Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I did not know the SL 65's starting price was $187, 775

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 11:05 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
Here's one of my friends running a SL65 with is Supra on pump gas, they were at a gas station he asked the guy to run and guy looked at him like he was crazy he finally give in. When it was over he was like wow he didn't know a Toyota can be that fast. The driver was really cool he exchanged numbers with my friend and they plan to run again.

RUN #1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvCuvAvKoxI

RUN#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ckw...elated&search=
YouTube comments should be turned off. I tried to read some of those comments and they obviously don't realize how modified Supras can be and how heavy any hard-top convertible is. I don't know the specs on your friend's Supra but I'm sure it could hold it's own against the V12TT.
Old 06-25-07, 11:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... they're only marginally quicker than the SL55 and SL600 (which are both in the 120-130 range and both about as fast as each other, by the way) until you reach speeds that are well outside of the realm of legal driving anyway.

The resale value on them is terrible... which makes for great used car buys. You can get one that's maybe 2-3 years old and only 20-30k miles for literally half what was originally paid for it!

Granted... that's still as expensive as a brand new Corvette Z06 or Dodge Viper but...

I expect resale will go down further yet when the new SL comes out here shortly.
Old 06-25-07, 11:28 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yeah... they're only marginally quicker than the SL55 and SL600 (which are both in the 120-130 range and both about as fast as each other, by the way) until you reach speeds that are well outside of the realm of legal driving anyway.

The resale value on them is terrible... which makes for great used car buys. You can get one that's maybe 2-3 years old and only 20-30k miles for literally half what was originally paid for it!

Granted... that's still as expensive as a brand new Corvette Z06 or Dodge Viper but...

I expect resale will go down further yet when the new SL comes out here shortly.
If I had some wealth I'd pick up one. Except I'd hate the bills that come with servicing a V12 twin turbo, hard top, electronic filled machine.
I'm not knocking on the SL's I find them beautiful but I want reliable as well as fast and beautiful. I'm one of those guys that if they're gonna buy something and have decided what I was gonna buy it would be the highest tier. Fully optioned. So if I was buying an SL and had the choice between a SL500, SL55 and SL65 I would want the SL65 even if it was horribly more expensive. I want to be able to hear a V12 screaming.

I have a spending problem. I'll be going into a dealership looking at an IS-F and they'll end up selling me an LF-A.
Old 06-25-07, 11:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The SL65 will be as cheap and rare on the used car market, in a few years, as the famed BMW 850i v12.
Old 06-25-07, 11:41 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm not knocking on the SL's I find them beautiful but I want reliable as well as fast and beautiful. I'm one of those guys that if they're gonna buy something and have decided what I was gonna buy it would be the highest tier. Fully optioned. So if I was buying an SL and had the choice between a SL500, SL55 and SL65 I would want the SL65 even if it was horribly more expensive. I want to be able to hear a V12 screaming.
Agreed. I'll take that 700 lb. ft. of muscle over most.
Old 06-25-07, 11:42 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
That's not the point, at least for me . Why get the SL65 & pay $60k+ more, when a SL55 is just very marginally slower & a more well balanced car that feels more agile. Sure you can have 3 or 4 other cars too, but the SL55 (or even the SL600) is a better, more sensible buy. Even some of the filthy rich spend their money wisely ...
Because people buying the SL65 want the fastest Mercedes they can afford so they can boast the stats at their country club (and that 'marginally' slower SL55 drops them down a peg which they don't want). And most of the people driving them don't really care about the agility of that big ol' Mercedes. They didn't buy it for it's agility, but for it's cache, exclusivity and raw speed.

Again, these rich folks have their 911s, Lambos and Ferrarris for their handling thrills, so there's no need to expect their 2+ tons of Mercedes to be agile.

Again, when you have that kind of money, your purchasing decisions are a little different.

And yes, the mega-rich make "sensible" purchase decisions...but what's considered sensible is all a matter of perspective. Sure, they could save money on the SL65 and just get the SL55, but they could just as easily buy a $120,000 Mercedes as well and save even more money, and get damn-near as much speed and luxury.

Saving money becomes VERY relative when you jump into the $200,000 car market.

Last edited by KevinGS; 06-25-07 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 11:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

That's why Lindsay Lohan drives SL65's & some multimillionares/billionaires still drives a ford or a chevy ...
Old 06-25-07, 11:49 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
That's why Lindsay Lohan drives SL65's & some multimillionares/billionaires still drives a ford or a chevy ...
LOL Good point!
Old 06-25-07, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The SL65 will be as cheap and rare on the used car market, in a few years, as the famed BMW 850i v12.
You're right, DASH...the way Lohan goes through them, they WILL be rare.
Old 06-25-07, 12:40 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're right, DASH...the way Lohan goes through them, they WILL be rare.
Is she on the market? I will take her for a dollar
Old 06-25-07, 01:41 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

YouTube comments should be turned off. I tried to read some of those comments and they obviously don't realize how modified Supras can be and how heavy any hard-top convertible is. I don't know the specs on your friend's Supra but I'm sure it could hold it's own against the V12TT.
Yea some of those comments had me laughing, believe it or not a lot of people just don't know but mathematically they were around the same power actually the supra had less that night I think. So a Twin Turbo V12 versus a Single Turbo V12 should have the TTV12 win by logic lol. Engine wise the Supra was half the car the SL65 is. The Supra weighs about 3100 lbs so that might have been a factor. A lot of people are just ignorant I think.
Old 06-26-07, 06:18 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Im with Henry, why not shell out more money and get a lambo
Uh, yup. Plus it gets scary at the end of the straight when you actually have to turn the thing. Oodles and oodles of torque has its place, but spinning your wheels in 3rd gear can get plenty dangerous.

Have a bunch of friends with SL55s and SL65s. Nice car, but I would clearly choose elsewhere for the money. The only real advantage I can see to the SLs is the fact that they can be daily drivers (no small advantage there.)
Old 06-26-07, 09:13 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Uh, yup. Plus it gets scary at the end of the straight when you actually have to turn the thing. Oodles and oodles of torque has its place, but spinning your wheels in 3rd gear can get plenty dangerous.

Have a bunch of friends with SL55s and SL65s. Nice car, but I would clearly choose elsewhere for the money. The only real advantage I can see to the SLs is the fact that they can be daily drivers (no small advantage there.)
I've heard Lambo's make pretty good DDs too.
Old 06-26-07, 11:07 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I've heard Lambo's make pretty good DDs too.
Actually, no. But you don't want to get me started ranting and raving about trying to use an exotic as your DD.

The Lexus works just great for that. No hassle, just works, nice and luxurious, dependable, no one gawking at it, etc.
Old 06-26-07, 01:15 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

saw a silver one at a dealershp today....sitting right next to a noble m400. the m400 50k less (100k) and looked soooooo much more exotic

Quick Reply: I did not know the SL 65's starting price was $187, 775