Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August Road & Track G37 vs. 335 (+ Edmunds Comparo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 10:49 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picus
So we're comparing Ferrari's to $40k sport-lux coupes now? Well hell, I was in a 599 the other day and let me tell you, that thing was a lot faster than my car. And only $415k more expensive. A BARGAIN!
not to mention a lot prettier.
Old 07-04-07, 08:07 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Who said it was a sports car? I'm not the one making references to a Ferrari F40 (a sports car) when we are talking about Entry Level Pseudo Sport Cruisers.
let me clarify, I don't think adjectives used to describe a sports car should be applied to luxury sports sedans.

Whether or not the 335i is the best vehicle in its class is not what I'm arguing.

You are a smart guy, you should know better than to make such misleading comparisons just for arguments sake. Tell me this, are 335i sales struggling?
I agree, and no sales are not struggling but apparently the extra fifteen thousand dollar premium isn't worth it to most people including most 3series owners (328i)
Old 07-04-07, 08:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I agree, and no sales are not struggling but apparently the extra fifteen thousand dollar premium isn't worth it to most people including most 3series owners (328i)
What costs an extra 15 grand? The 335i? It starts right under 40, so it's 15 grand over what? A moderately equipped Ford Taurus?
Old 07-04-07, 08:48 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

and by the numbers how many more units will the G37 sell compared to the 335i?
How many more Z's sell compared to the 335i?
How many more Corvettes sell compared to the 335i?
How many 328i's outsell the 335i
Doesn't the 997 outsell the 335i.

apparently the marketplace doesn't agree
Or you don't know how to add....

The 335i convertible has only been out for about three months. So why not compare the sales of the 335i coupe + convertible during this three month period....(April- June)

The 335i outsold the Z (and um, not sure where the other two people sit in this car - so not so sure about your comparisons)
The 335i outsold the 997 (and let's just take the 911, coupe, convert, and for good measure throw in the S variants)
Now if it makes you feel better, the Corvette did outsell the 335i coupe and convertible, but I ask you once again, How are you going to get four people into a Vette?????
Old 07-04-07, 11:26 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
Or you don't know how to add....

The 335i convertible has only been out for about three months. So why not compare the sales of the 335i coupe + convertible during this three month period....(April- June)

The 335i outsold the Z (and um, not sure where the other two people sit in this car - so not so sure about your comparisons)
The 335i outsold the 997 (and let's just take the 911, coupe, convert, and for good measure throw in the S variants)
Now if it makes you feel better, the Corvette did outsell the 335i coupe and convertible, but I ask you once again, How are you going to get four people into a Vette?????
Originally Posted by Threxx
What costs an extra 15 grand? The 335i? It starts right under 40, so it's 15 grand over what? A moderately equipped Ford Taurus?
People like to skew numbers to their favor when arguing just for the sake of arguing. Then they pick on your use of adjectives on a car forum.

Here is a good line I've read recently on a car forum:
We are all car enthusiasts, we all share the same passion. We should just be able to appreciate our common interests and differences in taste.
Old 07-04-07, 01:25 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Then they pick on your use of adjectives on a car forum.
funny cause its nearly everyday around here I see a BMW owner picking on a Lexus owner because their cars are so boring compared to their telepathic BMW.
Old 07-04-07, 01:25 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
Now if it makes you feel better
yes it does, thanks for making my day.
Old 07-04-07, 01:52 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

funny cause its nearly everyday around here I see a BMW owner picking on a Lexus owner because their cars are so boring compared to their telepathic BMW.
There's no need to play Captain Save-A-Lexus, bitter much? Is the steering on the BMW more telepathic than Lexus? Can I use that word when comparing the two? Is it okay? Or is the word patented for Ferrari use only?

I'm one of the first to say, Lexus builds very nice cars but they are totally different than BMW. Sure, they may be a bit boring to people who like to drive cars more geared into performance. But who cares? I think it's Lexus' intent to isolate the driver/passengers from the road. It's a luxury feel. Some people don't want to be connected to the road. That's fine.

I don't see how Lexus suddenly became the topic of discussion (read thread title). There's no need to be bitter at BMWs because they make great cars also.

Let's get back to the topic at hand before the thread gets locked. I think it's safe to say, we have different opinions on different cars. I like BMWs, I like Lexus, and I like Infiniti. I just like cars.

Again...
We are all car enthusiasts, we all share the same passion. We should just be able to appreciate our common interests and differences in taste.

