Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VA Traffic Fines

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 06:08 AM
freddymoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this fine based on where the driver is licensed or where the vehicle is registered or anyone who gets a ticket in VA??
Old 07-02-07, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Motorist club AAA Mid-Atlantic supports the new penalties.

"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely. Maybe this will," says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.
Very interesting. AAA is usually opposed to higher fines and harsher enforcement. The fact that their chief spokesman in VA supports it tells you something.......reckless driving IS a problem. It's not just a revenue-raising scheme. So don't be surprised if other states soon follow.
Old 07-02-07, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash2110
Sorry, I don't see this happening, especially considering that despite looking up and down the VA traffic law, I can't find a monetary punishment for living in VA but having your car registered out-of-state. I know it's against the rules, but it's not a damn felony.
There ARE monetary punishments in VA. If you get caught doing some of the things you do, you are liable for fines......and unpaid personal property car taxes if they apply in your county. Of course, like in other states, it is at the discretion of the judge hearing the case....he or she can fine and tax you the full amount that DMV wants, lessen the fine, put you on probation and extend the case, or dismiss the case altogether.

I'm only telling you this for your own good. I'm not a cop or a judge......what you do with your car is your buisness and will probably not affect me, and you don't have to answer to me, but with them it may be another story.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-07 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-02-07, 07:08 AM
freddymoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my neighborhood alone, i see many out-of-state tags from MD, DC, NC, etc. many of whom live in the townhouse for years and never get caught...and i do see fairfax county police driving by all the time...maybe they don't care??

but these ppl are cheating the system and not paying the personal property tax...which in essence have a negative impact on the VA tax system and revenue.

i also see people who drives with tags expiration...too many violators on the road in VA.
Old 07-02-07, 07:14 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the website that lists the offenses and how much each civil penalty is. It gives the breakdowns of installments that the state will allow, etc.
http://www.courts.state.va.us/publications/hb_3202.pdf

If you are from the area, this thread might be interesting enough to read through, it is from the S2000 forums, Mid-Atlantic Region forum:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=498701
Old 07-02-07, 02:10 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Based on personal experience with DC, try MD instead.
lol, I know... I've heard the DC DMV is the king of horrible DMVs... but I only own property in DC and VA, so I gotta pick one

Honestly, I think I will just stick with VA, and do my best not to get reckless... Another interesting note, reckless driving tickets stay on your VA DMV record for 11 (eleven) years!!!