Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sunroofs, safe or unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I love sunroofs, especially down here in the tropics where a conventional convertible is impractical. It may or may not have an effect on structure, depending on the vehicle (Lexus sunroofs are rather modest by comparison to those if other makes in terms of overall size) if they don't interrupt major structural members. If the coachwork is otherwise sound, problems with squeaks and rattles are minimal. They do require maintenance to avoid troubles, and like mmarshall, I miss that wrench . . .
Almost any sunroof will have some effect on body and roof structural strength, although like you said, on some vehicles that effect can be very small. But even the small amount IS there....for a cutout to have NO effect would be to deny the laws of physics and metallurgy.

And, not surprising.....Volvo and Mercedes, in their tradition of making superlative car body structures, generally do sunroof body integrity best....especially the Mercedes S-Class.
Old 06-22-07, 07:21 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta have the sunroof!!! Its a must have. Around dusk is the best time to use it, not too hot and not too cold.

My first toyota Supra didn't have it but the 2nd one did. Man I missed the old supra. Of course both of my lexus have it and any other car I will buy in the future.

I agree with many of the comments mentioned already. Your parents' arguments doesn't hold water. The accident they heard was probably a 1 in a million.

Do as you say, your old enough to make your own decision. Don't regret not getting the sunroof!!!
Old 06-22-07, 07:37 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for all your replies. I think there's no doubt i'm getting one with a sunroof, I know they will blab, but wth, i don't live with them, so I can stand it once a while when i go visit then. Anyways, yeah, like most people here, I can't stand a nice car without a sunroof, I'm just gonna tell them, "it's a lexus, what you expect, sunroof is included in the standard package", but i'm sure they aren't dumb either that they'll believe me, but whatever.
Old 06-23-07, 10:33 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by lexboi250
and his friend got into an accident where 2 out of the 3 cars rolled over, people the one with a sunroof died and people in the one without a sunroof survived.
EVerytime I hear rollover, it's associated with suvs.
Were they driving suvs and avoiding something or making sudden lane changes?

With cars, how do you roll over if you're not driving fast, off a shoulder, off a cliff, make a 90 deg at 80 mph,...???
Old 06-23-07, 11:08 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are getting a Lexus, GL finding one without sunroof..
Old 06-26-07, 06:54 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not a fan of sunroofs. They add cost, complexity, lessen roof and body rigidity regardless of how strong the A, B, and C-pilars are, cut out from one to one-and-a-half inches of headroom in the average vehicle, are a potential source of leaks, squeaks, and rattles, can jam open or closed, and, worst of all, can fail just as that nice big summer thunderstorm is approaching with two or three inches of rain. Years ago automakers used to give you an emergency hand crank, shaped like an Alan wrench, to manually crank it closed if the electric motor failed, but that practice has gone by the wayside, perhaps from cost-cutting.

My advice? Save your money and buy a conventional roof.
+100

I actually hate sunroofs. I had one in my Passat and used it a couple of times in 8 years. Waste of money but a lot of times they are forced on you. I will go out of my way and not buy a car just b/c it has a sunroof.

My passat had 2 power window motors stop working in the span of 6 months. I was sure my sunroof would stop working and I'd get stuck with another expensive service.

1) waste of moeny (for me I don't use sunroofs). I have a vert as a second car. Once used to a vert (open air) I will never think a dinky sunroof is cool/fun etc but that just me.

2) extra moving parts mean another thing that can break/leak etc..

3) less headroom

4) extra weight for a feature I don't need or want. this may be trivial but the fact is the weight is not wanted (by me)

thats why I don't like them. I'm not sure about the safety. But I don't think its that much more dangerous with a sunroof. I suppose a rock (?) can fall thru your sunroof but that's a rare thing.

NOTE: I drive a vert so pretty much I am giving up safety for that. Its not something I want to think about but you have to live and not worry about the last 1000% safety. If you want safety driving a car is about the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis.
Old 06-26-07, 07:04 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its too bad a sunroof is standard on many vehicles

Never liked them. Never use them. Always unhappy that they seem standard on almost all cars.

That being said, I've never seen them involved in an ejection in an accident (and I've seen thousands of accident victims). Of course, you don't see ejections with people wearing seatbelts anyway.