Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power and Associates 2012 "APEAL" STUDY (Updated, post#44)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 08:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If jaguar's appeal is ranked so high, why aren't people buying them? Most people buy their car because it appeals to them. I doubt most would buy a car and not give a rat-*** about it.
The results are from survey of people who did bought them already, & how they rave about it. Apparently, those who bought the Jags are happy with their purchase.
Old 06-29-07, 09:29 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Agree, Subaru is the Rodney Dangerfield of cars, 'No respect'. My wife and I both own Subarus and in the six years we have owned them they have been absolutely bulletproof. I had my WRX in Canada for three winters and while others stayed home because of the snow I was out and about. AWD is great in these kind of conditions. The media only focuses on the big boys, Toyota, Nissan, Honda and they ignore the smaller players like Subaru. Their Legacy is overall a better choice in most circumstances than the Camry, but no one knows about it. A shame.

True, the snout on the B-9 and last Impreza models was bad, but that has been rectified in the 2008's.
My opinion of the media's and the public's eyes:
Toyota, Honda, Nissan
Mazda, Subaru [Hyundai would go in here]
Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Isuzu [Kia would go in here]

Did I leave any out?
Old 06-29-07, 10:20 AM
xioix
Racer

Too bad it doesn't translate into incentives, as Honda and Nissan ranked higher than Toyota, but they both used more incentives in the past months than Toyota
Old 06-29-07, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,346 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
appeal is too image based, no care
Yes, Lexus owners aren't image conscious.
Old 06-29-07, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I'd be careful... I think he has a lot more seniority around these parts than you think he does...
Correct. Genearch has been one of the CL Auto Chat pillars for quite awhile. After all, it's primarily him and me that keep the back-and-forth argument going about I-Drive.
Old 06-29-07, 02:17 PM
genearch
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct. Genearch has been one of the CL Auto Chat pillars for quite awhile. After all, it's primarily him and me that keep the back-and-forth argument going about I-Drive.
Been here off/on as long as most anybody here. Don't be fooled by the "join date" either, I was on before this evolved into ClubLexus.
Old 06-29-07, 04:02 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

True, the snout on the B-9 and last Impreza models was bad, but that has been rectified in the 2008's.
I saw it (09 Tribeca) the other day and I still can't see why its being produced. The interior isn't bad but there materials are very cheap and fragile.
Old 06-29-07, 08:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Too bad it doesn't translate into incentives, as Honda and Nissan ranked higher than Toyota, but they both used more incentives in the past months than Toyota
Has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with incentives. But hey, if it makes you feel better, post the actual differences in Honda vs. Toyota incentives....
Old 06-30-07, 05:44 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
My opinion of the media's and the public's eyes:
Toyota, Honda, Nissan
Mazda, Subaru [Hyundai would go in here]
Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Isuzu [Kia would go in here]

Did I leave any out?
Yeah, that's about right. But in the public's eye there is a huge gap between the big 3 and the second tier.

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I saw it (09 Tribeca) the other day and I still can't see why its being produced. The interior isn't bad but there materials are very cheap and fragile.
Don't think the materials are any worse than any of the other cars, imo. As far as fragility goes, I can only speak from experience. I've had absolutely zero breakages of any parts either mechanically or pieces inside or outside. No cracks or pieces falling off. In fact we have zero squeaks in our vehicles. They are solidly built.
Old 06-30-07, 05:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Been here off/on as long as most anybody here. Don't be fooled by the "join date" either, I was on before this evolved into ClubLexus.
What happened to your post count anyway?
Old 06-30-07, 10:08 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's about right. But in the public's eye there is a huge gap between the big 3 and the second tier.

Don't think the materials are any worse than any of the other cars, imo. As far as fragility goes, I can only speak from experience. I've had absolutely zero breakages of any parts either mechanically or pieces inside or outside. No cracks or pieces falling off. In fact we have zero squeaks in our vehicles. They are solidly built.
Yea my cousin has a 2002 WRX and its perfect as far as rattling goes but the dash material is very fragile and the engine started misfiring at 22k miles but every car has its bugs. Overall I think its one of the most under rated cars out theres from the handling to the power. That Blaze Yellow was my favorite color when it came out in 2002 with gunmetal wheels (I was 16).
Old 07-01-07, 06:55 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happened to lexus/Toyota "fit and finish"?

Maybe too busy churning out too many cars and not enough QA/QC? Not only is Lexus behind porsche, MB, BMW, and Jaguar - wtf Jaguar? they still make cars with that nameplate? overall - ISx50 is behind BMW 3 series in the category. And Hyundai and Pontiac are ahead of Toyota??

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2007101.pdf
Old 07-01-07, 07:00 AM
LexFather

Moved to car chat

Old 07-01-07, 07:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

APEAL category is not a big thing, imo. We already know more people like their Mercedes or BMW or even Porsche.
Old 07-01-07, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,346 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
APEAL category is not a big thing, imo. We already know more people like their Mercedes or BMW or even Porsche.
Perception is everything. GM and Ford were once thought of as delivering quality vehicles (even when at times they were total garbage) and NOW they're delivering a lot of quality vehicles when they get trashed in 'opinions'/perception.

Toyota[Lexus] will need to address this IMMEDIATELY or these perceptions WILL hurt them. We can all laugh about Chinese car imports, but they're coming, will stink to start with, but will get better. And of course Hyundai/Kia is improving rapidly each year.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power and Associates 2012 "APEAL" STUDY (Updated, post#44)