What's taking so long for this car to come out? :P
Old 07-04-07, 02:13 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
Bang for your buck has never been BMW's strong suit and I'm afraid it never will be. BMW, IMHO caters to a relatively young, somewhat successful crowd that wants the car as a measure of success and obviously caters to your more performance oriented driver. Japanese companies are known more for bang for your buck and until recently, more for "econoboxes" such as your typical Honda or Toyota. It is quite refreshing to see Lexus move to towards the more expensive, upper-echelon luxury cruisers, such as the LS600h L, LF-A, and IS-F. I wish Honda had the same mentality (and budget) to evolutionize the NSX/S2000. Honda now and then will build such absolutely fabulous cars, then let them become dated.

Last edited by OC 335d; 07-04-07 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 03:55 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

There's no need to play Captain Save-A-Lexus, bitter much? Is the steering on the BMW more telepathic than Lexus? Can I use that word when comparing the two? Is it okay? Or is the word patented for Ferrari use only?
you can't patent a phrase. you can trademark one like, "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

but anyways.

I'm not bitter, maybe annoyed.
Take for instance

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=Lightning+Lap

a C6 Z06 outruns everything and it isn't even mentioned in the thread.

BMW this, BMW that, BMW is worth the extra $15k (yet the G35 is CR's favorite entry level luxury sedan)

BMW is >* arguments seem to go on endlessly, mainly thanks to BMW owners and C&D. Sometimes I forget where I am.

Why even own a sports car anymore? The automotive mags (not the marketplace) have spoken and BMW's are the ultimate driving machines. Nothing else matters
Old 07-04-07, 04:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you can't patent a phrase. you can trademark one like, "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

but anyways.

I'm not bitter, maybe annoyed.
Take for instance

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=Lightning+Lap

BMW this, BMW that, BMW is worth the extra $15k (yet the G35 is CR's favorite entry level luxury sedan)

BMW is >* arguments seem to go on endlessly, mainly thanks to BMW owners and C&D. Sometimes I forget where I am.

Why even own a sports car anymore? The automotive mags (not the marketplace) have spoken and BMW's are the ultimate driving machines. Nothing else matters
See I agree with that 100%. It is annoying how BMW is praised all over, by magazines, and their owners, but hardly anybody is willing to talk about BMW's faults and shortcomings. I for instance had 3 Lexii, 1 Honda, and I've spoken about my cars plusses and minuses, however I'm yet to see a single 323 owner admit that their car is rubbish. Heck, you have BMW calling themselves a performance brand, yet they do not make a single REAL sports car, never have, never will, and most of their line-up is rather average, if not pathetic. At least they no longer have 180hp 325/525 that would get their *** handed to them by a Taurus, but even nowadays a V6 Accord/Camry will give a good run for the money to most of their line-up. And their high output engines have been nothing but trouble, with M5's engines suffering from compression loss, M3's engines have wide array of problems, and even the new 335 suffering from overheating. Pretty pathetic when a brand new performance car from a "performance" brand can't hold a candle to anti-sporty Toyota's 15 year old Supra.

And then you have their active steering, electronic throttles and transmissions, that all take away from the driving experience, yet you have people willing to argue to death how telepathic BMW's are.

And when you consider that BMW interiors are the ugliest, least luxurious in class, and their control systems are awkward, it just boggles my mind that people even buy these things. I mean, you have the 7 series, which has the most ridiculous implementation of I-drive and the most awkwardly placed controls, and then you have a 5 series with the handbrake in the center console, leaving the driver without a handrest, and to have an electronic gear shifter next to the handbrake is laughable. Yeah, yeah, I know you can buy one with a manual transmission, but nobody does anyway. I could go on and on about lack of ergonomics or common sense in BMW's interior designs but I really don't want to. All I can say is I wish they would take a lesson from Lexus and Acura when it came to interiors and controls. Out of all of their vehicles, the 3 series is the only one with decent interior and comprehendible controls, but unfortunately it’s ugly and cheaply built, somewhere on par with last gen G35. And lets not forget the controversial styling of their "Bangled" line-up.

Of course, no car is perfect, not even Lexus, and every car has its own share of plusses, minuses, and compromises. But as far as BMW’s are concerned, I personally feel that their minuses and compromises simply overshadow whatever plusses they might have, and the only thing selling them is the badge and abundance of people that need the badge to compensate for their own shortcomings, combined of course with BMW’s subsidized lease rates.
Old 07-04-07, 05:19 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
See I agree with that 100%. It is annoying how BMW is praised all over, by magazines, and their owners, but hardly anybody is willing to talk about BMW's faults and shortcomings. I for instance had 3 Lexii, 1 Honda, and I've spoken about my cars plusses and minuses, however I'm yet to see a single 323 owner admit that their car is rubbish. Heck, you have BMW calling themselves a performance brand, yet they do not make a single REAL sports car, never have, never will, and most of their line-up is rather average, if not pathetic.
BMWs are all around cars that are oriented towards performance. They don't have to be Porsche to be a performance brand.

