every category, including the CL favorite, refinement.

Right.......Sure

This says otherwise

The NSX is a GREAT car, but you better recognise......
Old 06-19-07, 11:58 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you miss GTR in your poll? I would say definitely Nissan Skyline GTR.
Old 06-20-07, 12:32 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Right.......Sure

This says otherwise

Nihon-go wakarukai? Ore wa yo~ku wakaru. In Japan the NSX is the holy grail that all street racers strive to attain, even those with skylines/supras something you'd have to live there to understand. That clip was from the mid 90's and the NSX shown was a normal NSX. There are minor to major difference's between the NSX and NSX-R. Like there is between a new 500hp shelby mustang and a Roush stage3 (which makes much less hp yet goes much faster on a course). These are also professional drivers not an 'everyman'...

Another thing, like the IS vs G, every year each maker ups its game, next yr im sure the G will beat us, then after that the IS will beat the G, think chevy vs ford vs dodge in the late 60's, its a cycle thing. Durring that yr cycle the Supra came out on top, im sure the next yr cycle someother manufacturer would have upped its game.

But hey w/e right?
Old 06-20-07, 12:35 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Right.......Sure

This says otherwise

Did you just link a Best Motoring Video like it was a real race?
Old 06-20-07, 02:18 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know people that have both Supra's and NSX's as well as someone that has two near 1000HP Supras and an NSX. Personally, I won't say which one they prefer over all because that is just hersey, but I generally respect the opnions of owners that have experience woth both cars in question or at the very least have driven them before.

Quick Reply: ultimate japanese sports car?