Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why don't Toyota and Nissan use V-8s in their cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 06:23 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have a slightly different take on the "marketing" of their vehicles than do the folks on this side of the Pacific. Honda for years said their cars did not NEED a V8, that their cars were designed for "balance" between power, handling, and braking. Because they hold themselves to be the automotive experts rather than their customers, they do not offer a V8 simply because you don't need it. They know best. End of discussion.

For the most part, I believe they are correct. Particularly in their home market, a V8 makes absolutely no sense, considering the traffic congestion, fuel cost, and tax structure in Japan that limits the practicality of a large-displacement engine. The V6 has proven to be able to provide "adequate" performance for today's cars . . . if you are happy with "adequate" then, fine.

But that "we know what is best for you" is a cultural thing that slops over into the top management of the company. While it is logical - in a Vulcan way - to allow the automotive experts run the marketing department, it does not respond to the WANTS of the customer. Case in point, Acura does not offer a V8 in its luxury line - and has taken a beating every year in the US market. Americans associate a V8 with luxury - that is just a given in our culture. But Honda/Acura bullheadedly refuses to deliver, despite microscopic sales figures. I think they're going to hold their breath over this until they turn blue.

In the US, particularly, the customer is always right. If you want a big honkin' three-ton TRUCK to commute in, you can choose from a variety of vehicles that will cost a fortune, consume mass quantities of hydrocarbon, and send your insurance agent on a nice cruise every summer. Whatever you want (and are willing to pay for), that's just fine. Would you like the offroad suspension with that? In Japan, they know better than to let you have what you want. It's . . . illogical.

I'll bet their kids still get cod liver oil too . . .
Old 06-26-07, 06:27 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I'll bet their kids still get cod liver oil too . . .
I was forced to drink that as a child ha ha......I still joke about that with my parents now.
Old 06-26-07, 07:02 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Our parents were so dumb . . . And now we take fish oil capsules for the Omega 3 fatty acids and are so proud of ourselves . . . when we would be better off going back to the really nasty stuff our parents force-fed us. Maybe they knew something we didn't.
Old 06-26-07, 07:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A V8 Yaris, Corolla, Camry, or Avalon is overkill.

The Solara has no pretension to be a sports car.

A V8 Prius is counter-intuitive.

A powerhouse coupe (such as a Supra) would be nice, but would not be economically profitable for Toyota. Resale values also will kill it. Better to add a Lexus badge and make a little more profit.
Old 06-26-07, 07:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The cookie cutter cars from Nissan & Toyota seem to be on par with their luxury counterparts already.
Hmmm isn't GM, Ford and Chrysler already on that same boat? Cookie cutter cars cross platform/brands?
Old 06-26-07, 08:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hmmm isn't GM, Ford and Chrysler already on that same boat? Cookie cutter cars cross platform/brands?
Oh, I am not denying that GM, Ford & Chrylser is in the same boat. In business, in order to stay on top, you must be a 'cut' above the rest. Lets see if Toyota or Nissan is willing to take it up a notch.
Old 06-26-07, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Uh huh... V-8s in fwd cars... well take a look at chevy, impala/monte carlo, yes we all want a v-8 monte or impala but not FWD... DAMM NASCAR doing away with homologation Look how well those cars handle.
Can anyone spell T-O-R-Q-U-E S-T-E-E-R ?
Old 06-26-07, 12:17 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be another good topic. Why don't Nissan and toyota make the Avalon And the Maxima a rear drive car. I think it would hep the sells of these cars. It's the flagships of the two automakers Why by a Avalon if you can get a Camry cheaper with just as much room. If you had a V-8 rear drive Avalon IMO it would help on sells. Same with the Maxima.
Old 06-26-07, 12:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephlee
hahaha, hyundai needs something to boost their sale.....
when they cant compete in luxury, performance, and reliability sectors, they have to give out something to attract their buyers....
which is a gas-sucking V8 at the cost of a tercel

Uhmm, Hyundai is the fastest growing car company out their with top notch quality and reliability (only Toyota and Honda can compete in reliablity right now). And yes, they compete nicely in entry the level luxury and performance department as well.

Welcome to 2007.
Old 06-26-07, 12:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A RWD Avalon? If such a thing happened, consider the already struggling GS to be history.

It simply won't happen because of Lexus. V6's now are good enough to not really warrant a need for a V8. If it was my money, I'd have a GS 350 over a GS 460...when am I ever going to use the additional 80HP? Especially at the higher initial cost and fuel premium.
Old 06-26-07, 12:45 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't Toyota and Nissan use V-8s in their cars?
1. Gas is $3.00 a gallon.
2. The V-6's are quicker than you need them to be.
3. They wouldn't sell.
4. Visit your Lexus or Infiniti dealer and pay $40k+ if you want one.
5. How many American/German cars in this segment come with V-8's??
5. Gas is $3.00 a gallon.

And Shawnmack,

You have a GS300 with a V-6 (in a luxury car no less). Why didn't you get the V-8?? You can probably answer your original question yourself.
Old 06-26-07, 12:55 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only cookie cutter(non-luxury) German brand I recall stuffing a V8 in their mass produced vehicles was VW with the w8 Passat. VW stop production of the w8 Passat some years back. But they (VW) sure had the gusto to produce such a vehicle... Anywho, Lexus and Infiniti are established "luxury brands" correct?? Those two companies should be able to stand on their own merit if their cookie cutter brands offered v8's in their cars. Why should Infiniti and Lexus be concerned about sales being taken away??
Old 06-26-07, 12:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the 270 hp 3.5 is already good enough to get around if you want something more than a i4
Old 06-26-07, 01:18 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
1. Gas is $3.00 a gallon.
2. The V-6's are quicker than you need them to be.
3. They wouldn't sell.
4. Visit your Lexus or Infiniti dealer and pay $40k+ if you want one.
5. How many American/German cars in this segment come with V-8's??
5. Gas is $3.00 a gallon.

And Shawnmack,

You have a GS300 with a V-6 (in a luxury car no less). Why didn't you get the V-8?? You can probably answer your original question yourself.
1st off Cuz I had a V-8 in my 04 545. I bought this GS 300 cause it was cheap.
You say they wouldn't sell Around Charlotte all you see are the Dodge Chargers with the Hemi. The 300c with the Hemi's . Lots of people would by a Maxima with a V-8 for around 35k.
Name me one Luxury V-8 you can get for 40k brand new.
Old 06-26-07, 03:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
1st off Cuz I had a V-8 in my 04 545. I bought this GS 300 cause it was cheap.
You say they wouldn't sell Around Charlotte all you see are the Dodge Chargers with the Hemi. The 300c with the Hemi's . Lots of people would by a Maxima with a V-8 for around 35k.
Name me one Luxury V-8 you can get for 40k brand new.
Buick Lucerne can be had with the V8, for under $40K. I researched it briefly only to find out the 3.5 V6 in the Lexus ES is quicker 0-60, stops shorter 70-0 (less weight up front) and gets WAY better gas mileage than the vaunted Northstar V8 in the Buick. I think the Buick is selling OK though, but not as well as the ES.

Quick Reply: Why don't Toyota and Nissan use V-8s in their cars