Pretty pathetic when a brand new performance car from a "performance" brand can't hold a candle to anti-sporty Toyota's 15 year old Supra.
I'd take a new M3 over a Supra. See Nurburging times.

And then you have their active steering, electronic throttles and transmissions, that all take away from the driving experience, yet you have people willing to argue to death how telepathic BMW's are.
You keep bringing up active steering when the majority of the cars at BMW lots do NOT have active steering.

then you have a 5 series with the handbrake in the center console, leaving the driver without a handrest, and to have an electronic gear shifter next to the handbrake is laughable. Yeah, yeah, I know you can buy one with a manual transmission, but nobody does anyway.
At least manual is an option, unlike cough cough... The handbrake isn't as bad as Lexus' foot handbrake.

Of course, no car is perfect, not even Lexus, and every car has its own share of plusses, minuses, and compromises. But as far as BMW’s are concerned, I personally feel that their minuses and compromises simply overshadow whatever plusses they might have, and the only thing selling them is the badge and abundance of people that need the badge to compensate for their own shortcomings, combined of course with BMW’s subsidized lease rates.
Right on queue! You say a comment like "no car is perfect, not even Lexus" to justify your comments then you go attacking BMW owners. You never mention any BMW pluses, you are constantly attacking BMW and their owners. You're a real class act.

Then again, I should know better than to argue with someone about performance cars, since you have so much knowledge on the subject, coming from 1 Honda, 1 Lexus GS, and 1 Lexus LS. Pure performance cars you have there, you are obviously well-versed on driving performance cars. I bet you haven't even been on the track. BMW holds several performance classes, offers performance center delivery, and you will see many BMWs on the track. You don't see the same with Toyota, since they generally aren't geared towards performance. You will be hard pressed to find many Lexus at the track as well. I dislike the ignorant die hard BMW fan boys as much as anyone, but being an anti-BMW zealot isn't much better.

Last edited by OC 335d; 07-04-07 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 05:21 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe because the C6 Z06 isn't a Sporty Coupe? Why are you comparing Apples and Oranges again? I guess you are getting closer than your F40 comparisons. Hey, when the IS-F comes around, I'll start comparing it to a Porsche GT3.
Old 07-04-07, 05:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMWs are all around cars that are oriented towards performance. They don't have to be Porsche to be a performance brand.
But how about a single true sports car? NSX, S2K for instance? How about a single RELIABLE, hassle free high output engine?

I'd take a new M3 over a Supra. See Nurburging times.
I've no doubts that the new M3 will easily outperform a Supra, but what about reliability? If its anything like the current M3, no thanks.

You keep bringing up active steering when the majority of the cars at BMW lots do NOT have active steering.
But majority of them do have throttle by wire and electronic transmissions, all taking away from driving feel and feedback.

At least manual is an option, unlike cough cough... The handbrake isn't as bad as Lexus' foot handbrake.
I bet most BMW owners don't even know how to drive a stick. And Lexus foot handbrake is perfect. Being that a parking brake is virtually useless in a car with automatic transmission, I like having it out of sight, and not taking up space in the center console.

Right on queue! You say a comment like "no car is perfect, not even Lexus" to justify your comments then you go attacking BMW owners. You're a real class act.
Well, I don't know, maybe I'm not perfect either, but when I see BMW owners claim that their 323's, or better yet, X3's and X5's are uber sports cars, it just makes me go

Then again, I should know better than to argue with someone about performance cars, since you have so much knowledge on the subject, coming from 1 Honda, 1 Lexus GS, and 1 Lexus LS. Pure performance cars you have there, you are obviously well-versed on driving performance cars. I bet you haven't even been on the track. BMW holds several performance classes, offers performance center delivery, and you will see many BMWs on the track. You don't see the same with Toyota, since they generally aren't geared towards performance. You will be hard pressed to find many Lexus at the track as well. I dislike the ignorant die hard BMW fan boys as much as anyone, but being an anti-BMW zealot isn't much better.
First of all thats 2 Lexus GS, and I'm utterly disappointed with the 2nd one, and looking to replace it with something else... However being generally spoiled by Lexus, it isn't easy to find a worthy replacement, especially nowadays, when most new cars are so ugly and cheaply built, including L-finessed Lexii.

As far as myself, I've never claimed to be Michael Schumacher, and while I do like an agressive drive here and there, I also value comfort, build quality, styling, utility, etc, etc, and BMW's simply do not appeal to me in any of these aspects. Sure, if I was rich, I'd have myself LS600 for a luxury car, S2000 for rotations, and Viper SRT10 or very modified Supra to haul some ***. Unfortunately, I'm not rich, so I do have to make more sensible choices.
Old 07-04-07, 05:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Since no one seem interested in discussing the topic of this thread, G37 vs. 335i anymore ...