Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G37 vs 335i in Motortrend, and the winner isn't the BMW...(+TCC's Road Test of G37)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 03:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
I don't believe you Och.

Picus is right about the fuel pumps. I have read however, BMW has switched to Bosche fuel pumps and this should solve the problem. Only time will tell.
Dude, you dont believe me, fine, but I went there with a friend who was seriously considering getting a 335 to replace his highly modified Caprice. He is very disappointed, and will now wait to see what the G37 is like, and hopefully Lexus wont delay with IS coupe, so maybe I can talk him into that.
Old 06-25-07, 03:59 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Thanks Picus I like the look of the new G but was just curious how it stacks up. BMW brakes are just fade free all day long. Just got to clean that infamous German brake dust every day
They'll fade, trust me.

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
On the 335i's overheating issue:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=625687

"Each and every car overheated and shut down. Hmmmm, how's that? Yup! The oil temperature on every car shot to 300 degrees and the cars shut down. We learned that early on and instructed every driver to watch it closely. Driving amounted to about 5 hot laps, 2 parade laps, and so on. Never saw anything like it yet. Talk about a fatal flaw on these vehicles. Can't wait to see this happen to the general public and see how BMW responds. I guarantee you we were not pushing these so hard that no one will ever experience what we did. In fact, one of the ABCC members took a car home with him and on his ride in to the track, aggressively I might add, overheated it and shut down on him."
This report, which was in 09/06, was proven to be untrue. No cars at Autobahn Country Club overheated, one was shut down because it was at 300F (it did not overheat). Sorry; I just hate internet rumors. The owner of ACC posted himself and mentioned that it was not true.

Originally Posted by Och
Yesterday I went to the BMW ultimate drive event, and when I test drove the 335, the POS overheated. This is laughable, because BMW is praised for making performance engines, but not a single of their performance engines is anywhere remotely reliable. The old M3 has major engine problems and oil consuming, M5 has compression issues, and the new 335 overheats. I can't wait for these POSes to start blowing headgaskets left and right.

That being said, BMW should've just bought whatever 2JZGTE's that Toyota has in the left over bin, and put them into the 335. It a far superior engine despite being 15 years old. BMW should just stick to making 180hp 325's and selling them to badge buyers.
I don't believe you either. Had a 335i overheated at a BMW event someone on a BMW forum would have mentioned it by now. I can promise you the guys without oil coolers are more on top of this than you are. So far not a single 335i with the oil cooler, anywhere, has overheated. Not only that, but I know for a fact that while they do let you drive reasonbly hard at these events, no BMW Ultimate Drive Event will let you drive nearly hard enough to overheat a 335i. I've tracked with, literally, dozens of 335is and have yet to see one overheat in 100F+ conditions after dozens of NON stop laps. So, given your history with BMW, unless you've got a picture, I call BS.

Which event was this? Which car? What time? I'd love to be able to confirm this actually happened.

Last edited by picus; 06-25-07 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 04:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
I don't believe you either. Had a 335i overheated at a BMW event someone on a BMW forum would have mentioned it by now. I can promise you the guys without oil coolers are more on top of this than you are. So far not a single 335i with the oil cooler, anywhere, has overheated. You hate BMW, we get it... unless you have something worthwhile to add then save it. This thread is going to remain productive if it kills me (and it might).
The event just took place yesterday, Dashooker was there too, albeit he showed up after I was gone. I don't know if he drove the 335 on that event, you can ask him, it was the only 335 there anyways, with an auto tranny. When I drove it, the car didn't overheat to the point of a shut down, but the oil temperature reached 280 degrees and a red exclamation mark was lit up. If you don't believe me, I can give you MSN messenger info for the friend that was there with me, and he can confirm that to you.

Which event was this? Which car? What time? I'd love to be able to confirm this actually happened.
It was the BMW ultimate drive event that took place yesterday and saturday at Belmont Race track, in Long Island, NY. They didn't have us driving the car around the track, they actually let you drive it on public roads, all by yourself, for a decent route of approximately 7-1/2 miles. There's a thread in this forum about the event. Here is the link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=289720

Last edited by Och; 06-25-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 04:09 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Och - whether or not it was true, I think people don't believe you because you have established yourself to be pretty firmly anti-BMW, pro-lexus, and very often it seems people who are entrenched at a very biased position only see 'some' things happen but never seen 'other' things happen, if you understand what I mean.

Now granted, what you're saying may very well be the honest to goodness truth, but it's kinda like when I'm surfing the BMW forums and there's one guy that hates Lexus so much that he talks about how 'all of his friends have lemons Lexus cars and he has never seen a BMW break in his life'.
Old 06-25-07, 04:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Och - whether or not it was true, I think people don't believe you because you have established yourself to be pretty firmly anti-BMW, pro-lexus, and very often it seems people who are entrenched at a very biased position only see 'some' things happen but never seen 'other' things happen, if you understand what I mean.
I understand what you mean, but if you read some of my recent posts, you'll see that I'm also firmly "anti-past L-finesse Lexus" as well.

