Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think Luxury Sports Sedans should have wooden steering wheels?
Yes - I prefer Luxury Sports Sedans with wooden steering wheels.
53.97%
No - I think Luxury Sports Sedans should not have wooden steering wheels.
46.03%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Wood Steering Wheel on a Luxury Sport Sedan - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 03:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

1SICKLEX is correct that Lexus generally didn't get to where it is today by building BMW clones. Though the IS competes with the 3-series to some extent, the 3-series easily trumps it in sales. In fact, if anything, today's Lexus vehicles are TOO much like BMW's...witness the 7-series style trunk lid on the new LS460 and the disappointing drop in ride quality on the new ES350. Even Lexus is starting to worship at the altar of steering response when the majority of its customers probably don't want that type of car.
Old 06-25-07, 07:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I really don't care if they have a wood steering wheel on pseudo-sports cars or not I won't want one on a corvette, ferrari or Porsche etc. though.
I do think they should give you an option to choose between wood or all-leather steering wheel though (like the E-class).
Old 06-25-07, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, while we argue back and forth over what materials are appropriate for a sport-sedan wheel, don't forget that no matter what materials the factory uses for the stock wheel, those of you who want leather (or prefer leather over wood, vinyl, or other materials) can go to almost any good auto parts store, buy a leather steering wheel cover, and stitch it on yourself. I've done it myself, several times, back in the 70's and early 80's when a lot of cars still came with hard, skinny, uncomfortable plastic steering wheels. It's generally not difficult, except that tucking the stitching overlap in securely and unobtrusively can be a little tricky.
Old 06-25-07, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Huh? Are you trying to fool the masses into believing that Lexus hasn't been promoting the GS & IS sedans as sport sedans? Because if you are, you're not doing a very good job.

From Lexus.com:

GS: Performance Luxury Sedan
IS: Sport Luxury Sedan

Performance = sport
Sport = sport

Whether Lexus said they were the "say all/be all of sports sedans" is not really the point of this thread (as if a Luxury carmaker would ever even use such immature and ridiculous terms to describe their products anyway ).
You missed the point. Never said Lexus didn't say they are sports sedans. They ARE sports sedans. They are NOT all out sport car/sedan types, thus a wood wheel is not totally out of place.

As for that last comment, BMW, Audi etc have posted some PRETTY blatant advertisements chastising the competition or flat out trying to say "We are superior, there is no competition".

For GOODNESS SAKES, look at BMW's tagline "the ULTIMATE driving machine"

Yeah, they don't say anything like that.

Old 06-25-07, 07:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ramon
This may be true and all, but the sooner you realize that even Lexus vehicles aren't perfect, the better off you'll be.
I have never nor will ever say they are perfect. I am going to state my opinions on a wood wheel pissing match by people who "think" its not good when the MARKET dictates they love it.

Lexus management again clearly knows what people want.

Don't worry though, if Lexus did not offer a wood wheel, this thread would be "should a true luxury marque offer a wood wheel"

/Exit Thread for me,

Old 06-25-07, 08:17 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to say the words specifically sick, it's all in your actions. You seem to get almost offended whenever someone has some criticism for a Lexus vehicle.
Old 06-25-07, 09:27 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, while we argue back and forth over what materials are appropriate for a sport-sedan wheel, don't forget that no matter what materials the factory uses for the stock wheel, those of you who want leather (or prefer leather over wood, vinyl, or other materials) can go to almost any good auto parts store, buy a leather steering wheel cover, and stitch it on yourself. I've done it myself, several times, back in the 70's and early 80's when a lot of cars still came with hard, skinny, uncomfortable plastic steering wheels. It's generally not difficult, except that tucking the stitching overlap in securely and unobtrusively can be a little tricky.

But should a customer paying 40k+ for a Luxury Sport Sedan really have to do that? I know a lot of members here like to modify their cars and that's fine. I personally like to keep my cars stock as much as possible. But regardless of whether or not you like to change certain aspects of a car's appearance/performance, the luxury-buying customer should have as many options available to them as possible.

A choice of steering wheels IMO is something the 40k+ crowd should have the option to select, whether it be wood, vinyl, leather, heated, etc. Overall, this seems to be a divided issue among most buyers in this segment and I personally would like to see more wheel options available from all the brands.

Last edited by LetMeShowU; 06-25-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 09:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Heated wood steering wheels are available for the S-class, Jaguar XJ & the LS460/600hL. It's been reported that the wood steering wheel in the LS heats up quickly & uniformly too.
Old 06-25-07, 09:59 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Heated wood steering wheels are available for the S-class, Jaguar XJ & the LS460/600hL. It's been reported that the wood steering wheel in the LS heats up quickly & uniformly too.
Really? I was unaware of that. To me, it wouldn't seem as if the wood would be able to transfer heat well enough as some other materials might (leather, vinyl, etc). Anyway, I would still like to see more options available. Regardless of anything, the feel of wood is quite different from anything else and some people simply don't like it. Does it look good? of course. But does it feel as good as some other wheels? that's subjective.
Old 06-25-07, 10:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I think wood steering wheels (as with other wood trims in cars) are a thin layer of real wood veneer on top , it's not a whole piece of wood, so I don't think transfer of heat is a significant problem.
Old 06-25-07, 11:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

But should a customer paying 40k+ for a Luxury Sport Sedan really have to do that? I know a lot of members here like to modify their cars and that's fine. I personally like to keep my cars stock as much as possible. But regardless of whether or not you like to change certain aspects of a car's appearance/performance, the luxury-buying customer should have as many options available to them as possible.

A choice of steering wheels IMO is something the 40k+ crowd should have the option to select, whether it be wood, vinyl, leather, heated, etc. Overall, this seems to be a divided issue among most buyers in this segment and I personally would like to see more wheel options available from all the brands.
Well said Good to see folks who can think outside of the box. Folks who spend 40k plus on a car should have such options as wood, leather, suede steering wheel available for one to choose imo.
Old 06-25-07, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Some vehicles DO give you a choice. The Lexus ES, Subaru Foresters and Outbacks, and some Cadillacs have a choice of regular, leather, or wood and leather wheels depending on trim lines and specific models....and I'm sure there are other vehicles as well; I just can't remember them all at once.

There are, with some vehicles and trim lines, also dealer-installed wood packages for both dash and steering wheels.
Old 06-25-07, 01:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wood looks great but I wish my GS had leather. You can't grip it well for performance manuvering. I don't have the heart to cover it, though.
Old 06-25-07, 03:50 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOT on sport sedans. No thanks.
Old 06-25-07, 05:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

I don't like it on sport sedans or sports cars, but do on pretty much anything else. It's fantastic in our RX, but I would be PISSED if my 3-series had it. Same with an IS. It's going to see some spirited driving, the wheel had better be all leather. Everything else in the Lexus lineup is more tilted towards the luxury side, so wood is the appropriate choice.

Now the shift **** is another story--I LOVE the wood **** in both the RX AND the 3 (manual, of course). I can't see wanting anything else in a street-driven car. Track cars should have leather or even metal, but on the street, wood feels fantastic and doesn't detract from even the most spirited "normal" driving.

Quick Reply: Wood Steering Wheel on a Luxury Sport Sedan - Yay or Nay?