Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New ZENN car

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07 | 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default New ZENN car

DES MOINES, Iowa -- There's buzz about ZENN. What is ZENN? It's a car with an acronym that stands for zero emission, no noise.

Instead of filling up a gas tank, drivers charge the car just like a cell phone. The vehicle, which is being rolled out in in Ames, Iowa, operates on 100 percent electricity.

Driving ZENN could take some getting used to. For starters, there's no gearshift.

"It's a wonderful feeling to drive down the road and think, 'I don't have to do anything but plug it in.' It's no different than my cell phone. I don't have to change the oil. I don't have to go to the gas station," said Thomas Gleisner of AmesCars.com.

It can go for 50 miles or eight hours around town on a single charge.

"It takes a long time to accumulate a dollar('s) worth of electricity to charge this car," he said. "Once you buy it, you might spend $5 to $10 a month charging and driving the vehicle."

The car tops out at 25 mph.

"It's a feeling of freedom that you can have and if you add the dollars and cents up, it can save you money as well at the end of the month," Gleisner said.

The few dollars it costs to charge the ZENN every month could soon be a thing of the past. A dealership on the west coast is already using solar panels to charge up.

"I'm sure you could mount something on top of the vehicle or something at your house where then it would cost you nothing but the sun's rays to charge your ZENN," he said.

Because of its speed limitations, the vehicle is not made for the open road.

The car costs between $12,000 and $16,000. For those who don't have a long commute, it can be an option for getting to and from work.

Article, and video:
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/a...70/detail.html

Manufacturer:
http://www.zenncars.com/
Attached Images