Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Toyota still using the old 3.3L in the all new 2008 Highlander Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 07:40 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
One last thing…The 3.5L is a 5.7l V8 with 2 less cylinders. All the VVT-I oil valves and valve designs are the same.
Nope.

I dunno if the block and overall config might be shared, but obviously the bore and/or stroke are dramatically different, as a 3.5L V6 + 2 more cylinders would only displace 4.67 liters.

Obviously they use dramatically different cam profiles as well.

Again - maybe they use the same block, heads, and other overall design aspects... but they're far from "X is an X with 2 less cylinders".
Old 06-26-07, 09:13 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
True, but chances are that it wont be the 270hp 3.5L 2GR-FE, but rather the 306hp DI 2GR-FSE
Would that be with RWD??
Old 06-26-07, 09:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Would that be with RWD??
For me that makes sense, and I wish it were true, but it seems like most other readers and maybe lexus doesnt agree
Old 06-27-07, 01:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

you have to keep in mind that there might not be great differences between old and new V6, when used in hybrid application where CVT is used.

According to Autoweek, new HH has a lot smoother powertrain, which is very noticable and gets better mpg.

At the same time, I wouldnt be suprised if RX gets bigger engine to make them more different...
Old 06-27-07, 10:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Keep in mind the current Highlander Hybrid came out only 2 years ago. It would be impossible for Toyota to have engineered a new hybrid system with the 3.5L V6 in only two years. So instead they updated and refined the current hybrid system.

On a side note, the GR and UR engines both share similar block designs, and a few design principles, but it's too simple to say the GR engine is just a UR engine with 2 cylinders cut off.
Old 06-27-07, 11:40 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I think it's because they're not ready to re-tool the 3.5L production lines yet. The 3.3L in the hybrids is NOT identical to the one in the RX330. It has completely different heads, and no Variable Valve Timing. There are some other differences, but I'm not intimately familiar with them. Bottom line though, the 3.3L in the hybrids is detuned for less power and better efficiency. With the 3.5L going into so many products, it might just not be feasible at this point in time to convert some production into a less complex version. There also might not be a big advantage to doing that, since a lot of the power improvements on the new engine is due to the valve/head redesign, which would be stripped off if it was repurposed for hybrid duty anyway.

Purely conjecture, but that's my guess.
IT does have VVT-i. The 3MZ engines should be similar. They're running the normal Otto cycle not the Atkinson cycle on the Camry or Prius. They are detuned as you've said. Another reason could be economics. They developed the 3.3 litre HSD system before the 3.5 litre was ready. When you've poured that much money into the system, you might as well use it til you pay off the R&D.

Originally Posted by Ramon
I'm going to have to disagree... I don't see how the highlander and RX "can't handle more power" it's not like we're talking about putting in gear shredding V8's in there. As far as the 330 vs 350, I personally thought that the 330 seriously lacked power for a luxury sedan, it was downright underpowered IMO. I did however like the interior of the 330 better than the 350. When a stock civic can outrun your luxury sedan, that is definatly not the perfect amount of power to have. This of course is "IMO"
I don't think 0-60 in 8 secs ish is underpowered. Comparing a 2002 Civic (which is fairly anemic), it's pretty fast. Even with a manual, the Civic could probably only do the low 9s.

Originally Posted by smokn'_joe
this is my guess...

i think maybe the v6 hybrid R&D started with 3.3L motor before the 3.5L motor came out on the highlander? they might not want to spend additional resource on the 3.5L design until the 3.3L pays off the R&D cost?
Yeah, that's my guess too (although the GS is using that setup).