Originally Posted by Threxx
Now granted, what you're saying may very well be the honest to goodness truth, but it's kinda like when I'm surfing the BMW forums and there's one guy that hates Lexus so much that he talks about how 'all of his friends have lemons Lexus cars and he has never seen a BMW break in his life'.
You'll be hard pressed to find a single one of my posts where I claimed all BMW's to be lemons or Lexus being uber reliable, besides of course the current M3 which is notorious for engine problems.
Old 06-25-07, 04:43 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I believe you, and apologize for saying it didn't happen - however the car you were in did not overheat. 280F is well within the normal operating temperature of the car. The red exclamation point could have been for anything; the same one comes up when I am low on gas (it comes on at 100km left on the tank, and 50km left), it comes on when my trunk is open, when the TPMS goes off, when someone isn't wearing a seatbelt, if a door or sunroof is pinched, if I am low on windshield wiper fluid... you get the idea. You have to his the OBDC stalk to see that the actual issue is.

Unless the oil temp needle is pegged at 300F (meaning it is above 300F), the car will not go into limp. The 335i goes into limp mode at 322F, which is well above 280F. My car regular rides at 280F. In fact, on my way home today it was sitting at 145C (290F). The "normal operating temperature" for the car is 100C-166C, meaning 240F-313F. So ya, I believe what you say did happen, but the car you were in didn't go into limp mode. FWIW, when a 335i goes into limp you don't get the red exclamation point, you get a CEL, which is a half filled engine light.

Interesting note with non-oil cooler equipped cars. When you hit about 295F you can actually tell you've hit the limit of the cars ability to cool itself. You press the gas and the oil temp goes up, let off and it goes down. That said, 280F is pretty much the daily operating temp for a non-oil cooled 335i.

Last edited by picus; 06-25-07 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 04:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
OK, I believe you, and apologize for saying it didn't happen - however the car you were in did not overheat. 280F is well within the normal operating temperature of the car. The red exclamation point could have been for anything; the same one comes up when I am low on gas (it comes on at 100km left on the tank, and 50km left), it comes on when my trunk is open, when the TPMS goes off, when someone isn't wearing a seatbelt, if a door or sunroof is pinched, if I am low on windshield wiper fluid... you get the idea. You have to his the OBDC stalk to see that the actual issue is.

Unless the oil temp needle is pegged at 300F (meaning it is above 300F), the car will not go into limp. The 335i goes into limp mode at 322F, which is well above 280F. My car regular rides at 280F. In fact, on my way home today it was sitting at 145C (290F). The "normal operating temperature" for the car is 100C-166C, meaning 240F-313F. So ya, I believe what you say did happen, but the car you were in didn't go into limp mode. FWIW, when a 335i goes into limp you don't get the red exclamation point, you get a CEL, which is a half filled engine light.

Interesting note with non-oil cooler equipped cars. When you hit about 295F you can actually tell you've hit the limit of the cars ability to cool itself. You press the gas and the oil temp goes up, let off and it goes down. That said, 280F is pretty much the daily operating temp for a non-oil cooled 335i.
I see, I'm gonna have to point it out to my friend, because in all honestly I didn't even notice the exclamation until he pointed it out to me. The car defenately didn't feel like it was in a limp mode, and still hauled *** much more so than 550 or 750.
Old 06-25-07, 05:20 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, in limp you're reduced to 60% power at 313F, then 20% power at 322F, so you would have noticed it. Could have been anything, seatbelt not on, TPMS, etc.
Old 06-25-07, 05:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I see, thanks for pointing out. I guess I was too quick to jump into a conclusion.
Old 06-25-07, 06:47 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from the same magazine that said the Hyundai Veracruz is better than the Lexus RX. And that the Toyota Camry is the Car of the Year.
Old 06-25-07, 07:12 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
This is from the same magazine that said the Hyundai Veracruz is better than the Lexus RX. And that the Toyota Camry is the Car of the Year.
Good point. I didn't disagree with them when those were first published, but in retrospect, they were wrong (IMO).
Old 06-25-07, 07:35 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just curious but what is this "ZSP" that was referred to with the 335i?
Old 06-25-07, 08:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I'm just curious but what is this "ZSP" that was referred to with the 335i?
It's the option code for the sport package, which apparently determines whether or not the car has a secondary oil cooler.
Old 06-25-07, 08:09 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

You got it. On the 335i coupe zsp gets you a higher top speed limiter, better seats, and an oil cooler. On the sedan it gets you the same plus the sport suspension (which is standard on the coupe).
Old 06-25-07, 08:10 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
BMW brakes are just fade free all day long. Just got to clean that infamous German brake dust every day
I'm sure a 4000lb car w/massed produced brakes is going to remain fade free all day long.

Sorry, but the the 335i like all BMW's is far from trackworthy. Unless you consider the 330i's failure in C&D and the M5 failure on topgear as acceptable.

This is the second time a review has indicated the 335i has serious cooling issues.

Quick Reply: G37 vs 335i in Motortrend, and the winner isn't the BMW...(+TCC's Road Test of G37)