Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A4 first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 08:20 PM
oslo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 first impressions

Today my roommate and I swapped cars for the day. He got to drive my '98 LS and I got to drive his '99 Audi A4 2.8. My skills with a manual transmission need some work, but that car handles VERY well, especially after driving a huge lexus around for so long. Going around the on/off ramps, it felt like the car didn't have any body roll at all. I just kept giving it gas and it just held and could've taken more easily. Anyone have any thoughts/impressions on the A4? Am I just in shock after driving such a poor handling car for so long?
Old 06-25-07, 08:49 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it quattro? there is such a huge difference when you corner w/ a quattro equipped Audi. A lot of people get into trouble because they get too confident w/ the AWD system. You appreciate the traction; but quickly realize after a bit that it's anemic and needs power to propel that beast down the street.
Old 06-26-07, 06:56 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
is it quattro? there is such a huge difference when you corner w/ a quattro equipped Audi. A lot of people get into trouble because they get too confident w/ the AWD system. You appreciate the traction; but quickly realize after a bit that it's anemic and needs power to propel that beast down the street.
thats what the S4 is for...if you can afford 15mpg city. I'd love to own a B5 S4 one day.
Old 06-26-07, 07:59 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were that impressed with his car, you should check out the current gen B7 A4, or the 3-series.

Your room mate's A4 was from back when they shared quite a bit of their suspension and design with the Passat.

Since then they've split off into two independent platforms and handling and chassis response has improved dramatically for the A4. It's considerably more sprightly and smaller car than the Passat, too.

Originally Posted by foofighter
Quattro is, if anything, going to slightly HURT the handling of the car until you reach the limits of traction (due to the extra weight).

I'm doubting he was pushing his room mate's car that hard that only quattro was keeping him from losing it.

Quattro also makes these cars slower after about the 30mph mark. Its primary purpose, really, is for a dramatic improvement in poor weather condition traction - snow and ice especially.
Old 06-26-07, 08:16 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
If you were that impressed with his car, you should check out the current gen B7 A4, or the 3-series.
I remember when this girl I was dating in high school had a sky blue B5 Passat...I was thinking what a cute car, until I got to ride in it and i was like "holy crap, now this is body rigidity". That really was a watershed moment for me.

i got to drive a B7 A4 a while ago, and gave me that same holy **** impression. you should definitely try driving the B7.