Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August Road & Track G37 vs. 335 (+ Edmunds Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 08:26 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ego_man108
I agree. The weight of cars these days is balooning to the point where carmakers have to keep dumping more and more fuel into the cylinders just so the car meets or beats the previous model's 0-60 times. And because they also have to meet or beat the hwy MPG estimates, they keep putting taller final gears into the transmission, and and build more fuel-saving mappings into the engine and tranmission programme. Which makes it harder and harder to fully exploit the drivetrain's true potential. Even more importantly to me, is the negative impact all that weight has on handling.
I agree to an extent. It's funny when people complain about weight then you see people complaining that xyz doesn't have enough standard features. The car makers provide what most consumers ask for. They are a business, they are in it to make a profit while trying to stay as close to what their marquee is known for. What is also amazing, is despite the 335i's, IS350, & G37's weight, the cars handle comparably or even better in some cases than their previous generation models.
Old 07-02-07, 08:32 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very entertained by edmunds. They continually mention the Beemer's greater feel, yet in terms of driver feedback the 3series has become more tame with each passing generation.
Old 07-02-07, 08:34 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I'm very entertained by edmunds. They continually mention the Beemer's greater feel, yet in terms of driver feedback the 3series has become more tame with each passing generation.
The telepathic steering feel is as present as the previous generation. And compared to the competition, they still provide better driver feedback.
Old 07-02-07, 09:21 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Refining feedback and reducing feedback aren't necessarily the same thing.
Old 07-02-07, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Comparison Test: 2007 BMW 335i vs. 2008 Infiniti G37

Deceptively Close
Whether you consider this battle a pedigreed recasting of the Camaro-Mustang rivalry or a superficial spat to be had between handsomely paid professionals, one thing's certain: Neither coupe would have gotten this much engine if the other didn't exist.

Very likely, they wouldn't stop or handle as well, either. Nor would they each offer an active steering system as an option. At heart, the 2007 BMW 335i and 2008 Infiniti G37 are chasing the same driver.

And by most standards, the Infiniti G37 is an impressive car and a lot of fun. But it isn't as quick as the BMW 335i, nor does it engage its driver with equal commitment.

Due to its higher price and shorter features list, the 3 Series won this test by only 2.3 points. But contained within those points are all the details that make it a more intimate and involving driving partner.

"Nearly every aspect of our drive feels more natural in the 335i," one of our editors recorded in the notebook for this comparison. "I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better."

The manufacturers provided Edmunds these vehicles for the purposes of evaluation.

Old 07-02-07, 11:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

"Nearly every aspect of our drive feels more natural in the 335i," one of our editors recorded in the notebook for this comparison. "I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better."

The manufacturers provided Edmunds these vehicles for the purposes of evaluation.
That last statement just doesn't seem to add up considering what was written in the article.

Nevertheless, reading this Edmunds test I felt like was reading Car and Driver. Not becuase the BMW was chosen the winner, not a surprising result by any means, but because the whole article seemed to harp more on what they considered weaknesses of the G than fully explaining the BMW's strengths.
Old 07-02-07, 04:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
BMW reports their weight as unladen - which is higher than curb weight.

edit: acutally curb weight does not have to include fuel but might. However since fuel tanks vary in size, if you ask me, the only "clean" way to report acurate weights is unladen.....

edit2:and if you do a search on that, you will see that this has been discussed way too much on this board.
Do you know if BMW still includes that 170lbs average driver weight in their unladen weight specs? I know everyone always disputes BMWs unladen weight, but BMW does things their own way so the standard definition doesn't fully apply. Anyway, just wondering about the driver weight since I haven't keept up with it.
Old 07-02-07, 04:45 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

all i know is that the driver side suspension on all bimmers is higher than the passenger side to compensate for the driver's weight. i dont' know they include driver weight anymore.
Old 07-02-07, 04:48 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
The telepathic steering feel is as present as the previous generation. And compared to the competition, they still provide better driver feedback.
When I had my BMW 3 series I used to think it had one of the best steering feel and feed back around. I still do. I would now disagree with telepathic though. I've driven a few sports cars which I would now call telepathic steering and perfect steering feedback. It made my BMW feel like a boat. Not a large boat, but maybe a nice speed boat For its vehicle class though, I still feel it is the benchmark.
Old 07-02-07, 05:08 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OC 335i
maybe it's just me but when somebody mentions telepathic steering feel, I think of this

Old 07-02-07, 05:23 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

maybe it's just me but when somebody mentions telepathic steering feel, I think of this

this deserves to be posted twice.
Old 07-02-07, 07:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Telepathic steering feel? In a BMW? Give me a break. With BMW's active steering, throttle by wire, and electronic transmissions, they are about as telepathic as mid 80ies Chevy pick-ups.
Old 07-02-07, 07:43 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Driven one Jones?
Old 07-02-07, 07:43 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Do you know if BMW still includes that 170lbs average driver weight in their unladen weight specs? I know everyone always disputes BMWs unladen weight, but BMW does things their own way so the standard definition doesn't fully apply. Anyway, just wondering about the driver weight since I haven't keept up with it.
Can't tell - many sources say they do (making up for the curb weight differential) - others dispute. Nothing official out there - thus I refuse to get into it with Jones - he can do his own searching...
Old 07-02-07, 10:03 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Apples and oranges. Anyone comparing a BMW to an exotic sports car really just wants to argue to argue. See thread title. We are comparing the G37 and 335. If you want to compare other cars in its class, fine. But you are deviating a bit too much if you want to throw a Ferrari F40 into the mix. You are grasping for straws and don't really have an argument.

Quick Reply: August Road & Track G37 vs. 335 (+ Edmunds Comparo)