Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think Luxury Sports Sedans should have wooden steering wheels?
Yes - I prefer Luxury Sports Sedans with wooden steering wheels.
53.97%
No - I think Luxury Sports Sedans should not have wooden steering wheels.
46.03%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Wood Steering Wheel on a Luxury Sport Sedan - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 09:41 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot STAND wood inside any car but a RR or Bentley. I hate it in my GS and I hate it in any other car that doesn't have a Flying Lady or a B with wings on the hood.

Old 06-24-07, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
I cannot STAND wood inside any car but a RR or Bentley. I hate it in my GS and I hate it in any other car that doesn't have a Flying Lady or a B with wings on the hood.

Come on.....not even on a Jaguar? A Jag wouldn't be a JAG without wood and leather. It is the company's trademark. That is why the new XK and XKR, with their factory carbon-fiber trim options instead of wood, are causing so much consternation among Jag purists.
Old 06-24-07, 02:36 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's okay in a Luxury sedan, but not when the word "sport" is thrown in.

All leather is fine. If its really a sports car, maybe a non-slip suede-like material should be available. The 330i ZHP Alcantara steering wheel comes to mind.
Old 06-24-07, 03:28 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

no, not in a real sport sedan.
Old 06-24-07, 04:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on.....not even on a Jaguar? A Jag wouldn't be a JAG without wood and leather. It is the company's trademark. That is why the new XK and XKR, with their factory carbon-fiber trim options instead of wood, are causing so much consternation among Jag purists.
Doesn't matter... Wood is something that people crave for the supposed "oppulance." Other than that, it's stupid. It may be for good for some... But, to me, wood screams tackiness...

Plus, I'm not a fan of Jaguars either, so to me... I could care less what they have on the inside as I'll never be driving one.
Old 06-24-07, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK.....so you don't like Jaguars. Fine....that's your perogative. I don't think much of their overall assembly quality myself, but it still doesn't change the fact that Connally Leather and wood are classic Jaguar trademarks.
Old 06-24-07, 05:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
no, not in a real sport sedan.
What is a real sport sedan? I know what the OP is trying to do here, same with the "Lexus on badges" thread.

What is a real sports sedan then?

B/C if it DOES NOT have a manual, you DO NOT drive a "REAL" sports sedan.

Old 06-24-07, 05:29 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What is a real sport sedan? I know what the OP is trying to do here, same with the "Lexus on badges" thread.

What is a real sports sedan then?

not sure what you mean by the last comment? or if that was directed at someone (else?)

anyway,
the definition of what a sports car or sports sedan are, is not at all concrete.
its usually subjective. give me a sedan and its setup and ill make the call but thats my opinion. others may differ.

in general though, i dont think sports sedans and wood steering wheels go together. from a practicality standpoint i just dont see it but im sure there are ways it can get done.
Old 06-24-07, 05:43 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sticking to the topic at hand, i do not believe luxury sport sedans should come eqipped with wood steering wheels. True auto enthusiasts want the most grip they can get from the steering wheel in order to have complete control of the vehicle. Those who are old enough can recall the old Nardi steering wheels of the 70's & 80's.. Even with leather gloves, you will not have the same grip as a leather wrapped steering wheel.. Leather on leather is the way to go for ultimate grip. LOL, I almost lost control of an ML500 Benz today that was equipped with a wood steering wheel. Wood is horrible for spirited driving imo.
Ask and you shall recieve
Here are true luxury sport sedans in action.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B2DxRlcCwEE
Old 06-24-07, 06:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It all depends how you define a sports sedan too. If you stick a wood steering wheel into a 3 series, its gonna look out of place. But then, in a GS it look perfect.

However, my idea of a true sports sedan = LS460L with twin turbo viper engine swap
Old 06-24-07, 06:49 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There goes every Lexus but the IS250 RWD. . Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 06-24-07, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
There goes every Lexus but the IS250 RWD. . Makes perfect sense to me.
Lexus never advertised or advertises true all out sport sedans. They NEVER have. They offer sporty and sports sedans with luxury in the IS and GS. NEVER have they said they were the say all/be all of sports sedans. IMO, BMW will probably always be the sportiest sedan(s) until the Porsche comes.

The 1IS was as sporting and involving as it got for Lexus.

Onto the IS-F, well it will be auto only.

And well, my comment might be immature b/c BMW believes in SMG, all AMG cars are autos etc etc..

I guess I have to re-phrase and say a manual would make the purest sports sedan. You CAN have an auto and be a sports sedan too.

It just is funny to me how Lexus is so successful and has CLEARLY found its mark and niche and people will find ways to pick at it any chance they get.

Old 06-24-07, 11:27 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Excuse me? What exactly are you insinuating??
Old 06-24-07, 11:39 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Lexus never advertised or advertises true all out sport sedans. They NEVER have. They offer sporty and sports sedans with luxury in the IS and GS. NEVER have they said they were the say all/be all of sports sedans.

Huh? Are you trying to fool the masses into believing that Lexus hasn't been promoting the GS & IS sedans as sport sedans? Because if you are, you're not doing a very good job.

From Lexus.com:

GS: Performance Luxury Sedan
IS: Sport Luxury Sedan

Performance = sport
Sport = sport

Whether Lexus said they were the "say all/be all of sports sedans" is not really the point of this thread (as if a Luxury carmaker would ever even use such immature and ridiculous terms to describe their products anyway ).
Old 06-25-07, 01:43 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

It just is funny to me how Lexus is so successful and has CLEARLY found its mark and niche and people will find ways to pick at it any chance they get.
This may be true and all, but the sooner you realize that even Lexus vehicles aren't perfect, the better off you'll be.

Quick Reply: Wood Steering Wheel on a Luxury Sport Sedan - Yay or Nay?