Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why don't Toyota and Nissan use V-8s in their cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 04:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Buick Lucerne can be had with the V8, for under $40K. I researched it briefly only to find out the 3.5 V6 in the Lexus ES is quicker 0-60, stops shorter 70-0 (less weight up front) and gets WAY better gas mileage than the vaunted Northstar V8 in the Buick. I think the Buick is selling OK though, but not as well as the ES.
I think you stated it quite correctly. Why take a V8 that gets worse gas mileage when you can have the same power, but less weight, better gas mileage, lower emissions, and lower price?

Right now, in American brands, you NEED a V8 to be competitive with the Japanese V6s out there (minus the Z06, CTS-V, and other haloish cars -- we're talking about regular cars). There is no "stepping up" to do here. I dont think a 4000lb+ 350hp pig of a Pontiac G8 is going to have ANYTHING to do with a V8 M3 or IS-F; I have no clue why the press release even mentioned those types of cars in the same breath. It will be about as fast as an IS350 I'd imagine.

Hyundais arent luxury cars While built nice and are getting better in reliability; they still dont touch the many many luxury appointments that BMW, Mercedes and Lexus have. The Hyundai V8 will most likely not even make as much power as current V6 offerings from Honda, Nissan, and Toyota.

There might be many 300cs and Chargers out there with "Hemis" (its not even a Hemi, its a damned Pent-roof), but there are still FAR FAR more Camrys, Corollas, Accords, Altimas, etc... several magnitudes of difference actually.
Old 06-26-07, 06:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
In business, in order to stay on top, you must be a 'cut' above the rest. Lets see if Toyota or Nissan is willing to take it up a notch.
That is very true. Toyota and Nissan are already leaps and bounds ahead of the American competition, while the big 3 are struggling to catch up (think profitability).