Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bmw Ultimate Drive Part2 Nyc

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just came back from there, drove three cars, the 550, 750, and 335. There wasn't a lot of people like on the Lexus event, but they only had one of each model, so the wait was long, and then some idiot took the 750 and took off for 45 minutes. And then when it was my turn to drive the 750, i did follow their route, so when I came back they told me I couldn't drive anymore, and took away my badge. Luckily, I only wanted to drive the 335 after the 750, so I just left the event, and then after a friend of mine drove the 335, I waited for him at a nearby gas station, and we swapped cars over there, so I got to drive it anyway. The 335 was the only car that I actually was impressed with, the engine is very very impressive, amazing flat torque, whereas the 550 and 750 run out of breath after 40-50mph. Unfortunately all cars had active streering, a feature I'm not very fond of. And of course, interiors were no match for Lexus, and controls were rather awkward, especially in the 750. All in all, I was glad to get back into my LS, and was amazed how comfortable and simple my car is
Old 06-24-07, 12:50 PM
genearch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 335 was the only car that I actually was impressed with, the engine is very very impressive, amazing flat torque, whereas the 550 and 750 run out of breath after 40-50mph.

Humm... IMHO, the 550 only gets better from 50mph. Not sure what you were given, I'm sure Doug_999 will concur.
Old 06-24-07, 01:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
Humm... IMHO, the 550 only gets better from 50mph. Not sure what you were given, I'm sure Doug_999 will concur.
I don't know, the one I drove didn't have much ***** left after 50mph. In fact, we came to the event early, and got into the 550 right away, without even knowing it was a 550. I was the first ones to drive it, and while I was driving it, we were pretty sure it was a 530, and I was much surprised to see the 550 badge after I got out. And then, the 750, wow, it was a complete joke after 50. I think my 13 year LS400 could give it a run for the money on the highway. Both 550 and 750 felt like they have a very agressive first gear, and after that they are done. The same case is with my brothers C320, and to a certain degree with my parents Grand Cherokee (hemi). My GS has a much more linear acceleration, and while it doesn't take off like 550 or even 750, on the highway if feels more powerful. The one thing I appreciated in the 550 though is the tranny, the shifts are amazing fast, although it makes the car a bit jerkey, but hey, its a drivers car after all.

Did I mention the 335 we drove overheated?
Old 06-24-07, 01:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Just came back from there, drove three cars, the 550, 750, and 335. There wasn't a lot of people like on the Lexus event, but they only had one of each model, so the wait was long, and then some idiot took the 750 and took off for 45 minutes. And then when it was my turn to drive the 750, i did follow their route, so when I came back they told me I couldn't drive anymore, and took away my badge. Luckily, I only wanted to drive the 335 after the 750, so I just left the event, and then after a friend of mine drove the 335, I waited for him at a nearby gas station, and we swapped cars over there, so I got to drive it anyway. The 335 was the only car that I actually was impressed with, the engine is very very impressive, amazing flat torque, whereas the 550 and 750 run out of breath after 40-50mph. Unfortunately all cars had active streering, a feature I'm not very fond of. And of course, interiors were no match for Lexus, and controls were rather awkward, especially in the 750. All in all, I was glad to get back into my LS, and was amazed how comfortable and simple my car is
lol.. I just got back also for the second time.. Och did you do the Ultimate Drive in which you get behind the wheel of the X5 4.8, Lexus Gx470, Mercedes ML500, Volvo Xc90(which had a suspension crack and was not available)? After you drive those vehicles, a professional driver takes you in the x5 4.8 with traction control off for a spirited drive around the track. The x5 was just amazing.. No body roll, flat out speed, heck it felt like a 5 series sport.. The Lexus Gx470 was not safe at all, and had to be driven slowly around the track.. Your thoughts?
Old 06-24-07, 01:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
lol.. I just got back also for the second time.. Och did you do the Ultimate Drive in which you get behind the wheel of the X5 4.8, Lexus Gx470, Mercedes ML500, Volvo Xc90(which had a suspension crack and was not available)? After you drive those vehicles, a professional driver takes you in the x5 4.8 with traction control off for a spirited drive around the track. The x5 was just amazing.. No body roll, flat out speed, heck it felt like a 5 series sport.. The Lexus Gx470 was not safe at all, and had to be driven slowly around the track.. Your thoughts?
No man, I didn't go for that, I got there before 9am, and these ***** trew me out around noon for taking a 750 out of the designated route. I didnt care much, because I was only going to drive the 335 after that, which I got to anyways, because a friend of mine switched with me as I waited for him at a gas station. The funny thing, they seen him do that, and after he returned it, they told him to leave immediately, so he just laughed at them, because we were leaving anyways.

