Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Toyota still using the old 3.3L in the all new 2008 Highlander Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:48 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is Toyota still using the old 3.3L in the all new 2008 Highlander Hybrid?

OK so when the RX350 came out and the RX400h remained using the old (and somewhat antiquated) 3.3L + hybrid, I was a little confused.

But I figured maybe there was something about the inherent design of the RX and the hybrid system that made it not worth the effort to move to the 3.5L until the next generation RX came out.

But this Highlander is all new. Everything is changed.

Yet they're still using the 3.3L V6 that every other Toyota product in the US market (except for the RX) has given up by now?

The 3.5L is as or more economical than the 3.3L, considerably more powerful, and probably better in most other measurable ways.

What gives?

If the all new RX comes out and STILL isn't using the 3.5L, then that will negate my last standing theory, which is that they didn't want the hybrid highlander to be more powerful than the RX hybrid... even though it looks to be nicer in most other regards, for now...
Old 06-25-07, 08:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps it's all about economics. Perhaps a business contract to use the technology is still in effect.

Also, a little more power (for a vehicle that can't handle such power) may not be a good thing. For example, I think the ES330 was perfect, but the ES350 is too much...
Old 06-25-07, 08:51 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree... I don't see how the highlander and RX "can't handle more power" it's not like we're talking about putting in gear shredding V8's in there. As far as the 330 vs 350, I personally thought that the 330 seriously lacked power for a luxury sedan, it was downright underpowered IMO. I did however like the interior of the 330 better than the 350. When a stock civic can outrun your luxury sedan, that is definatly not the perfect amount of power to have. This of course is "IMO"
Old 06-25-07, 09:54 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

According to my buddy, he says it may have to do with production capacity. They are using nearly all of the new 3.5L engines which are produced. Until they can ramp up production, they are using the 3.3L to keep up with product demand.
Old 06-25-07, 10:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vipermann1
According to my buddy, he says it may have to do with production capacity. They are using nearly all of the new 3.5L engines which are produced. Until they can ramp up production, they are using the 3.3L to keep up with product demand.
Well that's certainly a valid reason that I've seen used on many other product lines... BUT... usually they're 'used up' on the cheapest models, not the most expensive...
Old 06-25-07, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Toyota/Lexus is learning to do product refreshes with engines. Like the GS 430 carrying over the same engine and going to GS 460 this fall.

I can believe the production issues as well.

Also, a hybrid 3.5 will easily make 300hp, it makes 340 in the GS 450h.

Old 06-25-07, 09:13 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota/Lexus is learning to do product refreshes with engines. Like the GS 430 carrying over the same engine and going to GS 460 this fall.

I can believe the production issues as well.
Totally agree. 99% chance the '09 RX will still be a 350...
Old 06-25-07, 11:26 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
When a stock civic can outrun your luxury sedan, that is definatly not the perfect amount of power to have. This of course is "IMO"
I don't think anyone buys a ES and races a Civic. The ES is a luxury sedan just like you said so if anyones thinks about racing a Civic they would be driving an IS.
Old 06-26-07, 01:13 AM
formosa927
Driver

this is my guess...

i think maybe the v6 hybrid R&D started with 3.3L motor before the 3.5L motor came out on the highlander? they might not want to spend additional resource on the 3.5L design until the 3.3L pays off the R&D cost?
Old 06-26-07, 05:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I think it's because they're not ready to re-tool the 3.5L production lines yet. The 3.3L in the hybrids is NOT identical to the one in the RX330. It has completely different heads, and no Variable Valve Timing. There are some other differences, but I'm not intimately familiar with them. Bottom line though, the 3.3L in the hybrids is detuned for less power and better efficiency. With the 3.5L going into so many products, it might just not be feasible at this point in time to convert some production into a less complex version. There also might not be a big advantage to doing that, since a lot of the power improvements on the new engine is due to the valve/head redesign, which would be stripped off if it was repurposed for hybrid duty anyway.

Purely conjecture, but that's my guess.
Old 06-26-07, 06:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

My feeling has always been, that with few exceptions, the power in SUVs is tied strongly to the weight of the vehicle itself.
Old 06-26-07, 10:31 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Totally agree. 99% chance the '09 RX will still be a 350...
True, but chances are that it wont be the 270hp 3.5L 2GR-FE, but rather the 306hp DI 2GR-FSE
Old 06-26-07, 01:08 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I don't think anyone buys a ES and races a Civic. The ES is a luxury sedan just like you said so if anyones thinks about racing a Civic they would be driving an IS.
Talk about missing the point The Civic compro was only to illustrate how underpowered the ES330 is. A luxury sedan should have some *****, like the ES350 has and the ES330 lacks.
Old 06-26-07, 06:00 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

The hybrid system for the V6 was designed for the 3.3L not the 3.5L. The hybrid system is so touchy anyway. When they (Toyota) built and ran the prius on the salt flats, one of the things they tried to do was run bigger tires on the front to increase the top speed. The ECU went nuts. You can’t just bolt a different motor to the transaxle and expect it to work. Not in any Toyota hybrid. One last thing…The 3.5L is a 5.7l V8 with 2 less cylinders. All the VVT-I oil valves and valve designs are the same.
Old 06-26-07, 07:13 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
The hybrid system for the V6 was designed for the 3.3L not the 3.5L. The hybrid system is so touchy anyway. When they (Toyota) built and ran the prius on the salt flats, one of the things they tried to do was run bigger tires on the front to increase the top speed. The ECU went nuts. You can’t just bolt a different motor to the transaxle and expect it to work. Not in any Toyota hybrid. One last thing…The 3.5L is a 5.7l V8 with 2 less cylinders. All the VVT-I oil valves and valve designs are the same.
I think you would be wrong on that

Quick Reply: Why is Toyota still using the old 3.3L in the all new 2008 Highlander Hybrid?