Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looks like my IS300 is totaled

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 06:31 PM
lex_diablo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like my IS300 is totaled

The three cars I have in the running next are the 2008 tC, the 2007 GTI and the 2007 WRX. Price wise the tC is perfect. It'd be a base model, manual tC with the Nav system. The GTI and WRX would also be base. I know these are all different cars but if anyone in here has gone from an IS300 to these, or owns any of these, please let me know your opinions. Thanks.
Old 06-24-07, 06:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I think it wont be easy for you to downgrade from an IS300 to any of these, but if you absolutely have to, go with the WRX.
Old 06-24-07, 07:40 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I think it wont be easy for you to downgrade from an IS300 to any of these, but if you absolutely have to, go with the WRX.
+1 With those choices, the tC would be my last.
Old 06-24-07, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

GTI has the nicest interior of the 3 and the 2.0T is a nice engine.

If you can swing DSG, it's amazing.
Old 06-24-07, 07:47 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dunno your situation since you didnt post any details but if you can afford a brand new GTI or WRX, you can probably afford a used IS300...
Old 06-24-07, 08:58 PM
lex_diablo
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I can get a used IS300 but I want to get something new. I know the tC is basically an econobox but I'm not sure if I'll have the cash to put into the WRX. I'm also considering the Audi A3 but those are a bit out of my price range. It looks like the GTI might be my best bet, maybe the WRX.
Old 06-24-07, 11:17 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know how much of a downgrade a WRX is from an IS300. The WRX is butt ugly and the interior is garbage but it seems like it would be more engaging to drive than the relatively slow IS
Old 06-24-07, 11:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

GTI is my pick out of those 3.
Old 06-25-07, 12:32 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

USED IS300 FTW.

I miss my IS300 every day and I stepped up to a car I LOVE that cost $20,000 MORE than the IS...... and STILL miss the IS300.
Old 06-25-07, 03:51 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the GTI also
Old 06-25-07, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_diablo
Yeah, I can get a used IS300 but I want to get something new. I know the tC is basically an econobox but I'm not sure if I'll have the cash to put into the WRX. I'm also considering the Audi A3 but those are a bit out of my price range. It looks like the GTI might be my best bet, maybe the WRX.

I totally agree with your logic. In most cases, a brand-new car is best, even if you have to, for the same amount of money, get a smaller or cheaper new model as opposed to a larger or more expensive used one.

One word of caution, though. Unless, as bitkahuna points out, you opt for the superb VW-Audi DSG transmission, which is a pleasure to use, I would avoid the GTI. VW products, with few exceptions, tend to be well-below-average in reliability, especially as they age. The tC and WRX are both fine choices....the AWD WRX, obviously, the better one for inclement weather and slippery roads. I see you are in CA. Whether a WRX would be practical or not depends on what part of the state you live in or drive in....sunny, sub-tropical SoCal, or in the Northern or mountainous parts of the state where you get snow. And, unlike most other Subarus, the WRX and STi come with stock high-performance dry-weather tires that are not good on slippery roads....so you may want to consider a tire change if you drive on sick roads.
Old 06-25-07, 08:28 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tC all the way !!

I have a 2005 as my daily driver and I love how solid it feels, very reliable as it has the proven Camry 4 cyl....turbochargers and superchargers are available if you want to play with it. Best bang for the buck and good interior.

WRX although faster feels cheaper. Dunno about the A3 but hatch looks great! I bet it is pricey???

tC man!
Old 06-25-07, 10:25 AM
lex_diablo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I totally agree with your logic. In most cases, a brand-new car is best, even if you have to, for the same amount of money, get a smaller or cheaper new model as opposed to a larger or more expensive used one.

One word of caution, though. Unless, as bitkahuna points out, you opt for the superb VW-Audi DSG transmission, which is a pleasure to use, I would avoid the GTI. VW products, with few exceptions, tend to be well-below-average in reliability, especially as they age. The tC and WRX are both fine choices....the AWD WRX, obviously, the better one for inclement weather and slippery roads. I see you are in CA. Whether a WRX would be practical or not depends on what part of the state you live in or drive in....sunny, sub-tropical SoCal, or in the Northern or mountainous parts of the state where you get snow. And, unlike most other Subarus, the WRX and STi come with stock high-performance dry-weather tires that are not good on slippery roads....so you may want to consider a tire change if you drive on sick roads.
Yeah, it'd be the manual GTI so I guess that's a no go. I live in So Cal, right around San Diego and the OC so bad weather is not a problem at all. The tC is good for the money.

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
I have a 2005 as my daily driver and I love how solid it feels, very reliable as it has the proven Camry 4 cyl....turbochargers and superchargers are available if you want to play with it. Best bang for the buck and good interior.

WRX although faster feels cheaper. Dunno about the A3 but hatch looks great! I bet it is pricey???

tC man!

Yeah, the base A3 hatch is like $26,XXX. The WRX did feel cheap and I don't really like the look of the stock WRX but I'd be willing to put some money into it for mods, but not anytime soon. Hopefully the insurance will say that my IS doesn't have any real damage as it looked like it had and that it can be fixed but according to the guy at the salvage lot and the motor officer, my car was done. We'll see.
Old 06-25-07, 10:25 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a used s2k.
Old 06-25-07, 10:32 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

My uncle owns a WRX. It's quite a machine. I'd opt for one of those.

Quick Reply: Looks like my IS300 is totaled