Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dedicated Lexus Hybrid in Development

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 08:08 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Dedicated Lexus Hybrid in Development

MotorAuthority
Lexus is currently developing a dedicated hybrid model that’s set to go on sale in 2009. The new car will be Lexus’ most affordable hybrid and will be positioned above the current IS sedan. The hybrid will be priced in between the IS and RX 400h SUV and will be initially offered to the Japanese and UK markets. It’s still undetermined whether or not it will be sold in the US.

“Hybrid is the brand-defining technology for Lexus,” said Steve Settle, the head of Lexus in the UK, during an interview with Automotive News. The eco-friendly cars account for 70% of Lexus sales in the UK, so it’s not surprising that the luxury brand is ready to introduce a hybrid only model.

Lexus has already introduced an efficient diesel engine in its IS sedan, but management see hybrid technology as a way for to differentiate Lexus in the luxury segment. Also, the average hybrid buyer’s income level is relatively high, and vehicles like Toyota’s Prius don’t appeal to individuals in this segment.

Old 06-28-07, 08:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That would be interesting.

But honestly, I think gas-saving hybrids should stay with Toyota, and power-increasing hybrids should stay with Lexus. Effieciency equals cost savings equals Toyota. Luxury equals excessiveness equals Lexus...
Old 06-28-07, 08:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

But honestly, I think gas-saving hybrids should stay with Toyota, and power-increasing hybrids should stay with Lexus. Effieciency equals cost savings equals Toyota. Luxury equals excessiveness equals Lexus...
Maybe they want to use next gen. electric motor with light batteries as an alternative to turbo chargers for power increase/performance ? ( & be fuel efficient at the same time in comparison)
Old 06-28-07, 08:56 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see which model it is.
Old 06-28-07, 10:12 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Dedicated

Originally Posted by JessePS
Can't wait to see which model it is.
The article says that it will be a dedicated model - meaning like the Prius, there is no non-hybrid version ... so it will be an all new model.
Old 06-28-07, 10:35 AM
LexFather

I think its great. THe Lexus hybrids are gaining some momentum publicity wise and its something that can distinguish the brand. It also shows Lexus is on the forefront of automotive technology.

GREAT move, IMO.

Old 06-28-07, 10:39 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS69
The article says that it will be a dedicated model - meaning like the Prius, there is no non-hybrid version ... so it will be an all new model.
I got that.

I just wonder if its going to be a sedan or some sort of cross-over like the MCX or JX.

Plus couldn't they take a car they already have in production and only make it into a hybrid. That would have made better sense to me, then actually make another model that will only be a hybrid. How hard would it be just to have the RX or LS sold only with a hybrid?!
Old 06-29-07, 03:07 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS69
,The hybrid will be priced in between the IS and RX 400h SUV and will be initially offered to the Japanese and UK markets. It’s still undetermined whether or not it will be sold in the US.
Only UK and JDM? Thats a first IF it happens
Old 06-29-07, 07:19 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

I got that.

I just wonder if its going to be a sedan or some sort of cross-over like the MCX or JX.
My guess is it will probably be the LF-S concept seen here:

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_s.html

Plus couldn't they take a car they already have in production and only make it into a hybrid. That would have made better sense to me, then actually make another model that will only be a hybrid. How hard would it be just to have the RX or LS sold only with a hybrid?!
I think that would be a bad idea. Many Lexus buyers are old-fashioned in a sense and would have no use for a hybrid-only LS or RX. Customers like options and I think having a hybrid-only car in their lineup is a good move.
Old 06-29-07, 09:58 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

The Camry hybrid is faster than its I4 model and it is more fuel efficient, so that is not reserved to just Lexus
Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
My guess is it will probably be the LF-S concept seen here:

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_s.html

I think that would be a bad idea. Many Lexus buyers are old-fashioned in a sense and would have no use for a hybrid-only LS or RX. Customers like options and I think having a hybrid-only car in their lineup is a good move.
That LF-S was the design direction for the GS
Old 07-03-07, 03:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if the hybrid's unique styling can be more daring, say a CLS-type competitor vehicle...would that be too crazy to be hybrid?
Old 07-03-07, 03:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by enigma888
I wonder if the hybrid's unique styling can be more daring, say a CLS-type competitor vehicle...would that be too crazy to be hybrid?
They probably want the first hybrid-only Lexus to have reasonably good rear headroom & ease of entry/exit , as much as I like the CLS styling ...
Old 07-03-07, 03:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

OK, but then to go the other direction...a Lexus minivan??? They have plenty of SUVs and sedans...
Old 07-03-07, 04:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by enigma888
OK, but then to go the other direction...a Lexus minivan??? They have plenty of SUVs and sedans...
Since the Lexus hybrids are more attractive to the Europeans relative to gasoline models, I think they want the hybrid-only Lexus to help increase their popularity there, & a niche design like a 4-door coupe may not be the best approach.
Old 07-03-07, 04:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I can see that reasoning. In between IS and RX 400h is a pretty interesting position...

Quick Reply: Dedicated Lexus Hybrid in Development