Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota slows development process to preserve reputation

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota slows development process to preserve reputation

| Todays News |
BACK TO: AW Home | Todays News
Printer Friendly >> E-mail to a Friend >>

Quality Concerns
Toyota slows delevopment process to preserve reputation

By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 06/25/07, 8:50 am et

PHOENIX -- Worried about slipping quality, Toyota is slowing down its product development.

Toyota Motor Corp. will build more prototype vehicles, hire more engineers and spend more money in an effort to ensure that quality doesn't slip. The company also will take more time between project approval and production of the first salable vehicle.

For several years, Toyota has taken pride in reducing vehicle development time and adopting time-saving innovations such as virtual prototypes. But those measures have lowered the quality of Toyota vehicles, engineers and executives acknowledge.

"We were missing our internal targets," said Bob Carter, Toyota Division general manager. "We need to push that quality envelope."

The new procedures won't delay the launch of any new or redesigned products. Executives say they will start vehicle programs a few months earlier. All Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles will be subject to the new procedures.

In 2005, Toyota's vehicle recalls hit an all-time high. Recent launches of the Toyota Avalon, Camry and Tundra have suffered minor mechanical problems. And large-scale problems - such as millions of potentially faulty truck ball joints and sludged engines - have Toyota executives worried. As a result, speed to market is now taking a back seat to quality.

The initiative, called Customer First, is the vision of Toyota Motor President Katsuaki Watanabe. Last August, he gave Toyota's top engineers an ultimatum to improve vehicle quality by creating a better product development process.

Any idea to improve quality was open to discussion. Long-denied requests for more time, money and personnel were approved. The first vehicle to be affected was the 2008 Toyota Highlander, which arrives in showrooms in August.

Yukihiro Okane, the executive chief engineer for the Camry platform, which spawns the Highlander and Avalon, says changing the old process was difficult but necessary.

"Everyone felt like we were lacking in resources," Okane said at the press preview for the 2008 Highlander. "Vehicles were becoming more complex, and we needed to revamp the engineering and manufacturing process to address this complexity."

But Okane acknowledges that Customer First is "a costly, time-consuming process that ran counter to an established agenda of cutting costs, manpower and development time."

Faster process

Despite the increased attention to detail, the redesigned Highlander went from design freeze to Job 1 in 17 months, compared with 24 months for the previous-generation Highlander.

More engineers were assigned to the new Highlander, which sped up the process.

But Okane says the 17-month period was longer than he was originally expected to take for development.

Toyota says the new process will add a few months to the typical development time of a new or redesigned vehicle. Product development times vary depending on the complexity of the model and platform involved.

Derivatives of existing platforms, such as the Scion tC derived from the European Toyota Avensis platform, took just 13 months from design freeze to Job 1.

Complex vehicles with a new platform and powertrain can take 30 months or more for the same process.

Under the new process, Okane says, getting the original engineering blueprints right is a crucial, though seemingly obvious, step.

Although the computerized blueprints can be adjusted, it is expensive and time-consuming. Okane says it is better to spend more time the first time around.

"Even a tiny fault or misdrawing might make a problem in prototyping or manufacturing or parts testing, and we would have to rewrite the blueprint again," Okane says. "Too many times, blueprints were used as trial and error, making it difficult to resolve issues."

More mules

Mike O'Brien, a veteran Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. product planner, expects more emphasis on the evaluation phase of product development.

That means Toyota will build more early prototypes, using mules to evaluate road feel and validate the locations of switches and controls.

If an engineering flaw or conflict is discovered in an early prototype, it can be modified before final tooling is ordered, O'Brien says.

Don Esmond, Toyota Motor Sales' senior vice president of automotive operations, says Toyota was worried about losing its leadership position in the quality wars.

"We reallocated our resources to get quality back under control," Esmond says. "We need to stay the leader and increase the gap again."
Good to hear that things are improving The new highlander should be a hit.
Old 06-25-07, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Any idea to improve quality was open to discussion. Long-denied requests for more time, money and personnel were approved. The first vehicle to be affected was the 2008 Toyota Highlander, which arrives in showrooms in August.
I'll review it when it comes out and we'll see how serious Toyota is here. But, to be honest, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old Highlander, quality-wise, and apparantly Consumer Reports agrees. It was one of the best mid-sized car-based SUV's on the market. Several of my friends and colleagues bought them, and are well-pleased.
Old 06-27-07, 11:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Toyota said they were going to improve quality, they weren't kidding.
Old 06-27-07, 02:16 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if they will do this with Lexus. Instead of 6-10 years for a redesign it be like 12-20 years.

Toyota/Lexus, its time for a new SC, so you can kick BMW in the ***** and Mercedes Benz.

The Pursuit of Perfection.
Old 06-27-07, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I wonder if they will do this with Lexus. Instead of 6-10 years for a redesign it be like 12-20 years.

Toyota/Lexus, its time for a new SC, so you can kick BMW in the ***** and Mercedes Benz.

The Pursuit of Perfection.
they were talking about adding extra months, not 5 years
Old 06-27-07, 02:36 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll review it when it comes out and we'll see how serious Toyota is here. But, to be honest, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old Highlander, quality-wise, and apparantly Consumer Reports agrees. It was one of the best mid-sized car-based SUV's on the market. Several of my friends and colleagues bought them, and are well-pleased.
I am waiting for your review (awd) if possible.

The new Highlander is just what I'm looking for (or CX-9 etc..). I think this will be a big seller.

I'm happy with the 3.3L in the Sienna but eagerly anticipate the 3.5L in the new Highlander.

Last edited by rai; 06-27-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 03:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lower production #s + higher demand = greater MSRP and resale values.

If Quality is best, then people will demand for and keep buying them. I would rather spend extra $$ for a great long-lasting car than save a little $$ and have a crappy tin-can of a car...
Old 06-27-07, 03:18 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
they were talking about adding extra months, not 5 years
For Lexus it means extra years lol
Old 06-27-07, 03:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
For Lexus it means extra years lol
The article mentions that this will apply to all future Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles. It also mentions that no new or future models will be delayed, because vehicle programs will now start a few months earlier.
Old 06-28-07, 10:40 AM
LexFather

Glad they recognize it now and trying to fix it. Toyota without quality is not very attractive.

Old 06-28-07, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
I am waiting for your review (awd) if possible.

The new Highlander is just what I'm looking for (or CX-9 etc..). I think this will be a big seller.

I reviewed the CX-9 several weeks ago....the top-of-the-line Grand Touring model.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2007+mazda+cx9

The new Highlander will have its work cut out for it if it is going up against the new Hyundai Santa Fe...which I also reviewed several months ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 05:48 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Perhaps the delayed release of the LS600hL is an early example of this philosophy in action?
Old 06-29-07, 11:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Perhaps the delayed release of the LS600hL is an early example of this philosophy in action?
Most likely. I'm also guessing the delayed release of the North American Corolla is also due to this, as well as not getting in the way of the Tundra launch.
Old 06-30-07, 12:10 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

So the new Highlander is the first vehicle under the new developlment process. Well I gotta say that the interior on the new Highlander definitely looks nice.
Old 06-30-07, 06:04 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no source to back this up but sounds like its to avoid political stress between Japan and the States.