In any case, there was another booth where people went to take these X5's on a spirited course, but we weren't allowed there until after 12 or 1pm, and we didn't have the time to wait anyway. They explained to us that before 12pm it was their "student drivers" taking these X5's on a spirited course, which basically consisted of a bunch of idiots accelerating like mad, braking to an almost full stop before the turn, and amuzing everyone by knocking down a bunch of cones. They should've put the 335 on that course instead of X5.
Old 06-24-07, 02:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some pics I took today. My camera died on me so this is it lol

Old 06-24-07, 02:10 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

last set

Old 06-24-07, 02:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
No man, I didn't go for that, I got there before 9am, and these ***** trew me out around noon for taking a 750 out of the designated route. I didnt care much, because I was only going to drive the 335 after that, which I got to anyways, because a friend of mine switched with me as I waited for him at a gas station. The funny thing, they seen him do that, and after he returned it, they told him to leave immediately, so he just laughed at them, because we were leaving anyways.

In any case, there was another booth where people went to take these X5's on a spirited course, but we weren't allowed there until after 12 or 1pm, and we didn't have the time to wait anyway. They explained to us that before 12pm it was their "student drivers" taking these X5's on a spirited course, which basically consisted of a bunch of idiots accelerating like mad, braking to an almost full stop before the turn, and amuzing everyone by knocking down a bunch of cones. They should've put the 335 on that course instead of X5.
Sorry to hear about your situation.. Ohhh that spirited drive was not acceleration and braking.. After you drive the X5 around the course like mad, these folks would go flat out around the course with traction control off with you in the vehicle.. My driver is a pro rally driver from Cali, and he flung that x5 around the course like a rally car This vehicle would hug the corners like you won't believe at a high rate of speed, and power out of those corners like a banshee!!
Old 06-24-07, 02:24 PM
genearch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So in other words, you showed up to abuse the "****" cars and somehow validate your ownership in the LS400.

I thought Taste of Lexus was full of jerks, it looks like no brand is immune..
Old 06-24-07, 02:38 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your situation.. Ohhh that spirited drive was not acceleration and braking.. After you drive the X5 around the course like mad, these folks would go flat out around the course with traction control off with you in the vehicle.. My driver is a pro rally driver from Cali, and he flung that x5 around the course like a rally car This vehicle would hug the corners like you won't believe at a high rate of speed, and power out of those corners like a banshee!!
Went to an event just like this, except it featured the X3. And seeing as how the X3 is lighter and nimbler, it was even better around the auto-x track set up. I was at how the instructors tossed those things around, and how easy they made it seem.
Old 06-24-07, 02:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
So in other words, you showed up to abuse the "****" cars and somehow validate your ownership in the LS400.

I thought Taste of Lexus was full of jerks, it looks like no brand is immune..
Relax dude, I didn't come there to abuse the "**** cars" or somehow validae my ownership of the LS400, I came there to have fun, just like last year when I came to the Lexus event. I guess you could say that I was a jerk for taking a 7 series out of the route, and for driving the 335 when I was banned from the event, but hey, do you always obey the rules? If you were banned from the event but had the opportunity to drive the 335 anyway, would you pass it?

By the way, the friend I was with, was seriously considering leasing a 335, and came along with me to test drive it and make up his decision. Now he's leaning towards g37, seeing that 335 seems to have overheating problems.
Old 06-24-07, 03:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, when I was there, these X5's were being driving by a bunch of idiots, I swear, all of them would accelerate like mad, and then come to a full stop before the turn, and then proceed slowly. I only saw like 2 or 3 people that didn't come to a dead stop before the turn, but slowed down and went around the turn reasonably fast. I still dont really understand why X5 was chosen for the spirited driving course, afterall it's still an SUV.

By the way did these X5's have active steering? I think its a terrible feature that completely kills steering feedback, which is currently pretty much the only prowess that BMW has.
Old 06-24-07, 04:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

i don't have a vid of my run in the X5 since I never charged my digicam. But, here is a vid of the X5 4.8 in action at the Ultimate drive event held Denver to give you an idea of how this vehicle handles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYjbxX85Trc
Old 06-24-07, 06:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

i don't have a vid of my run in the X5 since I never charged my digicam. But, here is a vid of the X5 4.8 in action at the Ultimate drive event held Denver to give you an idea of how this vehicle handles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYjbxX85Trc
Looks very impressive for an SUV, but still, whats the point? I'd rather have less sportiness and more utility in my SUV.
Old 06-24-07, 10:49 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you had a blast Sean!!!

Sounds like a 335 is in your near future!

Couldn't make it myself. Wifey and me are in Vegas. Couldn't come drive the rides so I drowned my sorrows in cheap beer while lounging in the pool surrounded by scantily clad females.

Quick Reply: Bmw Ultimate Drive Part2 Nyc